Kalkhoff Agattu or Pro Connect

Fairweather Cycles - Tom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2010
www.fairweathercycles.co.uk
Hi Tangent, I noticed you're considering Panasonic based bikes - have you looked at the Yamaha based Gepida models too? They got a very positive review in the extraenergy.org 2009 report and the power assist is similar to Panasonic. They currently offer city / touring, cruiser and mountain bike models, using Shimano Nexus hub gears, Busch & Muller lighting, suspended seat post and forks and are so comfortable.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Hi Tom,

yes I did look at the Gepida models, but prefer the Panasonic as it seems to have made more market penetration in the UK, with excellent reviews. I bought a Giant electric bike 6 years ago and have not found support that great. Giant themselves refuse to communicate with customers directly and most bike shops do not really want to know or are scathing about electric bikes. I am looking for an Agattu type bike and cannot really see any advantage in the Gepida - certainly no cheaper.

Fairweather Cycles - Tom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2010
www.fairweathercycles.co.uk
It's true that the Panasonic system has more market penetration over here, presumably because it's used by more bike manufacturers. I think in Japan Yamaha are just as popular though and it's a much more mature market.

There are now aorund 17 Gepida resellers across the country, we've recently become one - you might have guessed :) - and we've got a sale on to celebrate opening. It's only for orders placed up until next Saturday, so if you did want to check out Gepida now would be an opportune time. Significant savings available for a very short time only.

In the meantime I'd recommend downloading the extraenergy.org 2009 report to browse the reviews ;)

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Tom,
and most bike shops do not really want to know or are scathing about electric bikes..
I had some of that. I took my Kalkhoff in to my LBS get the rear cog changed (I decided against it in the end).

While there, I learned that kalkhoff bikes were rubbish. That there was no point to electric bikes. That mudguards were for wimps. Oh yes, and nobody used hub gears because they were heavy and inefficient compared to 'proper' derailleur gears.

Always good to be advised by experts :rolleyes:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Wiggle confirmed that the special offer Technium Privilege is the 8 speed version, so I have ordered one. They only seem to have 1 size, but fortuneately it is perfect for me. I think this is quite a bargain as my Giant Lafree Twist cost me £900 6 years ago and this had only 3 speed gears and a 6.5Ah battery.

Not sure whether the high power assistance setting provides 1:1.3 or 1:1.5, instead it is described as 40%:60%. Numerically this should give 1:1.5 of course.

Ordered a 16T rear sprocket at the same time to provide more sensible gearing.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You should have yourself a good bike there, at a competitive price.

Are you currently using a 16T sprocket on your Giant? The only reason I ask is because I found it a bit too highly geared. 18T or 19T seems perfect, but then again it's all personal choice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure whether the high power assistance setting provides 1:1.3 or 1:1.5, instead it is described as 40%:60%. Numerically this should give 1:1.5 of course.
It's not the big difference it might appear to be superficially. In high mode, if 1.3 you provide 43% of the requirement, if 1.5 you provide 40%. I very much doubt anyone could detect that 3% difference in their personal effort!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wiggle confirmed that the special offer Technium Privilege is the 8 speed version, so I have ordered one. They only seem to have 1 size, but fortuneately it is perfect for me. I think this is quite a bargain as my Giant Lafree Twist cost me £900 6 years ago and this had only 3 speed gears and a 6.5Ah battery.

Ordered a 16T rear sprocket at the same time to provide more sensible gearing.
Looks very good value......piccs plse:) and brief review would be welcome;)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I had some of that. I took my Kalkhoff in to my LBS get the rear cog changed (I decided against it in the end).

While there, I learned that kalkhoff bikes were rubbish. That there was no point to electric bikes. That mudguards were for wimps. Oh yes, and nobody used hub gears because they were heavy and inefficient compared to 'proper' derailleur gears.

slagging off a customer with a high value commuter bike waiting to spend money at their business in the middle of a recession is hardly expert behaviour IMO...

one of the former "nay sayers" amongst the local shops here has started stocking e-bikes - low end models (Orbea, never heard of them!) but hopefully it will mean more of a "can-do" attitude to dealing with repairs..

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
My LBS offers excellent service. Only a small shop but for the last two years he has sold well into double figures Powacycle Salisbury's and Windsors. He even sold one Infineum.
I have owned the Salisbury for 16 months and in my opinion it is a great bike, certainly has made me slimmer and fitter. During that time I have had no major issues, but one or two have, mainly with controllers. The shop owner sourced the parts and fitted without issue.
I recently had a rear puncture, unsure of how to remove the wheel, I rang him for advice. He came out next day (10 miles), collected the bike to repair in his shop. Then showed me how it was possible to remove the wheel without disconnecting from the controller.
I often pop in for a chat, he has trued the wheels, checked the brakes etc, all for no cost.
In other words he values his customers, and it pays. He recently started stocking (one) the Freego Eagle. Although there is no history on this bike, I bought one. What helped my decision was the fact that whatever troubles I face (hopefully none), I will get full support from the shop owner.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

This has been almost the norm for the UK cycle trade, reactionary and disliking any change.

I still remember my first boss in the cycle and motorcycle trade insisting derailleur gears were a stupid and unnecessary idea that would never catch on. :rolleyes:

He also thought the British would never buy Japanese motorbikes when they first appeared on the market. :D

His grandson now runs the international Suzuki Moto GP team under his old bike firm's name, Crescent. :p

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
In other words he values his customers, and it pays. He recently started stocking (one) the Freego Eagle. Although there is no history on this bike, I bought one. What helped my decision was the fact that whatever troubles I face (hopefully none), I will get full support from the shop owner.
to be fair my old LBS is quite like that but they "weren't sure" about e-bikes, however they are a cyclelife franchise so might be stocking the Raleigh/Derby Cycles panasonic models (I will ask them next time, except also I moved some distance away from them so they are the other end of town rather than "local!")

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Are you currently using a 16T sprocket on your Giant? The only reason I ask is because I found it a bit too highly geared. 18T or 19T seems perfect, but then again it's all personal choice.
Yes, I am using a 16T on my Giant. But the Giant has only 26" wheels and a 37T chainwheel, so you may well be right about a 16T making the new bike too highly geared. What size is the chainwheel on the Agattu?

On my Giant I actually find myself a bit undergeared even with the 16T and I never use first gear. However SW London is hardly hilly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I am using a 16T on my Giant. But the Giant has only 26" wheels and a 37T chainwheel, so you may well be right about a 16T making the new bike too highly geared. What size is the chainwheel on the Agattu?

On my Giant I actually find myself a bit undergeared even with the 16T and I never use first gear. However SW London is hardly hilly.
I also found the Lafree undergeared, like all Panasonic unit bikes it's to keep the assist limit down to 15 mph.

The Agattu uses a 41 tooth chainwheel and 22 tooth rear sprocket on the 7 speed hub, though like the Pro Connect, it may use a 23 tooth rear sprocket on the 8 speed hub, both to keep the assist limit low enough.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London

I think 16T is a bit steep for the agattu but then I only have experience of the 7 Speed Nexus. I swapped to the 18T and that gave adequate gearing for all my rides.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
16T does sound a bit extreme then! I will try it and see. By the way is there a tool or clever technique to use to avoid stabbing myself with a screwdriver when removing the spring clip holding the sprocket on? Circlip tools do not seem to help here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only courage! Those circlips are difficult things to remove.

The range can be very short with a 16 tooth rear sprocket on the Kalkhoffs with power assist carrying on to over 20 mph. One member reports 18 miles on a new fully charged battery.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I just calculated that a 16T sprocket would give me a top gear size of about 116"! We are into serious racing bike territory here. My current Giant, adapted to the Nexus 8, with a 16T has a top gear size of 97". An 18T would bring the Agattu down to a more sensible 103", which is what I will probably end up with.

Just for fun though I will try the bike with a 16T and high power assistance on.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Only courage! Those circlips are difficult things to remove.

The range can be very short with a 16 tooth rear sprocket on the Kalkhoffs with power assist carrying on to over 20 mph. One member reports 18 miles on a new fully charged battery.
flecc: that range is VERY low. even with a 500watt DD Bionx on level 2-3-4 assist out of 5 in reasonably hilly terrain I can get 20miles. interesting