I've just encountered an Alien!

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Evening, battery boys and gals!

Have just been looking at Alien bikes and have taken a fancy to their Cruiser. Nice twist-style framework with an American-retro look, a Suzhou Bafan 250watt motor, a 36v Lion neatly placed on the carrier, and not a bad price either. It looks fun! Any recommendations from owners out there, please?

:) Johnny

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
any links please Johnny and idea of price would be appreciated.....Ignore that just found link on review page

They look OK and price is good, why haven't more on here have them I wonder as its the first I've heard of them. the only thing against them seems to be the weight......

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
They are on ebay for around £550 eddieo.
Thanks! but to heavy for my motorhome (I need 2 bikes) I am struggling with payload as it is. will be easier when children stop coming in a few years as it will be 2 of everything and not 4:(

A shame as the retro cruiser looks well built and I doubt if any south London hoodie would be seen dead on one:rolleyes:

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Yes, I've always loved those American-style bikes, Eddie. Kool! Hot! I think old Broadbeans might pull on one of those! LOL. The website is - AlienOcean Home and I'm pretty sure its the proprietor who sells 'em on eBay. Worth reading his home page on the website - I gather he puts the bikes together himself. The price is £549 + £20 carriage to most mainland destinations. He also does a natty little folding electric bike, which might fit the bill for your camper.

I keep reading this Pedelecs forum, settling on a bike, then find another one I like! I also like the Ezee Torq, and the Powacycle Milan 2 (£399) which I've had a spin on. Blimey...I like 'em all. Maybe I'll end up on a Kalkhoff! The only thing is....I want to be a throttle-jockey!

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I've got the alien 36V kit on a Marin bike, essentially the same thing as the alien cruiser except the bike is (hopefully) a bit better. Its excellent and I would highly recommend. With bikes the thing you seem to pay most for is lower weight. Often cheaper bikes with heavier frames and equipment are more durable than lighter bikes that cost a lot more. The cruiser is 25 kg. To put that in perspective the #1200 Wisper 905se City with a similar motor setup is about 24 kg. My bike is about 19KG but most people weigh about 100kg so a few kg isn't really that big a deal especially in motion and with a motor. Having said that I do like light bikes.

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation, Maestro! Good to hear it's a success for you. I'm not too worried about the weight aspect, as I'm already half way between Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel. So if I lose a stone or so, the overall effect should be the same as if I were riding your Marin! LOL. I imagine that it's the combined weight of rider + bike that the motor considers when it's wondering whether it's in for a good or hard-going day! I can understand the aesthetic appeal a light bike has, though.

I've never fancied a recumbent proper very much, but have come across the Rans crankforward bikes, which look very interesting. They're said to give you extra purchase or whatever. Wonder if any Pedeleckers have tried one?

Got a good, true story for you, Maestro. Apparently, fiddler Nigel Kennedy took a conductor out for a meal, and the conductor was very impressed by the way Nigel respectfully called him 'Maestro' all the time. Until they got to the restaurant, that is, when he discovered Nigel addressed the waiter and everyone else as 'Maestro' too!

Last edited:

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
I've had an Alien Cruiser for a couple of months and will be doing a full review after a few hundred miles. However, initial impressions are that it's a pretty competent beast. Derestricted it zips along on the throttle at about 18mph on the flat (for some reason the pedelec maxes out at 14mph or thereabouts). With moderate rider effort the bike will climb steep hills quite well (and I live in mountainous Sheffield). The style of the bike is certainly eye-catching and it has a few nice features: the battery locks neatly into the pannier rack and is invisible with panniers on; the indicators are surprisingly useful, for example they enable you to throttle and signal right at the same time.

There have been a few niggles, though. The aluminium frame and fork mean the ride is a little harsh (a suspension seatpost has helped). I had an electrical problem due to the original design of the controller box -- not a problem now as the design has been revised to house the controller/electrics in a triangular bag attached to the frame. The original gear twist shifter was hopeless; I replaced it with a Shimano-compatible SRAM twist shifter for about £9 from Wiggle and it's been great since (another forum member had to do exactly the same thing, so it's not just my experience). The wheels as supplied were so untrue it just wasn't funny. The bike is in my local shop at the moment who are trying to sort that out for me, made more difficult by the fact that there is no easy way to get the front wheel off.

So in summary, generally good but not without its problems, as you might expect for the low price. The important parts, i.e. the battery/controller/motor, seem good quality; some of the other components slightly less so, but these are easily upgradeable. I have found Bob from Alien to be good at responding to queries and problems, although he does only deal via email.

I'm happy to respond to PMs if anyone has any questions.

Greg

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Greg - many thanxx for your comments! Glad to hear you're having fun astride the beastie! I reckon I could deal okay with those niggles you mention. I fancied buying the Alien 36v kit for my mountain-bike, but the idea of getting the complete bike, in a style I like, ready built fo the extra £130 seems worth it. Maybe we could start a Kruiser Klub and ride into town, causing mayhem. The Mild Bunch! :) Johnny

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
there is no easy way to get the front wheel off.
Is it not just held on by a nut either side of the forks? If it really is very difficult to remove it would be a real pain if you got a puncture and needed to change the inner tube or tyre.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Is it not just held on by a nut either side of the forks? If it really is very difficult to remove it would be a real pain if you got a puncture and needed to change the inner tube or tyre.
No, the wheel comes off in the traditional fashion :) but the front hub motor is hard-wired and can't easily be disconnected. Changing an inner tube or tyre would be ok but I'm led to believe truing is difficult unless the wheel can be entirely removed (presumably depending on the amount of slack in the cable). The bike shop are going to cut the wire (eek) and make a permanent plug/socket type arrangement for ease of removal in the future. Not a job I really fancied because there are three wires to the motor plus another five (I think) to handle the controller feedback. Crossing fingers it all works . . .

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I've never fancied a recumbent proper very much, but have come across the Rans crankforward bikes, which look very interesting. They're said to give you extra purchase or whatever. Wonder if any Pedeleckers have tried one?

Got a good, true story for you, Maestro. Apparently, fiddler Nigel Kennedy took a conductor out for a meal, and the conductor was very impressed by the way Nigel respectfully called him 'Maestro' all the time. Until they got to the restaurant, that is, when he discovered Nigel addressed the waiter and everyone else as 'Maestro' too!
Is it just me or are a lot of recumbant riders a little ahem 'weird'? Probably very judgemental as I've only met a couple! I was at work the other day and I was approached by a gentleman who seeing my bike said 'I ride the purple trike, hows the front hub brake working out?'. I'd never seen his trike but he was convinced that everyone must have seen him on it and that I'd be fascinated by it, so after I explained that it was in fact a motor I got subjected to about 20 minute of boring recumbant facts and couln't get away or get a word in edgeways! He also had on some sort of anorak just to make the stereotype complete.

I like Nigel Kennedy, I thought he called everything 'monster' though or something? Hes probably just very bad with names so calls everyone Maestro rather than 'bub' or 'mate'. I'd be pretty chuffed if someone called me 'Maestro' irl.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
No, the wheel comes off in the traditional fashion :) but the front hub motor is hard-wired and can't easily be disconnected. Changing an inner tube or tyre would be ok but I'm led to believe truing is difficult unless the wheel can be entirely removed (presumably depending on the amount of slack in the cable). The bike shop are going to cut the wire (eek) and make a permanent plug/socket type arrangement for ease of removal in the future. Not a job I really fancied because there are three wires to the motor plus another five (I think) to handle the controller feedback. Crossing fingers it all works . . .
I was thinking about making the plug/socket myself, it seems a very useful upgrade. I was put of the idea by the number of wires like you say and also wasn't sure if there would be weather proofing issues. SOunds like you have a great bike shop there, I doubt many would want to mess about with stuff like that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Plug and socket will be ok if the three phase power wires are through a good enough socket to handle up to 20 amps. The five Hall sensor wires can have any sort of lightweight socket, though it's essential it's a type capable of consistent connections.

Perfect waterproofing is possible if they are bound afterwards with self amalgamating rubber tape, like this from Maplins:

Self amalgamating tape

If stretched to half again it's length as it's bound around, the waterproofing will be immediate, and it heals to a one piece coating over time.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
SOunds like you have a great bike shop there, I doubt many would want to mess about with stuff like that.
Recommended by another pedelecer (thanks Burncycle)! The final result, of course, remains to be seen. Thanks also Flecc for the tape idea, will make sure it's finished off with it.