Is this ebike UK legal

Dave9

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2015
I would just like to say thanks very much for all your kind replies and advice, i appreciate them and they have given me much food for thought and I’ve learned lots too.
kind regards, Dave

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Hi
i have just bought a used 9 year old hybrid ebike
The seller, who is a nice guy, said it was an ebike when it was new, but he has recently upgraded the electrics with new parts, new motor, controller , battery etc to these current specs
750 watt rear hub motor, but which he has restricted in the controller, down to 250 watts
48volts and 28mha
it has both throttle and pedal assist, but I am going to have the throttle disconnected in the controller and just use pedal assist

Maybe I should have asked this question before I bought it, is this legal to ride in the UK
thanks
Dave

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When I initially went to see the bike, the seller explained that he could either leave it at 750w or restrict the motor down to 250w to make it road legal and that is what I wanted so I’ve only ever ridden it with motor at 250w, I am going to disconnect the throttle anyway so it will just be pedal assistance at 250w.
The basic handlebar battery level component I assume, may probably mean that the pedal assist will be at full power, but I wondered like what you mentioned that by restricting the motor, may reduce the pedal assist power. Wow these ebike electronics are certainly a steep learning curve
I don't think it'll work like that. The throttle takes precedence over the PAS, so you can use it to regulate the speed. Without it, you'll get full power all the time up to whatever max speed is allowed.

If it were my bike, I'd set it to normal power (actually 1000w, not 750w) because it's equally illegal regardless. The only question is whether it's limited to 15.5 mph. If it is, then that would be the best way to leave it because it gives you a chance to argue your case. It's very difficult to prove anything about power, but speed is easy to check.

Reactions: Dave9

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That is a bit naughty gsm.terra and a good idea although the hub motor in my rear wheel is quite a large size, which gives the game away somewhat
There are some big 250w motors. If you stick to your guns and say it's 250w, it's quite difficult to prove otherwise unless it's written on the motor.

Reactions: gsm.terra and Dave9

Dave9

Aug 31, 2015
There are some big 250w motors. If you stick to your guns and say it's 250w, it's quite difficult to prove otherwise unless it's written on the motor.
Thanks again vfr400, I've got plenty of thinking to do, but meanwhile I hope I can remain, an incognito cyclist lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks again vfr400, I've got plenty of thinking to do, but meanwhile I hope I can remain, an incognito cyclist lol

been 5 years now every day is a good day to die ;)

Dave9

Aug 31, 2015
Hi, just thought I would give an update regarding the ebike that I bought.

The seller has kindly given me my money back and taken the bike back.
There were a number of issues, which to be honest, could have been repaired, but it was the overpowered motor that concerned me more than anything with the strong possibility of it being illegal.
Thanks for all your advice.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, just thought I would give an update regarding the ebike that I bought.

The seller has kindly given me my money back and taken the bike back.
There were a number of issues, which to be honest, could have been repaired, but it was the overpowered motor that concerned me more than anything with the strong possibility of it being illegal.
Thanks for all your advice.
Well done, and thanks for telling us all.

Andy

Reactions: Dave9