Is that burning plastic I can smell?

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Well I've tracked down my "battery on its last legs" problem on my Wisper..

It seems the fuse holder in my Lishen battery wasn't making good contact with the fuse (some sort of sealent gunk on the fuse and contacts). Naturally when the motor was under high load, this bad contact started to heat up melting the plastic around the fuse holder (and lowering the voltage getting to the motor).
I tried cleaning the fuse holder contacts, but it still got very hot, so for now I've soldered the fuse in. (I'll replace it with a proper 30A car blade fuse type holder & 20A fuse).

Result:
A little bit more power perhaps (or am I imagining it)?
No low battery light after only 4 miles (I can call off the search for a new battery for a while longer!)
and certainly no molten plastic smell....

Cheers
Steve

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I can't be;ieve I am about to agree with Bob, but I find WD40 does work wonders on electrical connectors.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Flecc said....

Flecc

Does it worry you that your name is used in vain on a regular basis? I haven't checked but quite a few of your posts must read "I never said that!" or similar.

Conal

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc

Does it worry you that your name is used in vain on a regular basis? I haven't checked but quite a few of your posts must read "I never said that!" or similar.

Conal
It does, since I don't like anyone potentially being misled in this way. If anyone wants to post advice, they should do it in their own name or link to the other person's advice.

In this case its not the first time I've had to ask Bob not to misuse my name.

Onslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
Get one of those little trademark signs after your name.....that would be good.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Grumpy

Sorry to call you a thicko i did not know you was joking about tartan paint.
WD40 is kepy at the side of my bed for squeaky doors.
we should make a wd40 forum.

thx

Bob

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
WD40 is kepy at the side of my bed for squeaky doors.
thx

Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(im sure somebody else posted this somewhere, this apparantley gets me out of any legal writs for slander)

as the majority of your posts are so loose Bob im wondering if the can tipped over one night and WD40 ooozed out into your ears...

thx

Keith[/QUOTE] :rolleyes:

Last edited: