Kalkhoff Sahel Compact Impulse 8?????

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Most of the frames are manufactured in Tianjin,Shimano is 100% Chinese , the latest batteries from Samsung appear equal to the quality of Bosch batteries - the Samsung semi integral batteries on my Stealth,Alamo and Sprint models and the rack batteries on the Verona and Milano are very high quality,it is my intention to use these batteries on all future Kudos models,the Bafang motors are so reliable and the BPM model very powerful hill climber.
The Chinese parts bin gets ever better quality and more varied to suit many bike styles.
The big difference between Chinese and German bikes is the quality control on assembly,my latest batch of bikes seems to come from a Chinese supplier who controls assembly quality.
Post Brexit with a free trade deal from China,Dover will become the smuggling capital of the world.
KudosDave

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I called in at Bikeseven in Longtown on Friday on the way to Peebles in the campervan. They had on show an Orbea Katu-E 20 LR which I was able to take for a ride. Having never ridden an e-bike before I was amazed! It really took off when I applied power to the pedals and I had a broad grin on my face when I got back - absolutely fantastic! The 20" wheels are certainly not an issue either. This just confirmed that a compact e-bike will fit the bill and give me what I want.

So, I am thinking of a 2017 model Orbea Katu-E 10 LR which has 8 speed gears and the Bosch Performance Line motor unit with 500ah battery pack

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/katu-e-10-lr

Any comments - or am I sorted??

Many Thanks

Kendalian
You can't go wrong with Bosch, it is well supported. Every other component on bike can be fixed/replaced/upgraded by any local bike shop. If frame works for you buy it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can't go wrong with Bosch, it is well supported. Every other component on bike can be fixed/replaced/upgraded by any local bike shop. If frame works for you buy it.
You have never owned a Bosch washing machine... :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I've owned/own lots of Bosch power tools and they are always good quality and up to the job. They also make a lot of reliable car electrical components!

Kendalian

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I like those! I see quite a few when I am in S. Sebastian, I think you will enjoy it.

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I've always found Bosch white goods and power tools to be good quality and reliable - means you often can't justify replacing them for a more up to date model. I have a 35 year old router and 27 year old planer, circular saw and sander all going strong. If the Bosch e-bike components last as long I will be 6' under!

Cheers

Kendalian

Reactions: Croxden

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Hello Kendalian,

I have been looking at the Orbea Katu E 10 LR 2017 - Electric Bike for a while now.

Link: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Katu-E-10-LR-2017-Electric-Bike_95515.htm

I understand you have purchased the E20 version.

May I ask if you have any comments on the reliability, performance of the bike/tyre/battery etc.

I am looking to use it for my daily commute 14 miles each way and worried if it might hold to that kind of treatment on London roads. Comfort probably comes close second to reliability as I don't want to get too sweaty and worked up on my morning commute.

Thanks,

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Hi there - welcome to the forum!

Yes I have got the E20 version which has the Bosch Active line motor and 400whr battery. I have only done 100 miles with it as yet but very pleased with it so far. Too early to judge reliability but i'm not expecting serious problems with the Bosch system. The Kenda tyres seem good and do give a degree of suspension - minor roads up here are pretty bad in places, they also tend to be a bit hilly! The bike performs well, 20" wheels are not a problem - feels like a full sized bike to me (I had test ridden one prior to purchase) and is solidly built. I like the idea of the hub gears - derailleurs can certainly be a pain to set up and maintain at times.

On the up and down roads I have to contend with around here I did need to get used to the technique of changing gears and adjusting power level to get the best out of it. I have done 24 miles on one ride - would have gone to 30-35 miles I think (I am 62, 5'6" and 80kg). If you are doing a 28 mile round trip commute then the E10 sounds the better option with the 500whr battery - no need for a charge during the day.

To sum up I am totally happy with the bike so far, you need to find one and take it for a ride to see if it suits your needs.

Cheers

Kendalian

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Hi there - welcome to the forum!

Yes I have got the E20 version which has the Bosch Active line motor and 400whr battery. I have only done 100 miles with it as yet but very pleased with it so far. Too early to judge reliability but i'm not expecting serious problems with the Bosch system. The Kenda tyres seem good and do give a degree of suspension - minor roads up here are pretty bad in places, they also tend to be a bit hilly! The bike performs well, 20" wheels are not a problem - feels like a full sized bike to me (I had test ridden one prior to purchase) and is solidly built. I like the idea of the hub gears - derailleurs can certainly be a pain to set up and maintain at times.

On the up and down roads I have to contend with around here I did need to get used to the technique of changing gears and adjusting power level to get the best out of it. I have done 24 miles on one ride - would have gone to 30-35 miles I think (I am 62, 5'6" and 80kg). If you are doing a 28 mile round trip commute then the E10 sounds the better option with the 500whr battery - no need for a charge during the day.

To sum up I am totally happy with the bike so far, you need to find one and take it for a ride to see if it suits your needs.

Cheers

Kendalian
That is a fantastic write up. Thank you Kendalian!

I haven't personally experienced the Bosch motors yet and was a bit sceptical about small wheels for longer frequent trips.

I will give it a go tomorrow.

Thank you!

Lezlee

Just Joined
May 27, 2017
Exeter
After having looked at many folding ebikes, whoosh, Roo dog, Volt, A2B, Wisper, Tern, Stow eWay, I came to realise that a Bosch or German made ebikes as going to be reliable. But I live in Exeter which is very hilly and after trying the Kalkhoff Sahel i8 with am impulse 2 motor I thought I'd found the answer....
....until I read several reviews of the Sahel which noted that the motor had serious faults. Several different reviews mentioned it but one guy had tried two or three motors which all failed. Apparently it develops pawls which cannot be remedied.

D

Deleted member 4366

After having looked at many folding ebikes, whoosh, Roo dog, Volt, A2B, Wisper, Tern, Stow eWay, I came to realise that a Bosch or German made ebikes as going to be reliable.
I'm not sure what you're saying there, but there's absolutely no evidence that German bikes are more reliable than any others. In fact, if anything, it's the other way round. Bosch can also give problems. Redalexx has been collecting data on motor failures. It shows that the Chinese hub-motors are now the most reliable; however, it looks like battery problems and other faults are not included, but having said that, Chinese bikes are dead easy to sort out if you get any problems.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/pedelecmonitor-mileage-and-repairs-statistics.26204/page-2#post-422535

If you can't fix anything yourself, then you're stuck with buying only from a local dealer, so you have to buy whatever he/she has. There's no point in travelling or getting mail order because sooner or later something will need to be fixed.