Is it worth having a throttle?

divingshrek

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hi,

I'm about to convert my Nucleus 275 MTB to mid drive using a Woosh TSDZ2 kit and was wondering if it's worth having a throttle.
I live at the bottom of a steep valley so this picture shows the kind of challenge I face. Unsure if a throttle might be useful or maybe just avoid the big hills until I get my fitness back.

Rather than specific answers I'm after general opinions if throttles are useful in very hilly area's

Thanks
Ian

MH2.png

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A throttle is useful for all sorts of things. It's saved me a few times when I was not able to pedal. If you're pedalling on level one and you need instant full power, the throtte will give it to you. It can make hill starting easier and is good for getting you going when you're hampered by carrying heavy things. Also it can keep you going when you have to traverse very bumpy terrain or through floods.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Ian,
I agree with vfr400.
It is useful to have the throttle in reserve, especially given your medical history.
Having said that, look at vidtek's review:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/whoosh-crank-drive-tongsheng-kit-review.34071/#post-489738

Extract:
When the weather improves I will take it to the town centre and try my luck at the infamous Richmond Hill.
I can't believe our idiot council actually put a cycle lane up this hill. I have never seen any cyclist attempt it, I certainly wouldn't without assist. In the old days of trolley buses the conductors made every passenger get off and walk up this hill because the bus just wouldn't make it with a full complement of passengers.
My Woosh Sunbear had a bit of difficulty up this hill, my Eagle Freego wouldn't even look at it.

I am not sure whether vidtek has tackled this hill yet, but in any event,
just select Turbo/Maximum support on the VLCD5 and find the right gear for a comfortable cadence.
Once you are up the hill, turn down the assistance.

I have loads of steep hills in West Wales and my Yamaha powered Haibike helps me climb them in comfort.

Good luck with the build.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi,

I'm about to convert my Nucleus 275 MTB to mid drive using a Woosh TSDZ2 kit and was wondering if it's worth having a throttle.
I live at the bottom of a steep valley so this picture shows the kind of challenge I face. Unsure if a throttle might be useful or maybe just avoid the big hills until I get my fitness back.

Rather than specific answers I'm after general opinions if throttles are useful in very hilly area's

Thanks
Ian

View attachment 29507
Full throttles are great especially starting up on hills like yours! They are also progressive unlike thumb throttles and more comfortable to use.

Reactions: divingshrek

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are two TSDZ kits one with and one without throttle, if you want a throttle get the right kit as the software is configured differently and the non throttle version has no input for one on the LCD display.

Most hub based kits with Bafang, Luishi or KT controllers usually have the ability to add a throttle but you do need to double check that the controller has the extra connection before buying.

For simplicity buy a kit with a throttle so then you have the option should you decide one is needed or is of use later.

Reactions: divingshrek

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I've always thought Pedel sensors only bikes defeats the purpose of ebikes, if you have to cycle under normal power before the hub motor kicks in. Also throttles are great for getting away from traffic at stops. Starting from stand-still on a hill must be a pain for those with pedal sensors only, but then i guess that what gears are for.

With the take up of ebikes being aimed at older folks it makes you wonder if there's any joined-up thinking on this aspect of the 2016 legislation. I can't remember the last time i had to use my gears :)

That said, there must be a greater load on the battery when the throttle provides that initial power, instead of the pedal sensor. You could see the use of the pedal sensor as creating momentum before the motor takes over.

Its likely that the legislators had in mind, the thought of a/ the bike jerking out of control on initial use of the throttle, or b/ the rider not being in full control for stopping.

a/ could be managed by the controller to limit power when the throttle is used from standstill, although there is still the question of required torque versis motor speed.

b/ should not be a problem with dedicated ebrakes, which ofcourse cuts power as soon as they are applied.

Note to kit builders. Make sure you upgrade your brakes to ebrakes !!

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was very glad of my throttle this morning!

About 6 miles in to a 10 mile commute on a steep hill my chain broke. I am a shift worker and this happened at about 04:45 in the morning.

I actually do carry a split link but did not fancy that by the side of the road by torch light.

I bagged the chain for mending later.

My throttle got me to work a fair bit slower but not late and the chain is now fixed and back on the bike ready for my ride to work tomorrow.

The bike in question is an old Oxygen Emate city that came with a full speed throttle from new and for a break down that prevents you pedaling is a get you home or in my case to work life saver.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
They are also progressive unlike thumb throttles and more comfortable to use.
The thumb throttle on both my bikes is definitely progressive but it's easy to think they aren't and use as an on/off switch.
Dave.