Just joined

Tom.663

Just Joined
Dec 6, 2020
Hi just signed up recently. About to take delivery of a Cube Kathmandu easy access. Was concerned about no cross bar and looking stupid initially. However, I am also awaiting hip replacement surgery. This is hopefully going to help me get fit before surgery and aid recovery. I used to love cycling as a youngster and in last five years been an occasional cyclist again Until hip problems precluded that. Reading many of the reviews and stories, many people are using bikes as a way of getting active and enjoying themselves. So I haven’t got a cross bar, who cares. I can’t wait. Great site and interesting to see so many varied viewpoints.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It matters not what the bike is or you may feel you look like, the important thing is the bike is fit for purpose for your needs. The step thru is ideal for anyone with hip issues or unable to raise a leg very high.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

Tom.663

Just Joined
Dec 6, 2020
It matters not what the bike is or you may feel you look like, the important thing is the bike is fit for purpose for your needs. The step thru is ideal for anyone with issues or unable to raise a leg very high.
indeed, thanks for support

Coustim

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2020
Hi just signed up recently. About to take delivery of a Cube Kathmandu easy access. Was concerned about no cross bar and looking stupid initially. However, I am also awaiting hip replacement surgery. This is hopefully going to help me get fit before surgery and aid recovery. I used to love cycling as a youngster and in last five years been an occasional cyclist again Until hip problems precluded that. Reading many of the reviews and stories, many people are using bikes as a way of getting active and enjoying themselves. So I haven’t got a cross bar, who cares. I can’t wait. Great site and interesting to see so many varied viewpoints.
good luck with the hip replacement!

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Don't fret about the crossbar, lack of .. I went for an 'easy access' model (and I can still get my leg over, but why should I have to?). Only downside it is make securing the bike slightly trickier, especially mounting it on some bike racks, or maintenance stands, which can't imagine the lack of a crossbar to latch on to.

They even stopped calling them 'ladies bikes' sometimes in the last 50 years. 8>.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Nowt wrong with a step through, specially as you get older, I've now got one.
Can hop on or off quicker and I found with a cross bar bike, even if you can usually make the maneuvere, a full or tall load on the pannier rack can raise the level and clearance needed make the action trickier , depending on how you naturally manage it.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Don't fret about the crossbar, lack of .. I went for an 'easy access' model (and I can still get my leg over, but why should I have to?). Only downside it is make securing the bike slightly trickier, especially mounting it on some bike racks, or maintenance stands, which can't imagine the lack of a crossbar to latch on to.

They even stopped calling them 'ladies bikes' sometimes in the last 50 years. 8>.
That is probably the main disadvantage as I have a U lock , that limits the options sometimes compared to a chain lock. And the single downtube may be much thicker may be due to needing to support the overall structure etc .

For maintenance stands, yes they are heavier but I just place the seatpost between the jaws and let gravity and the saddle hold it - you may need to support the front wheel or I just usually let it hang or rest the front wheel on the floor at an angle as I find most access is needed at the crank or at the back wheel etc .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Croxden

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is probably the main disadvantage as I have a U lock , that limits the options sometimes compared to a chain lock. And the single downtube may be much thicker may be due to needing to support the overall structure etc .

For maintenance stands, yes they are heavier but I just place the seatpost between the jaws and let gravity and the saddle hold it - you may need to support the front wheel or I just usually let it hang or rest the front wheel on the floor at an angle as I find most access is needed at the crank or at the back wheel etc .
Or you can add a crossbar as I did on this Giant Lafree. The chromed tube is cut slightly on the long side and the frame sprung out to leave the added tube clamped by the frame contraction, the jubilee clips bolted into end plugs and only there to firmly locate the tube.

I use it for years like that and then sold it onto another member who used it for a couple of years and then sold it on again, all with the "crossbar" in place:

IMGP1092.JPG