Just ordered Bafang BBS01 350w kit, what else do I need?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi all,
After 3 years of hub drive ebiking, saw a deal on Ebay yesterday of 10% so ordered from Yosepower the Bafang BBs01 36v 350w mid drive kit for £269 delivered, so gonna try out a mid drive (will keep the hub drive bikes going too).

( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-Black-Mid-drive-Motor-BAFANG-Conversion-Kit-for-standard-Bikes/223560748321?epid=26022871451&hash=item340d424d21:g:7KYAAOSwCBtbenvL )

I already have three 36v Hailong batteries, so will be using them, swapping out from my hub drive yosepower MTB conversion

Will be looking to convert my Boardman MX Comp hybrid bike

Do I need a programming cable, or does it come well setup already, and can I tweak it using the supplied C961 lcd display ?

Gear sensor, worth it or not ?

Bafang tool, worth getting or do most use a hammer and screwdriver to tighten the lock rings ?

Anything else I need to get started with, or any tips on the standard config

Cheers all

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will not have a clue of any programming with out the downloaded software and a programming lead.

Reactions: egroover

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You will not have a clue of any programming with out the downloaded software and a programming lead.
Hi Nealh
Yes, I realise that, what I meant was do I really need to tweak the settings, i.e. is the standard settings OK for most types of riding, or am I missing out much by not getting the cable and programming guide

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Get a cable. There's a few tweaks you can do via the cable, that can make the riding experience nicer.

And.... do not use the hammer method to tighten the lockrings. Get a proper tool. They are cheap enough on eBay and you won't run the risk of knacking your new toy. All BBS units produce massive amounts of torque, so the lockrings need to be tightened properly, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks guys, so cable and tool ordered.

Any views on the gear sensor?

Cheers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The BBS** motors seem to have different settings from each supplier, and some of them are appalling. I recommend that you install and try your motor. If it's OK, leave it as it is. If you're not happy, get the cable and adjust it.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Cheers all for the advice

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I personally blip my brake lever, fitted with cut-off sensor, when changing gear. It's second nature now, so never seen the need for a gear sensor.
Gear sensor on a 250 not really needed

500w I'd say yes, worth it

350w - I manage without one

But it is quite nice to ride with one at any power level. Define "needed". The wife and I often disagree over how many bikes or parts are needed. Likewise on smelly beauty products :)