Kalkhoff Connect - first puncture

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
bump, - can anybody help with this, as I've emailed and called 50cycles twice, once yesterday and once today, but they appear to be a bit busy.

I really want to go and try and get a tyre at lunchtime

cheers

Mat
I sent this to 50Cycles but still they haven't even had the courtesy to acknowledge the email never mind answer it;-

19 Jul (8 days ago)
"I received my order and have fitted all the parts, but I noticed a big difference between the old large drive sprocket teeth (pedal end) and the new one. They are a different shape! Is that new shape of teeth OK as I am getting some noise especially on the downward stroke of the left pedal and I am now wondering if that is the wrong chain sprocket."

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
right then, it's around 630mm from edge of the rim diameter, so looks like I do have a 28" wheel !

so, a 700 will fit, but what about the second number. Sorry for being bike bonk brain at this, and thanks for your help

cheers

Mat
I have no idea what the original tyre was but as long as you get another that is roughly the same thickness it should fit, 622x38 is middle of the road and probably what you have.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I have no idea what the original tyre was but as long as you get another that is roughly the same thickness it should fit, 622x38 is middle of the road and probably what you have.
cheers, I think the 700x32 I had stored on my Iphone was for my old bike, as 32 seems far too slim for the pedelec, and looking at the first post on this thread when I was after an inner tube

as for 50cycles, not sure whether they are busy because of a show or whatever, but it doesn't take a minute to answer an email or acknowledge a call.

Maybe they have other issues ?

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
as for 50cycles, not sure whether they are busy because of a show or whatever, but it doesn't take a minute to answer an email or acknowledge a call.

Maybe they have other issues ?[/QUOTE]

Ive read similar posts before that is why i would never deal with them they do not give me great confidence in there after sales.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hello, workshop have been busy prepping a large bulk order of bikes, being delivered today. No excuse for not acknowledging an email - maybe it dropped into a spam folder, I will log in and have a look for you.
Cheers,
Tim

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ive read similar posts before that is why i would never deal with them they do not give me great confidence in there after sales.
I hold no brief for them but I think that that remark is a little unwarranted.

There's nothing wrong with their after sales. They are not a large combine and so presumably can get very busy but they are helpful and, in my experience, reply to emails in reasonable time.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
Hello, workshop have been busy prepping a large bulk order of bikes, being delivered today. No excuse for not acknowledging an email - maybe it dropped into a spam folder, I will log in and have a look for you.
Cheers,
Tim
Hi Tim, thought it was just because you were over busy. If you can just tell me what tyre size - a link to wiggle or similar would be even better, I should be getting for my Medium Kalkhoff pro connect,purchased in December 2008.

cheers

Mat

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I sent this to 50Cycles but still they haven't even had the courtesy to acknowledge the email never mind answer it;-

19 Jul (8 days ago)
"I received my order and have fitted all the parts, but I noticed a big difference between the old large drive sprocket teeth (pedal end) and the new one. They are a different shape! Is that new shape of teeth OK as I am getting some noise especially on the downward stroke of the left pedal and I am now wondering if that is the wrong chain sprocket."
I cannot find this email, sorry. Could you send again to workshop@50cycles.com please - Jim's back in tomorrow and should be able to explain the difference. It's to do with fixed-length chain for hub gears vs. variable length chain for derailleurs I think...

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Tim, thought it was just because you were over busy. If you can just tell me what tyre size - a link to wiggle or similar would be even better, I should be getting for my Medium Kalkhoff pro connect,purchased in December 2008.

cheers

Mat
OK, marked on the 2008 Pro Connect parked outside, fitted with Schwalbe Marathons, it reads:

400-622 / 28" x 1.5 / 700x 38c

Does that help?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
thanks for that, is that tyre on a medium frame ?
It's an L, but M and L have the same size wheels. In fact all the Pro Connects except the 45cm Step-thru have the same size wheels.

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
Just to confuse things a little more, I noticed the other day at Rutland Water that the Raleigh Dover Deluxe with a StepThru frame is a small 45 cm bike, yet has 700c wheels.

So small frames with the larger wheels must exist at Derby Cycles making it important to verify the spec where wheel size is important.

James
Hi,
I bought a Raleigh Dover Deluxe 3 weeks ago - small stepthru (45cm) frame with big (28") wheels. Great bike!

Last edited:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
just one thing to mention, although I went and bought a 700*38 tyre, I chose one on wiggle which had puncture protection. Unfortunately the tyre wall is slightly higher than the tyre the kalkhoff comes with, and therefore I've had to remove the mud guard.

So I might now have a decent grip/less holey tyre, but I'm going to get a wet a**e once Summer disappears :)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Hello forum members
i need some advice please i am in the process of changing the tyres on my pro connect have done the front wheel ok:D i would like to remove the rear wheel from the bike i think this would mean i would need to disconnect the gear cable:D if so does this mean i would have to reset the gears.:D many thanx nigel. PS i am fitting marathon plus tyres.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hello forum members
i need some advice please i am in the process of changing the tyres on my pro connect have done the front wheel ok:D i would like to remove the rear wheel from the bike i think this would mean i would need to disconnect the gear cable:D if so does this mean i would have to reset the gears.:D many thanx nigel. PS i am fitting marathon plus tyres.
Some handy videos here - the fifth one is the most relevant for the task in hand

50cycles Advanced Electric Bike Workshop Videos