Just out of the Box: Proconnects 2009.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
PS from the wording on the cycleguard policy I don't see why they could refuse to cover the Cytronex. I haven't bothered to insure my Cytronex as it is too expensive for the low risk of it being stolen.
This e-bike insurance does seem to be somewhat pricey. Just out of interest I checked the Cycleguard website to see what their rates were like, and if you include third party liability on a £1200 bike you're in for a premium of around £150. My 650 Honda is insured third party fire and theft for less than £100. Admittedly I'm on maximum NCB and there is an excess, but even so.....

My feeling about insurance in general is that there are two reasons you might need it:

(1) There is a legal obligation - for instance against third party liability in a motor vehicle.
(2) You can't afford to replace whatever it is you're insuring - like your house.

Apart from that, I tend to keep in mind that insurance companies are looking to make a profit, and it's noticeably easier to pay the premiums than it is to persuade them to pay out on a claim.

Rog. (Tighter than a mallard's chuff!)

C

Cyclezee

The bike performed well in today,s heavy rain, I was particularly surprised at how well the brakes performed. The supplied bell is not that good.
I concur with the bell Dynamic. Riding over a bumpy surface, mine fell apart and I lost one of the cogs, so it doesn't work and will have to replace it. This probably the cheapest and worst component on the bike.

J:) hn

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
This e-bike insurance does seem to be somewhat pricey. Just out of interest I checked the Cycleguard website to see what their rates were like, and if you include third party liability on a £1200 bike you're in for a premium of around £150. My 650 Honda is insured third party fire and theft for less than £100. Admittedly I'm on maximum NCB and there is an excess, but even so.....

My feeling about insurance in general is that there are two reasons you might need it:

(1) There is a legal obligation - for instance against third party liability in a motor vehicle.
(2) You can't afford to replace whatever it is you're insuring - like your house.

Apart from that, I tend to keep in mind that insurance companies are looking to make a profit, and it's noticeably easier to pay the premiums than it is to persuade them to pay out on a claim.

The difference between motorcycle insurance and bicycle insurance is that with a c

Rog. (Tighter than a mallard's chuff!)

I think the difference between motorcycle and bicycle insurance is that the third party or public liability element is a very large part of the motorcycle premium but a very small portion of the bicycle insurance premium. However a bicycle is much more likely to be stolen and not recovered.

All things considered I do think that bicycle insurance is not worth it and it is better to get a couple of good locks and be careful where you park it.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
The theft aspect of insurance is usually best covered by adding it to the household insurance, I covered the Wisper for £5/year.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
The theft aspect of insurance is usually best covered by adding it to the household insurance, I covered the Wisper for £5/year.
That's much more like it, if your household insurance allows for it.

Presumably, though, that only applies when it's stolen from your premises. If you're away from home and it's parked somewhere and it gets stolen from there, you might find that your house insurance won't be much help.

Rog.

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
Direct line charge me £10 each for a Powacycle and a bike with an Alien Conversion, to cover theft and accidental loss (is that theft?) and damage to the bike and accessories, as usual the bike has to be locked when away from home. It is an Option to add bikes to the policy and they pay the value you give to the bike when adding them.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
That house hold insurance is prepared to cover a £1000 bike for £5 a year shows what a rip-off most dedicated bicycle insurance policies are.
Some household insurance companies have a limit on replacement costs, for example my insurance has a limit of £500, so it doesn't always work.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Direct line charge me £10 each for a Powacycle and a bike with an Alien Conversion, to cover theft and accidental loss (is that theft?) and damage to the bike and accessories, as usual the bike has to be locked when away from home. It is an Option to add bikes to the policy and they pay the value you give to the bike when adding them.
I tried Direct Line first because I have had fully comprehensive motor insurance with them for 10 years without a claim. They told me that they do not cover pedelecs or e-bikes!

The cost of e-bike insurance is expensive. I will probably take the risk on myself and save the money for a full service and a new battery.

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
I tried Direct Line first because I have had fully comprehensive motor insurance with them for 10 years without a claim. They told me that they do not cover pedelecs or e-bikes!

The cost of e-bike insurance is expensive. I will probably take the risk on myself and save the money for a full service and a new battery.
I probably should have said that was a Household Contents Policy!

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I probably should have said that was a Household Contents Policy!
I asked Direct Line if they knew of an insurer who covered Pedelecs and I was given a telephone number for one of their sister companies. The sister company only covered Mopeds! It is strange that they did not suggest Direct Line Home Insurance.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I asked Direct Line if they knew of an insurer who covered Pedelecs and I was given a telephone number for one of their sister companies. The sister company only covered Mopeds! It is strange that they did not suggest Direct Line Home Insurance.
It's a tricky one this. I used to have my normal bikes covered by paying an additional small sum to my co-op home contents insurance. The policy lapsed and when I tried to renew it they said they did not offer the bike option anymore but that it was covered by the Unspecified Personal Possessions – which includes:

Personal items, valuables and clothing normally worn or carried outside the home up to £2,000 per article, pair set or collection
Money up to £500
Fraudulent use of credit cards up to £500
Pedal cycles up to £1,000 per cycle
Sports equipment up to £1,000 in total
Mobile phones up to £250 and up to £25 for lost calls.

I never asked about the electric aspect. It never occurred to me and they probably hadn't a clue then anyway.
I take the view that I have a pedal cycle that's worth £1K. It's certainly not in the same category as a moped. I could also take the view that I have a pedal cycle worth so much and an electric kit (personal item carried outside the the home) worth so much. Bear in mind I don't always cycle with the battery in place.
In pricipal if I had a Bianchi road bike that cost £1K it would be much more likely to get nicked than my modest looking Cytronex Trek 7.3FX that looks like a Trek 7.3FX worth a fraction of the cost - and even with the leccie kit infinitely less nickable. I'm not much bothered by the finer points such as yes but it would cost more than a £1K to replace it now etc. The risk is very low and I would have taken the policy anyway.

PS Regular parking in London or similar would be a bigger concern for me.

Last edited: