Kahlkoff Intregale Headset , how to tighten

jambonsambo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2017
ireland
Hi , does anyone here have any clue as to how I tighten the play out of a kahlkoff intregale headset ?

I see that there are two parts that scew out of each other to create the pressure once the stem is locked on but they wont stay in position despite me tighten all the visible bolts ,

Thanks if anyone can help I have never seen a headset like this before.

IMG_20180719_135341.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
loosen the stem bolts and the top cap bolt push it all down as far as you can and use the top cap bolt to compress the stem on to the fork then tighten the stem bolts.

looks like it was done in reverse lol.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Doesn't the Kalkhoff use a design that isn't quite the same as a conventional set up. I can't for the life of me remember what it is at the moment though. :(
Looks like you're right Eddie, judging from this image showing no side clamp bolts. Weird.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here you go. :)

You can skip the handlebar and ancillaries removal.
Well found Eddie!

But as for the design, I have to ask "Why?", when previous methods have been so much simpler.

It's bit like "Why use a sentence when a whole paragraph will do?"

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

jambonsambo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2017
ireland
Thanks folks but its neither the usual threadless headset design or the one in the video above ill post more pics and possibly a video link

natmat

Just Joined
Mar 6, 2022
Hi , does anyone here have any clue as to how I tighten the play out of a kahlkoff intregale headset ?

I see that there are two parts that scew out of each other to create the pressure once the stem is locked on but they wont stay in position despite me tighten all the visible bolts ,

Thanks if anyone can help I have never seen a headset like this before.

View attachment 25890
Old thread, but wondered if ever solved?
My Kalkhoff has this above setup, but can't find anywhere that says how to pre-load top race.

natmat

Just Joined
Mar 6, 2022
Old thread, but wondered if ever solved?
My Kalkhoff has this above setup, but can't find anywhere that says how to pre-load top race.
Sorted the headset/stem setup.

1. Penetrating oil and the lower-lock ring hex bolt could be undone, which freed up the threaded upper pre-load ring.
2. Then screwed upper into lower (push rod through tangentially) make the two butt-up together
3. Slackened off 2* stem bolts, pushed stem and two lock-rings down onto head tube, then tightened stem.
4. Unwound, about 5/4 turns, upper ring until play removed.
5. Tightened up lower lock ring hex bolt.

Still have gap between head tube and upper inset bearing race and the lower lock-ring (not quite as bad as above photo). However, zero play now.