Juicy Classic Click lagging

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It does sound as if maybe you didn't get the wheel lined up when you put it back on.
It might be worth getting someone to hold the bike vertically upright resting on it's wheels then slacken off the rear axle bolts and re tighten. If that doesn't work try doing the same thing, but with the bolts slack, apply the rear brake lightly but firmly and keep applied whilst tightening the bolts.
It needs two to do this but doesn't take long and is worth a try.
Dave.

Reactions: Emzie

Emzie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2020
It sounds like the indexing needs doing on the gears if they are grinding and slipping, does the rear wheel rotate freely if you lift it off the ground?
It rotates freely forward, and about half a turn backwards.

I've just degreased and thoroughly cleaned my chainset and lubed the chain and that seems to have helped a little. The gears still don't shift as smoothly as they did when I first got the bike, but it was better.

The brake pads seem to be clearing the disc, and I'm reluctant to mess about with them as I'm very new to disc brakes and all the local bike shops within cycling distance are booked up for the next two months so I can't get the bike sorted if I mess anything up.

Thank you for your reply!

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
It does sound as if maybe you didn't get the wheel lined up when you put it back on.
It might be worth getting someone to hold the bike vertically upright resting on it's wheels then slacken off the rear axle bolts and re tighten. If that doesn't work try doing the same thing, but with the bolts slack, apply the rear brake lightly but firmly and keep applied whilst tightening the bolts.
It needs two to do this but doesn't take long and is worth a try.
Dave.
Thanks Dave, I'll give that a go tomorrow!

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
After thinking the issue was fixed last night, I took my bike out for a quick 3 miles today and it's just as bad as it ever was and the gears are grinding/slipping when I shift, especially to lower gears. I tested pedaling the bike with the power off and it's next to impossible to get up to any sort of speed.

I'll take a look at the rear brake tomorrow and see if that's the issue and if that doesn't sort it, I guess it's a trip to the bike shop!
It sounds like the wheel isn't in straight and the tyre is rubbing the frame causing the drag and will also cause the indexing to be out.

Reactions: Emzie

Emzie

Jun 3, 2020
It sounds like the wheel isn't in straight and the tyre is rubbing the frame causing the drag and will also cause the indexing to be out.
I'm going to try Dave's advice tomorrow and hopefully that will sort it out!