Kalkhoff s27 vs s10

robinnj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2010
Hi, I am new to electric cycles and could do with some advice.
I am thinking of buying a proconnect 2011 model and I am unsure which would be more suitable for me.
I have test ridden the S9 2010 model and found that in top gear I was pedalling very fast to get a good speed. I am 63 years old and was hoping to get the higher speed without having my legs spinning at a fast rate.
I wondered if anyone could give me advice on the pro's and con's of the SRAM dual drive 27 vs the Shimano XT 10.
Thanks in advance
Norman

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Norman, the reason for the fast pedalling rate is low gearing so that the bike complies with the 15 mph assist limit law.

Changing the gearing solves that problem, but it's not easy to get much change on a normal derailleur since there's a limit to how small the cassette's top gear sprocket can be commensurate with a sensibly low wear rate.

The SRAM DualDrive is a complete and very good solution, raising the top assist speed to about 26 mph and therefore reducing your cadence (pedal spin rate) by about 20% for a given speed.

robinnj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2010
Hi flecc,
Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. It looks like I may go for the S27 then, even though it is more expensive.