Izip ezgo hub motor

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi folks
Hoping for a techie that might be able to help me

I have just been given a broken ezgo ( frame fatigue on the seat post ) I was hoping to strip out the rear 16" wheel . remove the single freewheel and rebuilt the (28h ) motor into a 20" rim ( I have a 28 hole rim )
with a replacement Speed controller and fit a 5 speed block . I have a 26v 10 ah lipo I can use to power the new wheel ( I am hoping to fit it into a tadpole trike ) the width of the wheel wont be a problem as I can build the rear of the trike to suit the wider hub .The original speed controller was an assist ,so I was going to replace with a standard 3 way controller . any pointers welcome

regards emma

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Stripped the e-wheel from the bike and removed the freewheel , It looks like I need to space the hub another 14mm maxiimum on either side to fit a 6 speed block on it , I have plenty of room to modify the back end of the unfinished trike

am I wasting my time or will this work as a 20" e-bike wheel when l have rebuilt it . would it be possible to convert the wheel to disc rather than the combined hub brake ? It looks a good motor being a curries and geared , the only let down but if I build the wheel "tight " the 28 spokes on such a small wheel should be OK

and any Ideas on top speed keeping this at 26 v .
I understand these motors are power hungry

regards emma

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If a UK model it would have the cutoff at about 18.5 mph with the original setup but in a 20" wheel Emma. It would certainly work ok, but might not have much torque in a trike, with the motor being originally for a 16" wheel folder.

I don't know exactly the type of rear brake it has, but it's probably spline mounted on the hub motor. I very much doubt it will have any provision for conversion to disc brake.

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Thanks for getting back to me flecc

It will be just for " Assist " rather than Power , with a choice of gears from very low to high enough it will help rather than power .
I will be replacing the controller with a new one and a new throttle as both have seen better days , I have a choice of power either 3x 12 12ah SLA ( from the leaner meaner trike as avatar ) or a 7s 2p 26 volt 10ah lipo pack , from gringo . The overall hub with with packing for the 6 speed will be 178 mm and there is enough meat left after the nuts to accommodate it with the spacers .
Using the original brale unit would not be a problem as a spacer on the stabiliser arm would make up the slack .
I was going to replace the controller with a sensor-less controller rather than the sensor type .

I assume the wheel which is built 1x at the moment should still be built using 1x as the spoke angles to the rim will look silly .
I am not going to try and dish the wheel to maintain maximum strength .

How can I tell if its an import or a uk model the only date code I found is 2008 on the original controller ?