Is this a technical breach of the law? Uncertain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Had run in last night crossing at a pedestrian/bike crossing with some opinionated daily mail gammon.

Its a cycle path, leading to a pedestrian crossing, going onto another cycle path.
I call it a pedestrian crossing, but the lights show both a pedestrian and also a cycle. I know that this is for both users. But middle aged gammon shouts out his window im breaking the law.
OK, after reading the above post maybe just maybe you should dismount. But who does, and it is in fact harming nobody.
That is legally a Toucan crossing, where cycling across is entirely legal. They are unaffected by either the ministerial order on pavement cycling or Justice Waller's ruling.

Link: Highway Code Rule 25

Edit: Post crossed with Nigelbb's.

Sep 13, 2020
If the lights show both a pedestrian & a cycle then it's a Toucan crossing & you are permitted to cycle across. Apparantlyince “two can” cross together (both pedestrians and cyclists) the name “toucan” was chosen.
Thanks, that's interesting. I noted - today actually - that at the island part of the crossing I use to join a cycle path, there was a red bike symbol and red man shown, with the man shown dismounted from the bike. I took that as obviously meaning that I was doing the right thing by indeed dismounting and walking across. Even though there were absolutely no other pedestrians around.

I might nip out later and look at the traffic lights where the guy cycled across and off down the road from. I'll report back.

Sep 13, 2020
Had run in last night crossing at a pedestrian/bike crossing with some opinionated daily mail gammon.

Its a cycle path, leading to a pedestrian crossing, going onto another cycle path.
I call it a pedestrian crossing, but the lights show both a pedestrian and also a cycle. I know that this is for both users. But middle aged gammon shouts out his window im breaking the law.
OK, after reading the above post maybe just maybe you should dismount. But who does, and it is in fact harming nobody.
If it had been a cop, you could have been done and got a fine . So maybe you should be grateful to the guy for alerting you. Had I been you, the first thing I would have done when arriving home, would be to check the actual law. Although I couldn't find too much first time, hence the thread.

Incidentally, for all you know he might be a leftie Guardian reader ;)

I agree it's harmless, although if a few pedestrians are also using the crossing at the same time, issues could arise.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
As has already been posted by Flecc, if the display shows a pedestrian and a cycle then it is a Toucan crossing connecting shared use footway/cycleways and cyclists can legally cycle across them.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I agree it's harmless, although if a few pedestrians are also using the crossing at the same time, issues could arise.
I ride with respect for others.

I kind of knew this, as in the city center where there are lots of this crossing and a lot of cycle commuters crossing on the bike at the same time, along with the green bike symbol that it was ok to do so. Without actually checking. Some things are actually based in common sense.

As to riding on the pavement, i do that mostly. Though also on the road for long straight sections. I do go on the pavement for multi lane junctions and some roundabouts, but i cycle safely, and hardly go about 6 or 7 mph when people are around and maybe 9 or 10 when there aren't.

I have many times passed beat policemen walking on the same pavement, and even once cycled between the middle of two of them, so from that and never being stopped or queried as to why i was cycling on the pavement, along with the law of riding safely with respect and due care and attention i show, i know that how i ride is safe and legal
I have been doing this for close to 30 years.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
That is legally a Toucan crossing, where cycling across is entirely legal. They are unaffected by either the ministerial order on pavement cycling or Justice Waller's ruling.

Link: Highway Code Rule 25

Edit: Post crossed with Nigelbb's.
There are two Pegasus Crossings near me, where the Pennine Bridleway crosses a main road. Being a bridleway bikes are allowed. I hope!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are two Pegasus Crossings near me, where the Pennine Bridleway crosses a main road. Being a bridleway bikes are allowed. I hope!
Yes, as a bridleway cycling through is allowed by the Countryside Act 1968. It unusually only covered two wheeled bicycles, whereas most UK Bicycle law refers to Bicycles, Tricycles and Bicycles with four or more wheels. However, the government backed SUSTRANS organisation has since gained permission for pedelec Tricycles to use bridlepaths too. Still no permission for Quad pedelecs though.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh