Kalkhoff / Panasonic NUA009L4 (mid-engine) service manual?

Transistor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2012
Bike: Kalkhoff Agattu, 2009.
Motor: Panasonic NUA009L4 (mid-engine)

Problems:
  • Play on the pedal crank.
  • Severe play on the motor drive shaft.
  • Reduced mechanical power output.
I'd like to purchase some bearings to refurbish the motor unit and have them ready before I take it apart. Does anyone know if the service manual is available?

Can anyone suggest why the bike feels heavy and sluggish?
It's as though either the torque sensor is not recording my effort or the motor is loosing power due to wear, etc. The motor is working but doesn't seem as good as it used to be (although I'm not as young as I used to be either). One possibility is that the play in the cranks may be changing the clearance to the torque sensor. Would that be possible?

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bike: Kalkhoff Agattu, 2009.
Motor: Panasonic NUA009L4 (mid-engine)

Problems:
  • Play on the pedal crank.
  • Severe play on the motor drive shaft.
  • Reduced mechanical power output.
I'd like to purchase some bearings to refurbish the motor unit and have them ready before I take it apart. Does anyone know if the service manual is available?

Can anyone suggest why the bike feels heavy and sluggish?
It's as though either the torque sensor is not recording my effort or the motor is loosing power due to wear, etc. The motor is working but doesn't seem as good as it used to be (although I'm not as young as I used to be either). One possibility is that the play in the cranks may be changing the clearance to the torque sensor. Would that be possible?

Any ideas? Many thanks.
There is no service manual since Panasonic supply no spares and have a policy of repair by replacement of the whole unit.

You can replace the bearings since they are almost all standard items with part numbers on them and available from bearings suppliers.

There's no possibility that clearance is the torque sensor problem since it works on a very different principle from most. It may be that the unit has defaulted to the Eco power mode, something that happened on the series one units at times, but that is unrepairable.

You can get a lot of information from my Panasonic support site. Yours is the new type unit, but if you look at the information for the old type unit, much will apply and the torque sensor and motor are identical. I've described how it works on that Unit Information and Repairs page, so read though that.

You'll also need to refer to the new unit pages since the rest as in yours is very different, especially the gears.

Panasonic Support Site Link

Last edited:

Transistor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2012
Thank you very much for the reply and the link to your useful site.

I welded up some rafter hang brackets for the bike so that the drive components were at chest height and this has made servicing much more comfortable. I dropped out the motor and disconnected it completely. I tried to open it up to measure up the bearings but I sheared one of the screw heads off with the spanner so I stopped! I also took the four screws off the motor but then realised that it needs to be disconnected from the other side so I put that back too.

The good news is that I have reinstalled everything on the bike and it is working correctly. The torque and the high speed is back.

If anyone is interested, I'm using a 41-tooth ring (original size), an 18-tooth sprocket (down from 21, if I remember correctly) and an 11-tooth drive sprocket (original size) on the NUA009L4 motor giving me about 30 kph top speed.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad to learn it's running ok again. It was probably a faulty connection which you've disturbeed back to good connectivity. That's why I mention making and remaking connections in my online advice since that is a common problem.