Is this your stolen Oxygen?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Does smell a bit like a stolen bike. Seller is new too. A lot of risk is taken by being ebay seller as it needs bank card and address.

It's when you start to ask for the serial number that the seller disappear.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Question posted to seller on ebay:

"Where did you get the bike from, I presume it comes with the original bill of sale? And what happened to the battery and charger?"

C

Cyclezee

I sent the seller the following questions.

"I am interested in the history of this bike and wonder if you could
tell me more about it?

Why is it being sold without the battery and
charger, how long have you owned it and do you have proof of
ownership?

Thanks"

The responses will be interesting.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My guess is that he's just going to ignore you. Or insult you.

You can't accuse anyone without proof. He knows that.

I can't count the number of scam I've seen online with guys lying until they found out they're spotted. Then they'll ignore you.

Not a good way to catch the guy

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
I'm too far away to catch him but at least it might make him think who's going to turn up to look at it. If it's legit he of course will not be worried.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Check out the other items this person is selling too, they all look suspicious.
Quite a few bikes, including one that is "working but has a fault intermitent and havnt got the charger i dont know alot about it im selling for a mate .hence sold as spares or repairs".

Yeah, right.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I find it difficult to believe someone would be stupid enough to advertise a stolen bike on ebay with picture. The fact that there is no battery is more likely to mask electrical defects, IMHO.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
I find it difficult to believe someone would be stupid enough to advertise a stolen bike on ebay with picture. The fact that there is no battery is more likely to mask electrical defects imho
No batteries AND no chargers? Well, if he is genuine he will not have a problem answering the questions asked. I won't hold my breath.

ETA: Some info and advice on tracking down stolen bikes here:
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=104707

Last edited:
Reactions: john h and Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

My guess is that he's just going to ignore you. Or insult you.

You can't accuse anyone without proof. He knows that.

I can't count the number of scam I've seen online with guys lying until they found out they're spotted. Then they'll ignore you.

Not a good way to catch the guy
I'm not accusing anyone of anything cwah, merely raising awareness of what could be stolen goods offered for sale which may or may not belong to a member of the forum, innocent until until proven guilty and all that.

If it is a genuine seller selling legitimate goods then there is no reason for them not to answer the questions as the right answers could lead to a sale.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure you all know that many of the items on ebay have been bought to resell to try to gain a bit of profit. So it could well have been stolen, but not necessarily by the present advertiser who could have bought it from Gumtree or another source.

Being an ebay newbie, it could just be inexperienced trading, the replies if any will show.