Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
given the lack of distance what is the point of these 300WH 350W S class bikes? they are in a legal grey area,it appears they aren't much use for more than a sprint to the shops and ( except perhaps in the case of this "under fuelled" example) are quite costly Still if someone was looking to customise this could be start. thanks for the breakdown it helps when trying to compare like with apparent like in what is a relatively complex field.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
given the lack of distance what is the point of these 300WH 350W S class bikes? they are in a legal grey area,it appears they aren't much use for more than a sprint to the shops and ( except perhaps in the case of this "under fuelled" example) are quite costly Still if someone was looking to customise this could be start. thanks for the breakdown it helps when trying to compare like with apparent like in what is a relatively complex field.
I expect that the range is greater than 10 miles, but having never owned one, I wouldn't like to predict what the figure might be. You don't have to run them at the highest power setting all of the time, so it would help extend the range if you could manage at a more conventional power level.

As far as legality is concerned, there is no grey area, they are ilegal to use anywhere in the UK except on private land and that land must not allow public access. This is a concern to some people and they choose not to buy such a bike. Others are not so concerned and are quite comfortable using them on roads.

I think you would find the Endeavour BS10 a very practical, well built bike bike which is nice to own. But the S class and decision whether to use one on a road is yours.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
given the lack of distance what is the point of these 300WH 350W S class bikes?
I don't think there is one, the battery is just too small to get any meaningful use out of the performance.

From memory, when Bosch introduced the 350W drive, the smaller battery was the only one available.

As Alex said earlier, you could sprint maybe 10 or 15 miles on the smaller battery, but I doubt that would be much of an attraction to most users.

Even the bigger battery would be a bit limited on 350W bike used to its potential.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Good question. In Germany where they are legal and registerable I guess they'd be attractive to people wanting fast predominantly single-purpose shortish distance commuting bikes for use on the roads (the only place they're allowed to be ridden anyway). Seeing as many people with a fixed place of work can likely recharge batteries at work before riding home. Probably also helps explain the willingness/ability to pay too - at least in part anyway.

Also probably why I'd bet the London market is strong for them ... workers with decent regular incomes wanting to use 'em in cities and saving them a fortune in public transport or parking costs over relatively few miles. Congestion / lights etc. would see to it they can't ride the bikes full-on at high speed for the whole journey so many would get away with it from a considerable radius on a 1-way clock.

Moving outside this bracket to people outside urban areas, not using for work commuting, range is often a much bigger consideration - as is opportunity to sustain higher assisted speeds continuously over longer distances. For use in these conditions, where arguably the bikes come into their own, those 288Wh bikes really do demonstrate their basic limitations.

It's true that dropping a few mph off assisted speed can have a significant impact on extending range and also using slightly more moderate assist levels on relatively easy stretches. But still .... it does seem very much like running a sports car with the fuel tank of a Fiat Punto !

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
^^ Haha ... I was thinking more of this actually ! :p

Yes, a lot of the cost was some niceties like built-in lighting and GPS chargers etc, which to me do add a great deal to the bike actually - but £50 is too much of an underestimate for most people not following that precise stripped down setup or without discounting the cost of tools and stock consumables necessary to build their own racks, do their own soldering and the like. Not that many people who don't build e-Bikes regularly would be able to pull it off for that imho.

You can easily add in quite a bit at Wickes/B&Q, Maplins or online suppliers otherwise. Also if your bike needs mechanical mods to be more appropriate for an eBike that's more ... it's got its downsides on cost/replacement/capacity but having the moulded in-frame battery on a Neo is a big attraction in principle (to some of us anyway).
What the f happened to your battery bag Alex, I didnt even think you ran on lipo? Still, hope you're okay, and may the Lord have mercy on all of us!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
What the f happened to your battery bag Alex, I didnt even think you ran on lipo? Still, hope you're okay, and may the Lord have mercy on all of us!
I don't run lipo, hech - so in that sense the lord hath already had mercy on you all ;)

It was bilabonic who suffered a slight mishap - it's all on his thread.

terrybridge

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2009
I had a pro connect for 3 years from 2009 - 2012 which is why I purchased a new Kalkhoff

I have an Endeavour BS10 400w. I've had it since Christmas. I do and 55 miles per day.

Before I got the bike I paid £65.00 per week getting to work, now it’s nothing. To date I've saved near £1000 I reckon by next Feb 2015 The bike will have paid for itself.

The BS10 is an expensive bike, but my last none electric bike was a Specialize it cost me £800; just in build quality the Kalkhoff is so much better.

I could go on but my BS10 is amazing and more important than anything, my fitness has improved 5 fold. I can now run 5 miles no problem.

Reactions: rippedupno1

mooroo

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2014
Good question. In Germany where they are legal and registerable I guess they'd be attractive to people wanting fast predominantly single-purpose shortish distance commuting bikes for use on the roads (the only place they're allowed to be ridden anyway). ...
Actually it's not true that you can only ride them on roads in Germany. According to the Kalkhoff manual:
http://manuals.derby-cycle.com/manualcheck.php?L=en&B=kalkhoff&Y=2011

If you are not using the motor you can ride them (Fast pedelecs) on all cycle paths without restriction.

Otherwise in Germany if you are outside a built up area - "You must use your fast Pedelec on cycle paths outside built up areas, as is the case with mopeds. In exceptional cases where this is not permitted the cycle path will also be marked with the sign 'No mopeds.'"

However, inside built up areas, one is only allowed only use it (with motor assist) on cycle paths if the cycle path is marked accordingly.

Actually fairly good codification of common sense into law...

Also only a bicycle helmet is required.

On some crowded cycle paths where I live (not Germany) there is a speed limit (15mph) which applies to all bikes whether electric or not which actually makes the most sense, since if it is dangerous for an electric-assist bicycle to go above that speed it is equally dangerous for a non assisted bicycle to go above that speed.