Is the Raleigh Strada TSE any good?

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
Hi I’m thinking of buying the Raleigh Strada TSE, does anyone have one that can give me some real feedback.
Specially power of the bike and real range when using the maximum power setting

Thanks

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Just about to post same question funnily enough
I'm contemplating this or the whoosh Rio MTB currently.
Not heard of the tranzx M16 motor hopefully some members will be able to shed some light

Reactions: David Kilpatrick
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi I’m thinking of buying the Raleigh Strada TSE, does anyone have one that can give me some real feedback.

Thanks
Range is more or less the same on any bike, regardless of what the sellers claim, i.e. a bike with a 400wh battery wil take you the same distance as another one with the same size battery and using the same power.

Actual range depends more on the rider and his/her rides than the bike, so to say much more can be completely irrelevant, but, as a general rule, an average ride with an average (not too fit) rider using average power will get about 1 mile from each 10 watt-hours. On maximum power, on the road, that would go down to about 20 miles from 400wh.

The thing to think about more than anything is who's going to fix your bike when it goes wrong and when it's out of warranty. That bike has a not so common Transx motor system. It's not something that your average electrical engineer can fix without the special equipment. Dealers come and go. I see many people who are completely stranded with their bikes, which probably have easy simple faults, and nobody nearby that can fix them. I always recommend that people should either buy a bike with Chinese electrical stuff that anybody can fix or get a very common brand of electrical system, like Bosch or Shimano.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only thing I know about the TransX motor is that it's Taiwan's first serious step into crank units, and it's small size led the way in that direction, others following in size reduction.

It's been around for at least three years and I don't know why it hasn't been more widely adopted, since Taiwanese stuff is generally good.

Personally I'd take a punt on it since all the others have their problems and it might just be the one that doesn't. But that's a gamble of course so should only be taken if one can afford a loss. You'd be ok for two years since it's a Raleigh from Accell Group.

Reactions: David Kilpatrick

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Agree in principle, I just don't have that sort of money to spend on a Bosch or Shimano system, only reason in even considering this , is because of the cycle to work scheme.i can't justify spending more due to government capping wages and a small family to feed.
I already have a more than capable bike I built but it's overkill and came into this to better myself but find it's too easy to be lazy.
Thanks again gents

Montybaber

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2018
Dorset
That’s what I’m looking at really good price, just wasn’t sure about it or try picking up a used Giant with the Yamaha system
I am still new to this but it looks good to me for the money, in fact I'm not sure I'd have bought what I did (Haibike) if I had seen that one lol

Smartieperson

Aug 20, 2020

Thanks
I appreciate this is an old post now, but I thought I’d comment anyway, since I actually bought a Raleigh Strada TSE and am still using it! I’ve done in excess of 3000 miles, and its generally performed excellently. The overall specification is what I wanted i.e A ‘hybrid’ eBike, mid-mount motor, 700c wheels, hydraulic disk brakes, active suspension, on/off road tyres. In my opinion, nice looking too! I was slightly concerned about the ‘unknown’ make of electric motor, the ‘TranzX’, but was conversely reassured by the ‘Raleigh‘ Brand. Has worked faultlessly, apart from two incidents of running out of power, once definitely my fault, the other unexplained but probably my fault again, and one occurrence of an ‘error code’ after I had washed it (not a good idea spraying water into the electrics) which went away once it had dried out. The main issue with a less popular make is that there’s very little information to be found, but eventually I found a list of error codes. I expect at some point the system will break, but don‘t they all? Mine is now nearly three years old, so well past the warranty. Also, this model has now been discontinued, so spare parts are probably a problem. But apart from those ‘theoretical’ worries, the bike has delivered exactly what I wanted: a mixture of road riding and off road fun, along paved, gravel and dirt paths and tracks, offering assistance when I need it making any hill a breeze, extending the distabce I can manage and speed I can achieve. In terms of the range possible, I typically do 20 miles on the highest setting without running out, so about 30-40 is realistic. But you don‘t need to be on ‘maximum‘ all the time, in fact no assistance is used downhill or when over 15mph, so with careful management I believe 60+ miles is easily achievable. And of course, you can switch the assistance off so you can always ‘get home’, it just takes longer and is more work! Overall, I throughly recommend this eBike for a mixture of ‘adventure‘ trail and road cycling.

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I appreciate this is an old post now, but I thought I’d comment anyway, since I actually bought a Raleigh Strada TSE and am still using it! I’ve done in excess of 3000 miles, and its generally performed excellently. The overall specification is what I wanted i.e A ‘hybrid’ eBike, mid-mount motor, 700c wheels, hydraulic disk brakes, active suspension, on/off road tyres. In my opinion, nice looking too! I was slightly concerned about the ‘unknown’ make of electric motor, the ‘TranzX’, but was conversely reassured by the ‘Raleigh‘ Brand. Has worked faultlessly, apart from two incidents of running out of power, once definitely my fault, the other unexplained but probably my fault again, and one occurrence of an ‘error code’ after I had washed it (not a good idea spraying water into the electrics) which went away once it had dried out. The main issue with a less popular make is that there’s very little information to be found, but eventually I found a list of error codes. I expect at some point the system will break, but don‘t they all? Mine is now nearly three years old, so well past the warranty. Also, this model has now been discontinued, so spare parts are probably a problem. But apart from those ‘theoretical’ worries, the bike has delivered exactly what I wanted: a mixture of road riding and off road fun, along paved, gravel and dirt paths and tracks, offering assistance when I need it making any hill a breeze, extending the distabce I can manage and speed I can achieve. In terms of the range possible, I typically do 20 miles on the highest setting without running out, so about 30-40 is realistic. But you don‘t need to be on ‘maximum‘ all the time, in fact no assistance is used downhill or when over 15mph, so with careful management I believe 60+ miles is easily achievable. And of course, you can switch the assistance off so you can always ‘get home’, it just takes longer and is more work! Overall, I throughly recommend this eBike for a mixture of ‘adventure‘ trail and road cycling.
It's nice to see confirmation about the long term reliability of this TranzX M16 drive system. The only problem with it seems to be that it doesn't have "Bosch" written on it, which likely explains why most will overlook it as a perfectly credible option.

It's nice to also know that the M16 motor, first introduced in 2014, still features in TranzX's current 2020 catalogue, so replacement parts shouldn't pose any problem if issues should arise.

Reactions: Smartieperson

Smartieperson

Aug 20, 2020
It's nice to see confirmation about the long term reliability of this TranzX M16 drive system. The only problem with it seems to be that it doesn't have "Bosch" written on it, which likely explains why most will overlook it as a perfectly credible option.

It's nice to also know that the M16 motor, first introduced in 2014, still features in TranzX's current 2020 catalogue, so replacement parts shouldn't pose any problem if issues should arise.
As well as long-term reliability, I can confirm that the TranzX M16 motor provides good assistance from a standstill up to the limit of 15mph, and so I believe at least on a par with the competitors. And it’s very quiet, almost silent, something that I understand is not the case with Bosch motors, which I have also observed seem to have a much smaller drive Chain wheel, which must make the motor spin faster (presumably making a higher pitched noise) in effectively a lower gear. In fact, the noisiest thing about the Raleigh Strada is the stand, which unfortunately is not well riveted and rattles; I could take it off but its too useful.

Reactions: Bikes4two

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As well as long-term reliability, I can confirm that the TranzX M16 motor provides good assistance from a standstill up to the limit of 15mph, and so I believe at least on a par with the competitors. And it’s very quiet, almost silent, something that I understand is not the case with Bosch motors, which I have also observed seem to have a much smaller drive Chain wheel, which must make the motor spin faster (presumably making a higher pitched noise) in effectively a lower gear. In fact, the noisiest thing about the Raleigh Strada is the stand, which unfortunately is not well riveted and rattles; I could take it off but its too useful.
I'm a big fan of the M16 (I have one too on an Ebco e-bike). Yes, it's much quieter than many of the Bosch's I've ridden, equal in power (55-62Nm), and still being made (which those of Bosch et al circa 2014 vintage aren't) That says a lot in my book.

Reactions: Smartieperson

Smartieperson

Aug 20, 2020
I'm a big fan of the M16 (I have one too on an Ebco e-bike). Yes, it's much quieter than many of the Bosch's I've ridden, equal in power (55-62Nm), and still being made (which those of Bosch et al circa 2014 vintage aren't) That says a lot in my book.
Just to clarify, when I said the model has been discontinued, I meant the Raleigh Strada TSE bike, not the motor. Raleigh seem to be using other makes in their newer eBikes now, such as those from Shimano. But it‘s good to know the TranzX motor is still available.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes, quite so. In fact, every e-bike manufacturer I've ever found that did use the TranzX M16 system (eg.: Ebco, iZip, Raleigh, Winora, Hecules, Victoria - all strong brands in their own respective countries) have since chickened out and changed to Bosch or Shimano. It takes a brave person to try and market the "not German" under-dog, even though many early Bosch (and some other branded) motors were dogs, and long since reinvented. Whereas the M16 survives in its original form.

You only need to scour this forum to realise that the many want to see "Cube" on the frame and "Bosch" on the motor, rather than evaluate what it is they're really getting for their money. I've seen brand-new M16 replacements for as little as £250 if the worst were to happen. Strangely though, and unlike the so-called "premium motors", there are no stories of European M16's catastrophically failing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's the same story with bike components.
You see zillions of £30 Suntour NEX forks on e-bikes - how many have failed?

Smartieperson

Aug 20, 2020
Yes, quite so. In fact, every e-bike manufacturer I've ever found that did use the TranzX M16 system (eg.: Ebco, iZip, Raleigh, Winora, Hecules, Victoria - all strong brands in their own respective countries) have since chickened out and changed to Bosch or Shimano. It takes a brave person to try and market the "not German" under-dog, even though many early Bosch (and some other branded) motors were dogs, and long since reinvented. Whereas the M16 survives in its original form.

You only need to scour this forum to realise that the many want to see "Cube" on the frame and "Bosch" on the motor, rather than evaluate what it is they're really getting for their money. I've seen brand-new M16 replacements for as little as £250 if the worst were to happen. Strangely though, and unlike the so-called "premium motors", there are no stories of European M16's catastrophically failing.
I think you’re hit the “nail on the head” there, the problem is not the quality of the motor, which is excellent both in terms of its usability and reliability, but the lack of marketing which means that the ‘public demand’ is driven towards the more familiar makes.
I wasn’t sure about TranzX when I bought the Raleigh Strada TSE because I couldn't find much about them online, but the specification of the bike overall was ideal for my needs so I went for it - and I haven’t been disappointed!

Smartieperson

Aug 20, 2020
Just thought I‘d add another update to this very old thread, that I still have the Raleigh Strada TSE, with the original TranzX M16 motor, which has performed faultlessly, having now clocked up more than 7000 miles over 5 years! Beat that Bosch / Shimano etc! By the way, I solved my one gripe about the noisy stand, by finding a replacement which has now made the bike very much quieter.

I must admit I am now going to experiment with the newer Boardman 8.9E with its removable Fazua motor, as a lighter weight more road oriented cycle, but I will probably retain the Raleigh for more off road rides, especially since I expect the resale value is now not great. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that the Raleigh Strada TSE has been a dependable, reliable eBike which has performed excellently. A great and worthwhile purchase!

Attachments

Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Just thought I‘d add another update to this very old thread, that I still have the Raleigh Strada TSE, with the original TranzX M16 motor, which has performed faultlessly, having now clocked up more than 7000 miles over 5 years!
I always thought that Green looked a bit too urgent, but if that's a recent pic your Strada it's still looking good after 7000 miles! And the M16 motor still appears on TranzX's website; 8 years in production must be some kind of mid-drive record. My own M16 still rides great/faultlessly too, although it hasn't done your kind of mileage.

How is your battery after 5 years / 7000miles?