Is It Safer Riding an Electric Bike?

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
50 Cycles is running a survey questioning whether it is safer to ride an electric bike rather than riding a standard pedal cycle. I personally feel that riding an electric bicycle makes the biggest contribution to being safer by eliminating potential health risks that cycling presents. Thought it would be a good idea to start discussion around the topic and what improvements we can suggest to improve the safety of cycling generally.
Should we be asking for some specific legislation to apply to cyclists e.g. Making it illegal to pass a long vehicle at traffic lights or roundabout on the side the driver signals intention to turn?
Should there be more cycling clips in the Hazard Perception Tests including ones where cyclists put themselves in danger?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I think legal 16 mph max assistance e-bikes are more dangerous than lighter none-electric bikes because in all instances other than uphill they're slower, it is hard work to make a draggy heavy e-bike go above the assisted 16 mph limit.

Because of that the speed difference is greater, meaning moving out to turn right isn't as easy, and because you're going slower more cars pass you, and with a bigger speed difference.

Fast fit cyclists are at much less risk. and this stupid habit of councils to segregate cyclists one minute with a white line for a few yards makes the situation worse, and advance boxes at traffic lights encourage this dangerous undertaking.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think legal 16 mph max assistance e-bikes are more dangerous than lighter none-electric bikes because in all instances other than uphill they're slower, it is hard work to make a draggy heavy e-bike go above the assisted 16 mph limit.

Because of that the speed difference is greater, meaning moving out to turn right isn't as easy, and because you're going slower more cars pass you, and with a bigger speed difference.

Fast fit cyclists are at much less risk. and this stupid habit of councils to segregate cyclists one minute with a white line for a few yards makes the situation worse, and advance boxes at traffic lights encourage this dangerous undertaking.
Stu is spot on.

It's tempting to think the 100 mile a day roadies must have a death wish, but they are able to keep pace with the traffic much of the time which is much safer.

The 15mph cut off on ebikes can be a safety hazard.

A modest increase to 20mph would make ebiking in town and suburbia less of a risk.

Stu is also right about the advance stop lines.

Cyclists beetling alongside stopped traffic to reach the line are at risk, whichever side they do it.

Having made the line, there can be yet more risk when lights turn green and impatient motorists try to barge past the cyclists as they set off.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I am against legislation, especially for what one would hopefully excepts as common sense, there is a highway code and cyclist should abide by it. To make cycling safer I think building cycle lanes separate from mainstream traffic or create barriers to prevent traffic encroaching on to existing cycle lane , undoubtedly this would cost lots of money maybe 5% the cost of HS2, but hey who counting clearly not the HS2 advocates

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Not too sure on the "faster the safer" argument. 15mph is faster than the regular non electric commuter speed, at least were I live. Motorists get used to this average speed I think (around 12mph say) Are we suggesting that riding at 25 or 30mph is safer because we can then keep up with the traffic?!

I've only had an electric bike for 3 months and was very surprised at how fast I was going relative to my non electric bike. On a few occasions I went into bends too fast. Even though my bike has a front disc brake, I'm not convinced it has the additional stopping power it needs because of my higher average speed and weight.

Can someone convince me that ebike brakes are designed for ebikes, or are they, as I suspect, the same as ordinary bikes?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
hydraulic brakes are needed at speed over 12mph, especially to slow down quickly around bends.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Not too sure on the "faster the safer" argument. 15mph is faster than the regular non electric commuter speed, at least were I live. Motorists get used to this average speed I think (around 12mph say) Are we suggesting that riding at 25 or 30mph is safer because we can then keep up with the traffic?!
I feel much safer going faster, on my restricted e-bike there are situations where I need to take the right hand lane and I find it dangerous when I'm going slower, I have even ended up stopping on the left to wait for a gap that never happened when I was fit and healthy on my racer.

Can someone convince me that ebike brakes are designed for ebikes, or are they, as I suspect, the same as ordinary bikes?
They're standard ordinary brakes so far.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I don't think there's any difference. Whether you're on an ebike or a push bike, you're still slower than what all other traffic is capable of. You're still the smallest vehicle on the road and you're still vulnerable with no safety cage around you.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
hydraulic brakes are needed at speed over 12mph, especially to slow down quickly around bends.
Rubbish. They are better granted but not NEEDED above a miserable 12 mph!

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I feel much safer going faster, on my restricted e-bike there are situations where I need to take the right hand lane and I find it dangerous when I'm going slower, I have even ended up stopping on the left to wait for a gap that never happened when I was fit and healthy on my racer.

Yes right hand lanes can be intimidating. Not really troubled me in York though.

They're standard ordinary brakes so far.
Exactly! Not very reassuring. My disc is cable operated not hydraulic, so it's not up to the job?

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
legal requirement is a phrase that always scares me - that means number plates (for id) taxation, safety tests, then its helmets, padding, insurance..........

its hard enough to encourage people on bikes to stop at red lights already, and any other front loaded costs would make ebikes even less likely to catch on.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I ride both types, a non-assisted Cube and a Kalkhoff Pro-Connect. I use both to commute along the same route which is a mixture of towns, rural 40 MPH A roads and country lanes. The type of bike you are riding makes absolutely no difference to safety. Safety comes from the bike rider. It's no one else's responsibility and it's certainly not anything to do with the legislators who imposed the 15 MPH max assist speed.

The bike rider has to take account of the constantly varying situation and part of the picture is the type of bike being ridden. The best safety mechanism is an ability to be self critical, to know when you have done something stupid, admit it to yourself, learn from it and don't do it again. There is always a danger of being wiped out by the reckless actions of someone else, even if you are totally in the right, but with good vigilance and good a perception ability (nurtured through self analysis), the probability of that happening is lowered. We, the cyclists, are our own biggest danger. We must take on the responsibility of mitigating the consequences of actions taken by fools. Morally this isn't right, but that's of no comfort when you have been squashed.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I ride both types, a non-assisted Cube and a Kalkhoff Pro-Connect. I use both to commute along the same route which is a mixture of towns, rural 40 MPH A roads and country lanes. The type of bike you are riding makes absolutely no difference to safety. Safety comes from the bike rider. It's no one else's responsibility and it's certainly not anything to do with the legislators who imposed the 15 MPH max assist speed.

The bike rider has to take account of the constantly varying situation and part of the picture is the type of bike being ridden. The best safety mechanism is an ability to be self critical, to know when you have done something stupid, admit it to yourself, learn from it and don't do it again. There is always a danger of being wiped out by the reckless actions of someone else, even if you are totally in the right, but with good vigilance and good a perception ability (nurtured through self analysis), the probability of that happening is lowered. We, the cyclists, are our own biggest danger. We must take on the responsibility of mitigating the consequences of actions taken by fools. Morally this isn't right, but that's of no comfort when you have been squashed.
I agree that a good deal of safety is down to the cyclist him or herself. Totally disagree on you comment of about the type of bike making no difference to safety.

Size, weight, tyres, brakes, mud guards and responsiveness all contribute to safety. Different bikes and or tyres for summer and winter conditions.

Keeping up with the traffic reduces motorists tendency to get frustrated with the slower traffic.
It is obvious that on any bike you could not keep up on a dual carriageway but around town any e-bike that has a reasonable turn of speed will and in my opinion be a safer option.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Just filled in the 50cycle form:rolleyes:
What I'm seeing here are speed related views of riders mixing it with fast moving traffic.
No one has mentioned shared cycle paths.
Is it safe to let anyone ride these higher speed bikes (20mph has been suggested)
We've all seen the mother with pushchair, toddler and sometimes accompanied by a dog using the shared pathways.
I for one don't think we should be doing those speeds in those circumstances but if you make 20mph the limit someone will.
Common sense isn't as common as people think.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Just filled in the 50cycle form:rolleyes:
What I'm seeing here are speed related views of riders mixing it with fast moving traffic.
No one has mentioned shared cycle paths.
Is it safe to let anyone ride these higher speed bikes (20mph has been suggested)
We've all seen the mother with pushchair, toddler and sometimes accompanied by a dog using the shared pathways.
I for one don't think we should be doing those speeds in those circumstances but if you make 20mph the limit someone will.
Common sense isn't as common as people think.
20mph can be perfectly ok on an empty path. On a busy path, 2 mph may be more appropriate.

There is no such thing as a safe speed, safer yes. It is always up to the user to ride appropriately.

Not all of my bikes have speedometers but somehow I manage to get from A to B swiftly without too much trouble.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Could technology increase cycling safety? Development of autonomous driverless vehicles is now at an an advanced stage, will mass production and use of this technology affect how we cycle on our roads?

CoachMark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2013
The Yorkshire Alps
I don't see why. Surely it depends on rider + bike weight? I used to ride road bikes at over 20mph and with a combined weight of nearly 100Kg didn't need hydraulic brakes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
coachmark, have you tried side byside hydraulic / cable disc / Vee?
Hydraulic brakes are fast acting, proportional and easily have twice the stopping power of cable disc brakes. I only need to squeeze a little to slow down the bike immediately, they re-assure me. Vee brakes have good stopping power but are inconsistent, difficult to control the amount of braking. I find that cable disc brakes are easy to control but less efficient than V-brakes.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes are potentially safer in respect of the deaths due to being alongside or between vehicles, simply because a loss of momentum is more acceptable when there's added power available to regain speed.

Many of the normal bike accidents in cities are due to cyclists taking risks in squeezing past or between vehicles rather than slowing down and losing hard won momentum. A video in a current thread of a cyclist colliding with the side of a car shows this aspect very clearly.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I think ebikes are much safer uphill when passing parked cars,because you can get past them faster meaning less time stuck in the middle of the road,with impatient drivers trying to pass,but on islands and approaching road junctions i think you are less safe,because car drivers are not expecting you too be travelling at the faster speeds,ebikes can travel at and are more likelly to pull out on you.