Is there a list of (e)Bike Shows for 2014?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Dave,

I was grateful for the efforts put in by you at Redbridge. I also offered to chip in with the cost and spent several hours the week before contacting our customers plus calling places like hospitals, secondary schools and borough councils in nearby areas eg Wanstead, Brentwood and Romford. it just isn't enough. To raise awareness among potential customers who are not yet e bike owners or forum members needs a huge publicity push from either the radio, TV, national press or all three. The budget would run into thousands, even with astute PR use.
My nearest circuit is of course Redbridge, but you are already dealing with it. If you'd like me to take over, II can look at that and of course you and all other e bike companies would be welcome. You could perhaps then deal with a west London venue? Even so, numbers will be small for all of us unless the publicity suggested above could be used.

Hatti

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave,

I was grateful for the efforts put in by you at Redbridge. I also offered to chip in with the cost and spent several hours the week before contacting our customers plus calling places like hospitals, secondary schools and borough councils in nearby areas eg Wanstead, Brentwood and Romford. it just isn't enough. To raise awareness among potential customers who are not yet e bike owners or forum members needs a huge publicity push from either the radio, TV, national press or all three. The budget would run into thousands, even with astute PR use.
My nearest circuit is of course Redbridge, but you are already dealing with it. If you'd like me to take over, II can look at that and of course you and all other e bike companies would be welcome. You could perhaps then deal with a west London venue? Even so, numbers will be small for all of us unless the publicity suggested above could be used.

Hatti
Hattie,that comment wasn't really aimed at you nor the other smaller companies at Redbridge,but some of the bigger guys could do much more.
I have to admit that despite a big push by ourselves it was dissappointing that we failed to attract customers from east and North London,most of the attendance was from Pedelecs members.
The LondonElectricBikeCompany has changed our involvement with Redbridge because we want to promote only those brands that we are in a position to stock and sell at that shop.
But I would be pleased to help you if you wished to run your own Redbridge event,perhaps during the summer-strawberries and cream!
Hope you are enjoying your holiday.
KudosDave

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
if you're close to Manchester, you're close to our offices in Delph - Lancashire. you, and indeed anyone, is always welcome to come here and try an eBike on the local hills. But please contact us well in advance, because we try not to keep them here... its always better for our demo bikes to be out being demo'd.
Thanks, but at the moment I have to rely on public transport if I am travelling any distance. Delph is not the easiest of places for me to get to, as it must be at least 40 miles from my home...........so until I get driving again a visit to Delph is out of the question.

Thanks, but at the moment I have to rely on public transport if I am travelling any distance. Delph is not the easiest of places for me to get to, as it must be at least 40 miles from my home...........so until I get driving again a visit to Delph is out of the question.
we're on the main trainline between Manchester and Leeds, the nearest station is less than 5 minutes away by bike.

Reactions: anniegirl

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Just to let you know - the Bristol Event is on 22nd June this year.

We are busy putting together all the planning for it at the moment - bigger event than last year by the looks of it
Alistair, is there any chance some of us could test-ride bikes up Park Street, before or after the races? Or maybe have a few riders do the job for us, with cycle anylists (or speedicts, at a push, although they seem less reliable) providing data that would be made available to any one interested?
It'd be the perfect place to get some genuinely comparative figures for hill climbing abilities.

Nothing was happening on the hill during the morning last year.

D

Deleted member 4366

Before the racing started, it was being used. There were kids chalking over the road last year, which i'm sure is why I crashed. The year before that, they left a strip on the side open so that we could test ride up and down the hill. It would be nice if we could have it like that again.

Reactions: jackhandy
We've had lots of debates about the purpose and benefits of these shows in our office and with KTM in Austria.

At the NEC, for instance, I'm of the opinion the eBikes are a fairground ride for people to have a play on. The chance of a genuine customer actually being able to have a meaningful ride on a selection of eBikes of their choosing, on a circuit that is actually going to highlight anything useful is hard.

So we haven't in the past supported it with demo bikes, our opinion is that we'd much rather people went to their local eBike store, spoke with an expert and trialed bikes that are likely to suit their needs in a more relaxed and meaningful environment.

Smaller shows like Redbridge / Bristol seem to be of more use to everyone. I've been to Bristol, but not any others. However from people I've spoken to who have attended more, they suggest that it seens to be the same people - generally existing eBike riders who are having a social and riding bikes... or is this a harsh assessment?

The best strategy for increasing eBike awareness and sales for the dealers seems to be, dealers actually taking a selection of bikes to big local employers for their staff to trial as part of the Cycle to Work scheme and other initiatives that are aimed at getting more people riding. We've supported this with a few dealers and it always seems to generate loads of interest and more importantly for the stores - sales!

regards
Col

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
, they suggest that it seens to be the same people - generally existing eBike riders who are having a social and riding bikes... or is this a harsh assessment?
The only 2 shows I have experience of are the Eden Project ebike show last April, which ran 5 days, at which I & a few of the more enthusiastic exhibitors grabbed punters & practically shoved them on the bikes. Prospective riders were quite reticent & this was the only way we could keep the track populated & succeeded, as evidenced by the Big Grins on faces as they swooped round the final turn: Our best advert was the Eden staffers shrieking as the power kicked in; time after time. I think people wanted to give it a try but needed a gobby oik like me to give them a nudge.

At Bristol, the same kind of reticence was apparent, compounded by the restricted access attempting to prevent bikes being nicked, resulting in bikes standing idle; so those of us out for a jolly served the purpose of getting the bikes moving around the track, thereby generating interest...

And some of us became unpaid staffers by talking-up the bikes to anyone showing a glimmer of interest.

Not to mention making fools of ourselves in the races.

Maybe best not to underestimate the contribution of a few enthusiasts out for a jolly.

Or have I got it wrong again?.. What do the trade members who were there think?

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We've had lots of debates about the purpose and benefits of these shows in our office and with KTM in Austria.

At the NEC, for instance, I'm of the opinion the eBikes are a fairground ride for people to have a play on. The chance of a genuine customer actually being able to have a meaningful ride on a selection of eBikes of their choosing, on a circuit that is actually going to highlight anything useful is hard.

So we haven't in the past supported it with demo bikes, our opinion is that we'd much rather people went to their local eBike store, spoke with an expert and trialed bikes that are likely to suit their needs in a more relaxed and meaningful environment.

Smaller shows like Redbridge / Bristol seem to be of more use to everyone. I've been to Bristol, but not any others. However from people I've spoken to who have attended more, they suggest that it seens to be the same people - generally existing eBike riders who are having a social and riding bikes... or is this a harsh assessment?

The best strategy for increasing eBike awareness and sales for the dealers seems to be, dealers actually taking a selection of bikes to big local employers for their staff to trial as part of the Cycle to Work scheme and other initiatives that are aimed at getting more people riding. We've supported this with a few dealers and it always seems to generate loads of interest and more importantly for the stores - sales!

regards
Col
Colin,I couldn't agree more...for some reason the teenage joy ride element was very apparent at the last NEC cycle show. There seems to be an attitude that you can thrash these bikes,even crash them,but without a thought because they are owned by some big corporation and are disposable items.
At the upcoming LondonCycleShow we intend to introduce a voucher system and will make decisions as to whether the potential tester is a serious e-bike customer and/or likely to ride the bikes sensibly.
We did not have the same problem at Redbridge or our other road shows because anyone who made the effort to attend was a serious customer who understood how to ride a bike sensibly.
I am not convinced that cycle shows do much to promote the e-bike concept ,I think our efforts are better served at shows where there is a profile of potential customer who has not yet appreciated the e-bike concept,there is no substitute for a good local dealer looking after his customers and having demo days like the Manifold Trail day.
KudosDave
www.kudoscycles.com

Maybe best not to underestimate the contribution of a few enthusiasts out for a jolly.

Or have I got it wrong again?.. What do the trade members who were there think?
sorry if my comment sounded harsh, I wasn't at any of the events you've mentioned, so I was just reporting 2nd hand feedback. I'm not suggesting anyone's contribution wasn't valuable.

My question is more, "was event "x" worthwhile?" Did it actually more people's perception of eBikes forwards?

We're just hoping to open up a bit of a debate about how best to promote eBikes to people.

Cheers
Col.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am sure a lot of people don't know of power assisted bikes. I know I didn't until I saw the Gadget Show with the Cytronex front motor on a Cannondale bike.

That, I thought, is what I want. I like to bike but the hills were getting to me; one of those would get me over the bad bits.

They were a bit more than I wanted to pay, so I searched the 'net and discovered a whole host of machines, not that it helped. I got more confused, but I am nothing if not persistent. It took over two years of reading and testing but I got there in the end, apart from the problem with one machine, but even that added to my learning. The way a good dealer & importer will aid you through any problems and provide a satisfactory result. I am very happy with my choice, had many a change of mind on my journey but well worth it.

Getting the message out is important, you may not make a sale early on, but the seed is planted.

Last edited:
Reactions: martin@onbike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
My question is more, "was event "x" worthwhile?" Did it actually more people's perception of eBikes forwards?

We're just hoping to open up a bit of a debate about how best to promote eBikes to people.

Cheers
Col.
the 'low hanging fruits' are people who could participate in cycle to work schemes, people who are advised by their doctors that e-bikes may help them to get fitter (after an operation for example) and people who want to save money on bus/train fares.
The last group of future e-bikers is the biggest, potentially hundreds of thousands a year, but of little interest to many suppliers except Tesco.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have exhibited and attended y many shows over the last 2 years and have some ideas of how to introduce E-bikes to as many people as possible economically.
I suspect that only 1 in 1000 are currently serious e-bike purchasers,but there are many more who could usefully use an electric bike.
Currently we need to sell bikes to those who already know they want one,for if we don't sell bikes we go out of business,our road shows do a good job in the short term and individually we all rightfully compete for that business.
However,we should all also look to the long term and try to introduce our industry to the wider populace. This is expensive,with no immediate return,so few of us are exploring the bigger market.
Kudos,Wisper,Batribike plus others have tried to push the concept at green fairs,gadget shows,the Eden Project etc,all valid but still very small footfall. What we need is a politician or celebrity to ride an e-bike....look at the publicity Prince Charles created when he rode a Spencer Ivy bike.
I would like to exhibit at 50 plus shows,the Ideal home exhibition etc but these shows are very expensive,we need to share stands with just maybe 1 bike from each supplier and sell the concept rather than the individual bike,working together.
Colin,could you get KTM,Raleigh,Kalkhoff,Kudos,Ebco,A2B,Wisperetc together to have a combined approach to the UK market,interesting challenge !.
KudosDave
www.Kudoscycles.com

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to get one onto one of the soaps. I can remember round about 1992, a guy on Coronation Street had a Velocette LED Noddy bike. Before that, you couldn't give them away, but then the price went through the roof.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Atmosphere

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Bristol
www.electricbikes.org.uk
A bit more news about the Bristol event this year.

We are combining the day with
Bristol Big Bike Ride to make a full BIG BIKE DAY and many other bike related events - so lots going on for all the family and also some decent rides out around the area in the morning followed by the E bike stuff in the afternoon.

Last year we had over 1000 test rides so plenty of people getting the idea about what an E bike actually is all about

Will have more details over the next few weeks and will stick it all up for you to see and join in

Hope to see as many as possible this year

Alistair