Just tell me which bike to buy - please!

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Evening, riders! I've spent the past three or four months studying and mulling over electric bikes - and I feel like I'm going round and round in circles and about to do my fruit! I just want one to play around on (mostly on the flat) for starters, really, and I've currently got in mind a Powacycle Milan 2. Incidentally, anyone know what Flecc rides? :) Johnny, Manchester

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I ride my own modified bikes Johnny, one originally an eZee Quando and the other originally a Torq 1, but both very heavily modified:

The Q bike

The T bike

If you just want something to play about with and not spend much money to do that, the Milan would be a good choice, but it's heavy with a lead acid battery so the hill climbing wouldn't be great.

Most of the other stuff around the £350 to £400 mark is rubbish and prices for bikes with lighter batteries generally start at over £500.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I chose a Wisper 905se. It was a really easy decision for me because it's the only electic bike that actually looks like a decent mountain bike.

I've seen some other electic bikes that I quite like but they're still waiting to be built.

Like this one for example:

Infineum Electric Bikes

But yeah, if you're not too bothered about the appearance then I can see how it would be very difficult to decide. When it comes to performance they're all very similar.

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Thanks, Wibble - I'll have another look at the 905!

And, Flecc, thanks for your bike details & website and advice. Terrific! I've read somewhere in the postings that you've been motorising bikes since the 1950s. I've got a little 1959 NSU Quickly (now running and t&t) and a Cyclemaster shortly going into an old post-office bike. But I really love the idea of whizzing along silently on an electric bike - I've only had one quick go, for about 200 yards! Maybe, after a Milan 2, I'll get to build a special, like you, too, one day! Messing about with bikes is very addictive, I've found, and I'm running out of space! Best wishes, Johnny, Manchester

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The NSU and Cyclemaster bring back memories Johnny. Is your Cyclemaster the 25cc (black) or the 32cc (grey)?

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
It's the 32cc, Flecc - the sportsbike! My pal went to buy it in Yorkshire, from Manchester, and was given the old logbook with it. He opened it and discovered the Cyclemaster was the one that had belonged to his Dad years before. On it, he used to travel from Manchester to Lincolnshire to visit relatives, with a bottle of spare petroil in his saddlebag. Just wait till we get the battery range cracked on electric bikes! Johnny

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Gordon Bennett, Flecc! I've just read your review of the Agattu and fancy one o' them now! Johnny

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You'll need to save your pennies for that one Johnny! Try before buy though, it's a great bike, but not everyone likes the pedelec way, some preferring traditional throttle control.