Kalkhoff Pro Connect Disassembly pointer for someone who knows nowt?

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Hello, as you see I've got myself in a bit of a tangle.

I believe to free my chain up I need to remove the 6mm bolt I've marked with a red dot, but it shows no sign of loosening after a good dozen half turns.

This leads me to suspect that I need to hold in place whatever is the other side of that bolt, but that's protected by a mighty shield of plastic, which is fairly close to the battery terminals.

I'm torn between pressing on with removing the bolt, which may involve removing more components or applying a touch of force to the chain to free it from it's current trapped position.

Any views most welcome. My last hardcore bike maintenance was Raleigh Grifter circa 1980 ;)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Have you tried to leverage the chainwheel to see if that will free the chain?

Looking at your photograph, I would try a substantial screwdriver or similar. You might be able to make use of that marked bolt to make the leverage?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I agree with the above two posts, with a bit of fineness, you should be able to gently tease the chain out.

You might need to sort that bolt out too. If you have turned it six times, something will have loosened off somewhere. It's hard to tell from the picture exactly what it is. I'm thinking it could be the chain guide pivot bolt.

Just out of interest, is that a 12 tooth motor sprocket? I thought that they only came in either 9 or 11 flavour.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just out of interest, is that a 12 tooth motor sprocket? I thought that they only came in either 9 or 11 flavour.
Some while ago member jac (Jim) posted an ebay link to a 12 tooth sprocket made by someone in Germany and
a few bought one. That old link is dead now, but an ebay search for the 12 tooth might reveal it.

C

Cyclezee

Hello, as you see I've got myself in a bit of a tangle.

I believe to free my chain up I need to remove the 6mm bolt I've marked with a red dot, but it shows no sign of loosening after a good dozen half turns.

This leads me to suspect that I need to hold in place whatever is the other side of that bolt, but that's protected by a mighty shield of plastic, which is fairly close to the battery terminals.

I'm torn between pressing on with removing the bolt, which may involve removing more components or applying a touch of force to the chain to free it from it's current trapped position.

Any views most welcome. My last hardcore bike maintenance was Raleigh Grifter circa 1980 ;)

If you can't free the chain by rotating the crank and tugging the chain, remove the chainwheel just enough to free the chain. You will need an chainwheel extractor for this.

J:) hn

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Agree with Aldby. Good excuse to get a new tool, a crank extractor, which is a must for every cyclist's tool box :)

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Thanks very much all.

Stage 1 is complete, a bit of turning and screw driver manipulation freed the chain. No need for new tools (yet!), as I live in a village with 3 pubs, a post office and a shop, so chainwheel extractor may have taken a few days to acquire.

And you're right tillson, it certainly has 12 teeth, but is that because it's an S? Certainly all I've done since it came from 50 cycles is add salt, mud, chain wax and tears ;)

Now Stage 2, put the couple of bits I removed back on :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
And you're right tillson, it certainly has 12 teeth, but is that because it's an S? Certainly all I've done since it came from 50 cycles is add salt, mud, chain wax and tears ;))
Yes, the S would explain why it doesn't have a 9 tooth sprocket, but I thought that the S came with an 11 tooth as standard. 50C certainly sell the 11 tooth as a spare, but no 12 tooth. A bit baffling that one.

Some while ago member jac (Jim) posted an ebay link to a 12 tooth sprocket made by someone in Germany and
a few bought one. That old link is dead now, but an ebay search for the 12 tooth might reveal it.
I couldn't find that link again, but whilst searching Ebay, it appears that things have become a bit more extreme! This seller is supplying 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14 tooth motor sprockets.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Mine seems to have a 12 tooth as well....

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That must be the standard for the S then NRG. I don't know why, but I thought it was fitted with an 11 tooth motor sprocket.

I wonder what the 14 tooth sprocket off ebay would lift the max assist speed up to. I'll work it out when I can find time.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I find the 12 too much, think I'll try an 11 to slow things down and maybe improve range a touch...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I couldn't find that link again, but whilst searching Ebay, it appears that things have become a bit more extreme! This seller is supplying 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14 tooth motor sprockets.
I think that's the same one, now offering a range of German made ones.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Might be due to the gearing choice.

The S series with one of the wide range gearings like the Rohloff or SRAM DualDrive using an 11 tooth sprocket
can power to around 25 mph/40 kph. I don't think 50cycles stock these wide range models now.

When using a narrower range gearset like the 9 speed Shimano, a 12 tooth will help to make up for the smaller
gear range, so that might be the reason.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Thanks all for some very useful info.

It's also prompted me to read more about the (apparently contentious and oft discussed) subject of chain lubrication. I'll certainly be (a bit) more attentive to mine now ;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I've fitted a 11 tooth motor sprocket...there's not a whole lot in it vs the 12 when in a higher gear / high assist, phase down starts a little sooner as you would expect but top speed is....cough....still sprightly shall we say.

It's in the lower gears and low assist where I've noticed the power rolls off sooner, just enough I hope to get a bit more range out of the battery without slowing me down noticeably ;)