Just fitted BBS02 kit

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Well annoyingly today the fuse popped again at exactly the same point in my ride home. Strangely it wasn't on a hill but on the flat.

So the consensus is to whack a larger rated fuse in then?

I'd put a 30a in. 40a next?
Check the fuse holder contacts are nice and clean. Any tarnishing can cause high resistance, overheating of the fuse and premature death, of the fuse that is :D

Contact cleaner on a cotton bud should do the trick.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I'll check that. I don't think it was that clean from memory so that might be a good shout.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Well despite cleaning the holder, replacing the fuse and charging the battery my unit would not power on.
I couldn't get any output from the battery using a multimeter so figured the immediate problem was there.
Took the battery base off and found the wire to the fuse holder had desoldered and was disconnected. Tried to take the fuse out again and the holder crumbled away. Logic tells me that this has been subjected to some pretty significant heat during use.

I've got power within the battery checking it at the main feeds so once the fuse holder is sorted I'm sure it will work again.

The concern is why it is blowing in the first place. Replacing fuses each ride is only masking the issue, there must be a root cause for the problem. Is it that I'm just expecting too much from this system. I'm north of 19st and the ride home is a sustained uphill slog of about 300ft over 2 miles. I try to keep the cadence at a decent pace and yesterday mostly managed to keep the C961 battery indicator from flashing empty.

I don't want to just blow fuse after fuse if damage is being caused elsewhere.

Where should I be looking (apart from weightwatchers!)

• :D
Reactions: Kinninvie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At least you have a good sense of humour and can laugh at your self :cool:.
Faulty wired fuse holder/connection will have caused shorting so when remedied a new fuse holder with 30a fuse should be ok. Shorting/arching will cause heat issues.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I might as well laugh at myself, everyone else does! ;-)

I currently have a 46T chainring. As my issue seems to be heat related would a 42T chainring alleviate some of the issue do you think? Was looking at the 42T on Eclipse bikes.

I'm not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination and hills feature heavily in my commute.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gearing is only and issue if you can't use a lower gear to keep the bbs spinning nicely, so on hills a 42t would be better.