Kalkhoff agattu clacking noise

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a clacking sound from the crank/chain area but might be from the rear hub. It sounds exactly like that described on a thread here, which I was reading a while ago, which turned out to be the motor mounting bolts..there was talk of loosening the bolts then jiggling and retightening..but I can't now find that thread!

Does anyone know the thread I'm talking about..or recognise the issue? I would like to know which bolts to loosen and retighten if possible.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's a photo of a bike frame and unit upside down, the three bolt holes arrowed. Tighten those three bolts, they have to be very tight.

This is with the Panasonic unit, but there will be similar bolts for the Impulse units:

Reactions: lordvincent

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A skipping chain can also give a clacking noise.

Reactions: lordvincent

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a clacking sound from the crank/chain area but might be from the rear hub. It sounds exactly like that described on a thread here, which I was reading a while ago, which turned out to be the motor mounting bolts..there was talk of loosening the bolts then jiggling and retightening..but I can't now find that thread!

Does anyone know the thread I'm talking about..or recognise the issue? I would like to know which bolts to loosen and retighten if possible.
:eek:From your description sounds like you may have a goose stuck in there some where :D.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks to all. It wasn't any of the threads which shemozzle referenced, but I will tighten the bolts as per flecc's image - looks like I will need a crank puller and some circlip pliers. I will do this and report back as to whether this cooks the goose..

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Thanks to all. It wasn't any of the threads which shemozzle referenced, but I will tighten the bolts as per flecc's image - looks like I will need a crank puller and some circlip pliers. I will do this and report back as to whether this cooks the goose..
Also look for loose golden eggs whilst you are at it

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
As an update for anyone who may find themselves with the same noise/issue, I tightened the bolts, but unfortunately I overdid it and broke the bolt (I thought it was an M10 for some reason). So having replaced all bolts and the chain and chain wheel, there is still an occasional clack but I'm pretty sure its something to do with the chain as it occurs much less when the chain is properly tensioned.
In any case I'm much less bothered by it now