Kalkhoff Batteries

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Tillson, I'm bound to agree with you that, certainly over the last couple of years while I've being paying attention, Shell diesel has consistently been significantly cheaper than BP and the rest. On many occasions, my local Shell station has been cheaper than Tesco, even with their periodic 5p per litre discount offer.

Earlier today, I checked with that cheap fuel website and within 20 miles of my postcode, the best price for diesel was 132.9p, a saving against the dearest of....(I still can't believe this!)... 18p per litre. Quite incredible!

What I find staggering is the fact that there is a gulf in price even between same-brand stations across a single county. I'm thinking Herts here and I feel sorry for those who live at the east and north of the county who pay considerably more than those around Watford where much keener pricing seems to be the norm.

It was only recently I discovered that some stations actually alter their prices between daytime and night. Some also offer a cheaper rate at weekends so I'll choose carefully who gets my business.

Indalo

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I probably didn't make it clear. It's the fact that they are buying it from a BP filling station. It's 7p a litre cheaper at the Shell garage 3 miles away. BP generally seem to be the most expensive.
Yes, I misunderstood, sorry.

I can't help thinking that pricing by the litre disguises what's going on because we buy in litres but still mark economy by the gallon.

After all, 7p per litre more is 32p per gallon and 18p is 82p difference!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Petrol station margins on prices are miniscule and their prices closely reflect the costs to them. They really have to juggle the prices to be sure of staying in business and that's why the small stations have mostly closed down, survival is only possible with large quantity sales. Higher night prices when rival stations are closed is one way of covering selling at only break-even prices during the highly competitive day, and of course the night attendant gets paid more than the daytime one.

My prices in the North Surrey/South London area are noticeably higher than those near the Fawley (Southampton) refinery for example, as I see when I fill up in my brother's home area. In the remoter areas of Scotland and in the Scottish Isles the high prices would really shock you. They must get upset considering much of the crude oil is being extracted in that area!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I know that the retailers only make a small margin, but the fact remains that there can be a massive price differential between two filling stations which are only a couple of miles apart. This must be down to the oil company, British Pirates being the worst offender. It makes me wonder why people fill up and pay 7p litre, more in some cases, extra when by travelling just a very short distance they could avoid the premium. Even more strangely, these people whine when the government sticks an extra few pence on per litre. They really don't do anything to help themselves.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know that the retailers only make a small margin, but the fact remains that there can be a massive price differential between two filling stations which are only a couple of miles apart. This must be down to the oil company, British Pirates being the worst offender.
Yes, I'm not disagreeing with this point. The BP reason is obvious of course, they are billions out of pocket after the Mexican Gulf oil rig disaster and it's hugely expensive clean-up which continues still and will do for years. They've had to promise to foot the whole bill and are looking for the cash to do that. Of course the shareholders should pay, but they rarely ever do.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
A couple of weeks ago I was filling up in Edinburgh at 129.9p at litre. Last week locally (in N London) it was 139.9p a litre. It did seem to be cheaper up north but rather than move I think I will go down the biodiesel route at 119.9p - after all it is only recycled chip fat.

I think my battery will stagger on 'till it is 24 months old - it show 80% now so maybe I will get replacement under warranty before then. I have done 2000 miles so far so I assume 7p a mile over 4 years (Plus 11p in depreciation and running cost). Of course I can compare that to our "cheap" public transport which works out to be between 40p and 50p per mile. Sorry a bit off topic now...