Just back from Presteigne...

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Just thought I mention what a good show Presteigne was. Lots of new makes, and new enterprises too. Most pleasing to me was seeing Tony Castles, back in business with avengence, and working for a team that can add the Nano onto more or less anything.

Also new to me there were Gepida. A range of bike similar to the panasonic system, but using a system from Toyota. Swiss Flyers were there too (very nice), the Cytronex team with a number of different makes and models not just the Treks, Xipi (Zippy) selling bikes with a 2500W motor on that can be 'phased down' to be road legal, and having 250W stamped on the side (although they can hit over 30mph off road without pedaling), as well as the regulars, Wisper, Kalkhoff, Giant, Monark, Urban Mover (whose new little folder felt impressive), and a number of others.

There was even the new Morgan Lifecar there (eat your heart out Batman!).

And it hardly rained!

A good show :)

John

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I was there today too. A very good show that seems to have expanded somewhat since last year.
Pity it coincided with the Malvern show - the traffic was queued back several miles to the island off the M5 J7. :(

I intended to try more bikes this year but got totally mesmerised by the Cytronex display again. Ended up trying several of the bikes out. All was was lost after that.:cool:
Took some piccies of the Morgan Life car. Very nice day. Would have been great to bump into you but there's no way of knowing whos who.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Lol - I totally agree! I stayed over in the Radnorshire Arms, with what seems to have been most of the e-bike businesses!!

Heres some pictures I took :)

Presteigne 2009

John

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the report John. One small point, the Hungarian Gepida bikes use the new Yamaha unit, not Toyota. It is as you say very similar to the Panasonic one. From the Gepida site:

yamaha.jpg

I'd be interested to know more about who the team is that Tony Castles is working for, since the last I heard was that he didn't want to work with others, someone saying he didn't want to go down that route again.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for the report John. One small point, the Hungarian Gepida bikes use the new Yamaha unit, not Toyota. It is as you say very similar to the Panasonic one. From the Gepida site:

View attachment 714

I'd be interested to know more about who the team is that Tony Castles is working for, since the last I heard was that he didn't want to work with others, someone saying he didn't want to go down that route again.
Thanks for correcting me Flecc, yes Yamaha D'oh

Tony is working with a couple of people apparently, though only in a technical capacity. I think they were called something like Electric World or something. I will go through my literature and confirm.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the info John. I'm pleased to hear that, I don't think Tony is suited to a routine production role, he's always shown himself much better creatively.

JohnnyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2009
In pursuit of the 'perfect' bike I had a great day in Presteigne yesterday; like a kid in a sweet shop! As a result I am more confused than ever! I really liked the 'claud butler' framed Cytronix. (I didn't want to hand it back!), it looked like I could still pedal even when the battery died! The Wisper 905 sport was equally good, but in a different way; I like the choice of throttle/pedalec. The nano brompton was good, attacking hills with relish - but ultimately not for me, well not as a 'main' bike. A couple of others which blurred into the background were enjoyable, then my final ride was on a Pro Connect. Have to say that it really is a superbly finished article and puts some of the others in the shade! As you can see they are all different types of bike! Ultimately I want to commute on a canal tow path, not sure I want / need mountain bike tyres and still want exercise - I reckon I am leaning towards the cytronix but wait, the wisper was great too! Great event, great day, many thanks to the organisers.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Forget the rest for me.
The three things that stood out from the crowd;
The E-Motion racer, didn't get to try that but it looked brilliant, the flat barred version (white with the 11 tooth small cog on the back) was a delight;
The new micro battery for the Nano, 10 amp hour claimed capacity in a bag that wouldn't hold 10 Woodbines and the matches to light them; and .......
The Greenspeed. Did any one count the gears on that thing? 3 Chain rings, a 9 tooth sprocket at the back on the Sramm 3 speed hub, a total of 81. lots of overlap. I got totally lost a couple of times but does it ride nicely or what.
To quote the importer "the most dangerous thing with it was falling asleep at the traffic lights" , not I would imagine strictly accurate, but it was that comfy.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I was there on Saturday. Hadn't planned to go, but finished work unexpectedly early in the morning, snap decision made - so managed to arrive in time to squeeze in the last two hours before the 5pm deadline. Beautiful (and quiet) country lanes on the way up, mostly in sunshine - felt like a mini holiday.

Saw someone earnestly snapping photo after photo of the kit-car-like LiFEcar - as you've shown photos of it above - was that you John?

- And Tony Castles people (after a demo ride on two of their bikes) were offering me a 10% discount for Presteigne only, if I agreed to a Nano kit sale there and then that weekend. It's only because as said above, that after sampling so many offerings that I too, am more undecided than ever, that I declined, knowing that I may well buy in the future at a much higher price. Oh well. They took my address details anyway.

Biggest surprise of the show for me? The sheer comfort of the Pro Connect. (The first e-bike that sported a frame suitable for my 6' 2" frame). I was expecting a harsh ride as some comments on here over the last year appertaining to the 'harshness' of the ride with many ruminating on more comfortable tyres etc., Didn't notice, but it looked like the 24 spoke version . . . nah couldn't have been, but it was one of the management's own long-term personal bikes and looked as if it had seen some serious use. If so, the comfort I found was most welcome. I think a lot of retailers are losing out by offering restricted frame sizes; surely it can't be that expensive an option? Was expecting little motor help as the Pro Connect motor cadence is supposed to be set for the mid forties - and mine is in the mid seventies, but I seemed to receive assistance all the way. Impressed. As in, very.

Bit confused with the Cytronex. I was running out of time but I'm pretty sure the demonstrators I sampled were not on Trek frames (ie.,Cannodale?) Still, nice bowling along easily at 17mph in windy conditions on a what I assume is a not-available-to-the-public 210 rpm Cytronex motor, as the website only sells a lower 190rpm? off-road 'high speed' version of the wheel/motor as an accessory. Apparently they have over 150 pre-orders for the yet-to-be-unveiled Cytronex kit (expected Autumn). Checking the old posts on here that kit has been 'due soon' now, for over a year already.

Wisper stand looked deserted every time I passed; maybe they were busy, down on the road setting up the riders for their demo.

The stands area was that busy you couldn't just take-off, but had to practise your track-stands as you braked, to negotiate your way through bikes arrowing, hither and thither, in excitement. Never saw a collision but expected one with the throng of people/kids/cyclists crossing in front of each other without concern or observing what was barreling down on them out of their vision.

-Then, would you believe it? I took off on a Nano-Brompton, IN front off a speeding cyclist who just about managed to brake in time. Doh! Not me? Yes! I was nearly responsible for causing a collision.

Did everyone get a go on the Speed Heinzemann? Over 24mph! Again a deal was offered against list price because it was 'an ex-demo bike'. Terrific fun.

Once out on the open road, I found a short, but serious bit of climb, and was reminded that they are all assist-only. So much so, that I have discovered a new found respect for my 'cheapo' Sailsbury. I was expecting the experience to leave the Salisbury dead in the water. But it felt comparable to them all (on the climbs) - but then again I am 16/17 stone depending. I'd swear my Salisbury was the quietest motor of them all too, (maybe because the Salisbury motor is so under-stressed?) To be fair it was a very windy day on Saturday with the wind wiping my cap off smartly whilst motoring along on the super-fast 400watt, (ahem 'off-road') Speed Heinzemann.

Very enjoyable afternoon; well worth the effort.

Last edited:

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
A grand day out

I went on Sunday - my first time and came back on a high. Even without owning an electric bike or participating in any events, trying plenty was great. Lots of friendly, helpful people – exhibitors and visitors alike. I got chatting to several others trying out bikes, especially at the top of the hill to the south of Presteigne where we compared makes, shared likes and dislikes and what we were looking for. It was the sort of event where it was very easy to strike up conversations with complete strangers.

Do other countries have anything like this? I bet if they do they lack the quirky spirit of fun found at Presteigne.

A big thank you to all involved.

Am I closer to choosing a bike? Well I’ve ruled out the Ezee Sprint, Wisper 705 is still possible, but so are others I hadn’t considered before! Looks like I'll be heading down to Onbike for more trials.

A bonus was a beautiful drive back throught the border countryside, virtually no traffic (sorry Barnowl) and an amazing encounter with a red kite (string-free type) circling above a dead badger on the road. Cracking!

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
Presteigne

I too managed to make the Saturday afternoon, after working most of the night and with only 3 hours sleep! The thrill of the montague paratrooper mountain bike with the dual motors soon woke me up! did anyone else get to try that hilly trail in nash woods with the ruts and roots etc?

I'm even more confused now than when I first set out on deciding which bike style to buy. For me the biggest surprise was the emotion sport although I will probably end up with one of the new cytronex bikes. Mark explained that the new line up of bikes was due to the changes in the Trek bike design.

I found all the dealers extremely friendly and helpful, and like Shroppielass found it really easy to compare experiences with other users and visitors at the event.

We really are lucky to have this event, pity we have to wait a whole year before the next one!

Matt

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Didn't we have a loverly time?

Didn't we have a loverly time, the day we went to Presteigne?! :)

What a blast!

Loads of manufactures and agents, probably the best display of ebikes I have ever seen outside China, and there was no rubbish on display here, only the best. Including the best costume in the rally, which was very good!

P1012507 -100.jpg

Norman, Gill, Gail, Kuarmy and I had a wonderful weekend, demo'd loads of bikes, found new dealers, and were paid so many compliments it was embarrassing, :eek: we were rushed off our feet.

P1012423 -100.jpg

The event had regained it's great carnival atmosphere, after the last two years when speed was king at any cost. The event as usual was superbly well run, Pete, Andrew and the team did a superb job, well done guys!

P1012466 cropped -100.jpg

Two things I felt were missing, a stand run by Pedelecs and it would have been great to see the great ebike superstar and font of all knowledge....... Flecc!

David Henshaw was there with his entire family who, as usual really joined in with gusto. Although Alexander did all the work! :cool:

P1012442 Crop -100.jpg

Please click on All to see all my photographs of the event.

All the best David

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Some great pics there!! Agreed the show was the biggest and best yet and the Tour was back to how it should be, no racing!

Well done all those involved in the organising!

Regards

FrankC

P.S. David, thanks for the beer ;)

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Thanks for the pictures John and David and for all the Presteigne reports.
I'm sure there are many members like myself who would love to have attended but for various reasons couldn't go. reading all about it is the next best thing.:)

Thanks again

Ken

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Saw someone earnestly snapping photo after photo of the kit-car-like LiFEcar - as you've shown photos of it above - was that you John?
Prob not, I took those in the early afternoon, but it certainly did 'generate' a lot of interest! :D

sorry

John

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Beer

Some great pics there!! Agreed the show was the biggest and best yet and the Tour was back to how it should be, no racing!

Well done all those involved in the organising!

Regards

FrankC

P.S. David, thanks for the beer ;)
My pleasure Frank, your round! :D

Al the best

David

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
It was the first time we have been to Presteign, but could only make it for the Sunday. I have to say it was quite a drive but well worth it, what a great event, we thoughly enjoyed it. The weather couldn't have been better as well. I would like to thank the commentator who kept us laughing all day with his humourous misinformation....well done!
Someone said to me while watching the the parade, 'doesn't it make you proud to be British'. I couldn't agree more.
My pictures here.
Tour De Presteign 09 pictures by gearhead188 - Photobucket
Mel

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Xipi (Zippy)

One of the displays at Presteigne was Xipi, boasting their 1000W 'legal' bikes and kits. I am not sure how much they know of the legal standing of pedelecs, but they claim to be legal on road when in normal mode.

Here is a link to their website (Xipi under construction).

I didnt get to have a go as they were saving their batteries for the 'unassisted' 10 lap race which I didnt see (who won that btw?).

What do people think?

John