Izip mountain trials power problems

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
You've wired it wrong. You've gone from the black of the left battery to the black of the right battery, but it should go to the red of the right battery. You should have the black of one and the red of the other going to the terminals and the other red and black joined to each other. I'm assuming that the black wires cross over at the back, but it's hidden from view, so not possible for me to follow them.
thank you for your help the battery was wired correctly as followed a vid on youtube. The fault is at the fuse end think it is a broken wire so is not making a full circuit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As Dave/vfr has said you have wired the batteries up wrong.
They should be wired in series so 2 x 12v wired becomes 1 x 24v.
The Blue line is the series connection where one battery + must connect to the other battery --. The other Black on battery #1 is the negative discharge and Red on battery #2 is the positive discharge.
Also you would be better turning the RH battery so the Black and Red contact are adj to each other only requiring a short series link.

1268AD0D-17BC-4032-8FA0-D87DCE895AE4.jpeg_LI.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Also you would be better turning the RH battery so the Black and Red contact are adj to each other only requiring a short series link.

View attachment 38068
That's a lot clearer explanation.

From memory, those batteries are an extremely tight fit in the case. You have to have the terminals at opposite ends to get them in the case and the wires have to take exactly the right routes. It took me about two minutes to solder new batteries in, then about an hour to put them in the case. Somebody else opened the case and took them out, so I didn't see how they went. It was like one of those puzzles you get in Xmas crackers. When you've figured out or been shown the answer, it's easy.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: gazza19 and Bobajob

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020

From memory, those batteries are an extremely tight fit in the case. You have to have the terminals at opposite ends to get them in the case and the wires have to take exactly the right routes. It took me about two minutes to solder new batteries in, then about an hour to put them in the case. Somebody else opened the case and took them out, so I didn't see how they went. It was like one of those puzzles you get in Xmas crackers. When you've figured out or been shown the answer, it's easy.
thanks for all your help this is the video i watched and the battery was wired up the same way with the old batteries connected so i just put the new ones in exactly the same way

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
As Dave/vfr has said you have wired the batteries up wrong.
They should be wired in series so 2 x 12v wired becomes 1 x 24v.
The Blue line is the series connection where one battery + must connect to the other battery --. The other Black on battery #1 is the negative discharge and Red on battery #2 is the positive discharge.

View attachment 38068
Brilliant post. I was trying to follow the wiring pic but confused where everything was going, your overlay explain it fully.

Reactions: gazza19

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thanks for all your help this is the video i watched and the battery was wired up the same way with the old batteries connected so i just put the new ones in exactly the same way.
And does it work ?

Simply type in your browser batteries in series and you will see how to wire two batteries correctly.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also you are blindly going by a video believing it to be correctly wired in the first place.

Another anomaly is the fuse is placed on the negative side, ebikes use Black/negative as the Ground /Gnd side so in all cases the fuse should be on the opposite feed being the positive side.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

From memory, those batteries are an extremely tight fit in the case. You have to have the terminals at opposite ends to get them in the case and the wires have to take exactly the right routes. It took me about two minutes to solder new batteries in, then about an hour to put them in the case.
I forgot the batteries have to lay down so yes quite right contacts/terminals need to be opposing, my suggestion would lead to shorting.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
thank you everyone that has given me advise. the power problem is now sorted.
However the pedal assist is not working so any advise on how to sort that problem would be much appreciated.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thank you everyone that has given me advise. the power problem is now sorted.
However the pedal assist is not working so any advise on how to sort that problem would be much appreciated.
First thing to check is that the magnet disc goes round with the pedals and isn't sticking. Next, check that the gap to the sensor is a constant 1mm.

Did you do anything to the white box? That's the thing that converts the pedal sensor signal to a throttle signal for the controller. Maybe check its connectors.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
First thing to check is that the magnet disc goes round with the pedals and isn't sticking. Next, check that the gap to the sensor is a constant 1mm.

Did you do anything to the white box? That's the thing that converts the pedal sensor signal to a throttle signal for the controller. Maybe check its connectors.
hi no i didnt touch the white box at all.the disc does go round with the pedal . it was a bit away from the senor so moved it a bit closer but still dosnt work .

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
This is the throttle on the bike when the switch is off the throttle does not work however if I pedal and turn the throttle the motor kicks in . When I push the switch in.the throttle will work on it’s own and switch the motor on I’ve always thought that in pedal assist you just have to pedal and the motor kicks in sorry if I’m sounding a bit thick like I’ve said before I’m new to this fault finding lark lol38155

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This is the throttle on the bike when the switch is off the throttle does not work however if I pedal and turn the throttle the motor kicks in . When I push the switch in.the throttle will work on it’s own and switch the motor on I’ve always thought that in pedal assist you just have to pedal and the motor kicks in sorry if I’m sounding a bit thick like I’ve said before I’m new to this fault finding lark lol
I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

You can change it to a conventional pedal assist by taking the spring out of the throttle and pushing it up against the brake or shifter to create some friction to keep it in position. You have to twist it back to the zero position every time you switch on because the controller needs to see zero throttle when it initialises.

gazza19

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

You can change it to a conventional pedal assist by taking the spring out of the throttle and pushing it up against the brake or shifter to create some friction to keep it in position. You have to twist it back to the zero position every time you switch on because the controller needs to see zero throttle when it initialises.
thank you i will try that will the spring be behind the switch or in the twist bit of the throttle