Judder when pull back throttle. Bat flattery??

Hazel2705

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2011
I've only had my electric bike a week and have used it everyday, done about 90 miles so far. On the second day I had one episode of juddering after I'd been out on it all day and then cut out so assumed it was battery.

Today after about 10 miles I got some juddering again when I pulled back on the throttle and a very slight judder when pedalling but it was happening on and off for about 2 miles. Is this just the battery going flat? The one time the battery went totally flat it just stopped and I had to pedal normally.

It's a powacycle Salisbury (or as I've now named her "Sally")

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the battery has got too low Hazel. Unfortunately Powacycle have chosen to use a cheaper type of cutout circuit which allows the power to cut back in as the voltage rises again. The mechanism is that the voltage drops under load, the cutout operates disconnecting the load so allowing the voltage to rise again, and the power cut back in. Hence the off/on juddering. This arrangement was criticised by A to B magazine in their review of this model.

It's best to switch off as soon as the juddering starts to avoid damage in the longer term. In any case, for the longest battery life it's best to avoid running the battery so low all the time, charging often being advisable.

Hazel2705

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Need to charge everyday by the looks of it. Did have two bags full of shopping after being to Tesco which added a bit extra weight so not surprised the battery went flat!

I'm not very technically minded so I instantly thought there was something wrong!

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks for the reply. Need to charge everyday by the looks of it. Did have two bags full of shopping after being to Tesco which added a bit extra weight so not surprised the battery went flat!

I'm not very technically minded so I instantly thought there was something wrong!
If you use it every day you should charge it every day. Even if you haven't gone far, recharging at the first opportunity will give you the best battery life. Also then you should have to worry less about whether there is enough charge left for any intended use.

Rog.