Is this a technical breach of the law? Uncertain

Sep 13, 2020
A few weeks ago I pulled up at a pedestrian crossing which was just going to red. The only person using it was a guy with a bike who cycled over to my side and then just cycled off down the road. He was ahead of the lights, but he wasn't a pedestrian going to the pavement on the other side.

I wasn't that bothered about it, but thought it was a bit of a cheek to be honest. A car behind me hooted several times, presumably in annoyance.

I'm honestly unsure and can't find anything definitive on search.

Illegal or not?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do that all the time. Saves my time, wastes drivers'. Perfect. ;)

Last edited:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
A few weeks ago I pulled up at a pedestrian crossing which was just going to red. The only person using it was a guy with a bike who cycled over to my side and then just cycled off down the road. He was ahead of the lights, but he wasn't a pedestrian going to the pavement on the other side.

I wasn't that bothered about it, but thought it was a bit of a cheek to be honest. A car behind me hooted several times, presumably in annoyance.

Illegal or not?
Its often the only way to cross a main road when a cycle lane is on one side only & you need to get to the other side

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a pedestrian crossing. Think the clue might be in the title.
In that circumstance I would walk my bike over then cycle off beyond the crossing. To do otherwise would cause avoidable agravation, and there's enough of that in the world, why be the source of more for the sake of a couple of seconds?
It's revenge of sorts: I used to walk my bike all the way over to the other pavement, then get back on my bike, wait for an opening to jump off the kerb and rejoin traffic, which all took about a minute, sometimes longer depending... but after regularly being shown such little consideration by drivers, I no longer care not. I also enjoy waiting specifically to stop traffic using those crossings nowadays, even when disguised as a pedestrian. It's immensely gratifying; revenge served lukewarm.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: AndyBike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Illegal or not?
It is definitively illegal since there has been a pedestrian crossing test case:

"a rider either seated on a bike or with a foot on a pedal as in scooting is not a pedestrian, as ruled by Waller L J in the Court of Appeal, (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441)."

Justice Waller also clarified the status of a bicycle being pushed by a pedestrian on a crossing or pavement, ruling that it is luggage, therefore no different from any wheeled luggage.

This also applies to a pedelec being pushed or motor assisted by its walk throttle, but again only when the pedestrian is walking as ruled.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I use a crossing on a T junction going to the supermarket. It has a pedestrian and bike symbol, so instead of crossing pavement to pavement i cross, then join the road and turn left into the road that leads to the shop. Im effectively crossing the lights at a right angle, but im also following the rule that the crossing allows for bikes.
This is instead of pavement to pavement, turning and cycling on the pavement to get round the corner before rejoining the road.
It harms nobody. And if someone sitting in a car at the light has a problem, then perhaps they should put down that mobile, stop speeding and mind their own fecking business.

Sep 13, 2020
It is definitively illegal since there has been a pedestrian crossing test case:

"a rider either seated on a bike or with a foot on a pedal as in scooting is not a pedestrian, as ruled by Waller L J in the Court of Appeal, (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441)."

Justice Waller also clarified the status of a bicycle being pushed by a pedestrian on a crossing or pavement, ruling that it is luggage, therefore no different from any wheeled luggage.

This also applies to a pedelec being pushed or motor assisted by its walk throttle, but again only when the pedestrian is walking as ruled.
Thanks for the definitive and knowledgeable reply.

Reactions: danfoto and flecc
Sep 13, 2020
I use a crossing on a T junction going to the supermarket. It has a pedestrian and bike symbol, so instead of crossing pavement to pavement i cross, then join the road and turn left into the road that leads to the shop. Im effectively crossing the lights at a right angle, but im also following the rule that the crossing allows for bikes.
This is instead of pavement to pavement, turning and cycling on the pavement to get round the corner before rejoining the road.
It harms nobody. And if someone sitting in a car at the light has a problem, then perhaps they should put down that mobile, stop speeding and mind their own fecking business.
To be honest I'm not that bothered eitherway, but I was curious as to the letter of the law. At the time it wasn't at all obvious what it was.

I have used a crossing (with an island in the middle) to get across and join a cycle path on the other side. I've cycled along the road to the island in the middle, walked the other bit to the cycle path, then re-mounted.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Luggage and carriage are my two favourite esoteric bike related words.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I think the only people vocal on this are DM readers.
I think the vast majority of drivers upon seeing a bike breaking the rules of the road either make a tsk tsk noise, or simply cant be bothered to have a thought about it one way or the other.

When Im sitting at the lights ont he bike and some other cyclist comes up and goes through the red light, i kind of feel the same, kind of look down on them, shake the head then forget about it 5 seconds later.

Reactions: danfoto and flecc

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby

Illegal or not?
Surely just a case of being sensible , if nobody else is inconvenienced then why not ? But if you’re a hazard to pedestrians then demount and walk .

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My council have put in a shared path pedestrian/bikes alongside a busy road leading up to a set of traffic lights that also includes a pedestrian crossing. It keeps me off the busy road and using my bell works well.

The thing is there is a small access road that I have to cross just before the lights and the small section beyond this access road up to the traffic lights (15 yards or so) and the pavement beyond to the corner where I am turning left have a no cycling sign.

The issue is that after you leave the lovely shared path there is generally standing traffic before the lights and no where to safely get back onto the road.

I just carry on and cycle the no cycling section to the corner where I am very careful in case pedestrians are around the corner where I cannot see them and rejoin the road there popping of the pavement back onto the road as I turn left.

This is much safer for me, as I am rejoining the road with much less conflict potential with vehicles, and often if the lights are red allows me to get quite some way up the road I have rejoined at the corner before cars come up behind me.

The shared path is great, but has cost the council very little, and they have not thought about or more probably not wanted to pay for how to safely get a bike back into the traffic when the path runs out.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I just carry on and cycle the no cycling section to the corner where I am very careful in case pedestrians are around the corner where I cannot see them and rejoin the road there popping of the pavement back onto the road as I turn left.
I sound the Hornit 140db at times like that, in case pedestrians lurch beyond my view. I'm amazed how long the original batteries have lasted - I've had it over a year, use it rather a lot, and they're just two AAAs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is no issue cycling on pavements as indicated by Paul Boeteng in 1999.

That guidance from Mr Boateng, issued in 1999, said: “The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Aren't pedestrian crossings temporary pavements, which responsible cyclists can use out of fear of traffic?" Is what I will ask the jury. Adding "While the lights are red, they are not roads. Well, not those bits."

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Aren't pedestrian crossings temporary pavements, which responsible cyclists can use out of fear of traffic?" Is what I will ask the jury. Adding "While the lights are red, they are not roads. Well, not those bits."
But there you collide with a legal conflict due to this pedestrian crossing test case outcome:

Therefore cycling on a pedestrian crossing other than a shared use Toucan crossing is illegal. Justice Waller's ruling did however clarify how to cross, since he also ruled that when walking pushing a bicycle, the bicycle becomes luggage, no different from any wheeled luggage.

So cycling carefully on the pavement out of genuine fear of traffic is fine, but dismount if using a pedestrian crossing to comply with the legal situation.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Had run in last night crossing at a pedestrian/bike crossing with some opinionated daily mail gammon.

Its a cycle path, leading to a pedestrian crossing, going onto another cycle path.
I call it a pedestrian crossing, but the lights show both a pedestrian and also a cycle. I know that this is for both users. But middle aged gammon shouts out his window im breaking the law.
OK, after reading the above post maybe just maybe you should dismount. But who does, and it is in fact harming nobody.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Had run in last night crossing at a pedestrian/bike crossing with some opinionated daily mail gammon.

Its a cycle path, leading to a pedestrian crossing, going onto another cycle path.
I call it a pedestrian crossing, but the lights show both a pedestrian and also a cycle. I know that this is for both users. But middle aged gammon shouts out his window im breaking the law.
OK, after reading the above post maybe just maybe you should dismount. But who does, and it is in fact harming nobody.
If the lights show both a pedestrian & a cycle then it's a Toucan crossing & you are permitted to cycle across. Apparantlyince “two can” cross together (both pedestrians and cyclists) the name “toucan” was chosen.