Is it ok to stack a lot of washers on the flange?

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Finally getting round round to installing my rear hub and the next head scratched is that in the instructions it says the flange on the spindle can be below the edge of the freewheel and that I need to use washers to build it up till they exceed the edge of the freewheel.

Because I have a 9 cog freewheel the flange on my spindle is at least a cm below the edge of the silver freewheel as shown in the photo so can I just stack them up along the orange line until it emerges beyond the freewheel? Few questions....
1. Is it safe to do that?
2. Are there any thicker washers to use or is it ok to use as many as needed to build up the height?
3. Any particular size washer for the spindle?

Thanks all.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need 12 dia holed penny type washers and a 12 mm dia holed collar/bush. Make sure the internal dia is 12mm/M12 and the outer dia is right as well to suit the freewheel so might need to be about 19/20mm ?
Look for something like in the link below, use one 12mm holed washer then a collar/bush.

Another cheaper option is a Oilite Bronze bush if you can find one the correct size with a washer either side.

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderer99

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
You will need 12 dia holed penny type washers and a 12 mm dia holed collar/bush. Make sure the internal dia is 12mm/M12 and the outer dia is right as well to suit the freewheel so might need to be about 19/20mm ?
Look for something like in the link below, use one 12mm holed washer then a collar/bush.

Another cheaper option is a Oilite Bronze bush if you can find one the correct size with a washer either side.
Thanks bud. However I measured the diameter of the axle thread earlier and it was larger than 12mm in diameter (from curved edge to curved edge) more 13/14mm.

I found some 14mm washers on Amazon that have a small enough outer diameter to sit inside the freewheel. Attached photo. Would these be ok to stack up inside the freewheel until they are slightly proud? I'm just worried about stacking them, I would probably need about 4, maybe 5.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: wonderer99

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Ooh I copied a spacer I got with my Yose 250w kit years ago, I got two spacers and two "C"[horse shoe] washers with the kit... found a laser cutter online that did small jobs and got 4 full spacers cut to fit the hub motor axle they cost about £15.00

LaserMaster

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
FYI, I was doing this a few weeks ago, using soft steel washers. Needed two washers, but when I torqued up the axle, the inside washer deformed, and hit the inside of the freewheel. Then I ground off some metal off the washer, and it collapsed under torque and the 2nd one hit. Ha. I finally did the right thing and stole a metal spacer off another motor I had.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before buying anything, put the wheel in the frame as it is and check whether the rim is central. This is just for testing. I don't mean you should install it like that permanently. If you need to pack out that much, it probably won't be, so think about using a freewheel with a lot less stack height, like a 5 or 7 speed. You probably won't need to dish the wheel with a 5 speed and you might need a moderate dish with the 7 speed. I doubt that you can dish enough for a 9 speed, but it depends on whether your frame has an off-set to compensate.

Another option is to stretch your frame and put washers on the other side to even it out, but that's problematic if you have a disc brake. It can still be done by using disc spacers.