kalkhoff shimano 7 or 8 speed

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
some sources quote varying reports of reliability of the nexus 7 but in terms of the greater stresses the panasonic system will place on the hub does one hub have the advantage over the other do you think in terms of long term reliability?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I doubt there's much in it it Joe.

I know of a couple of failures on the new 8 speed shortly after it's introduction, while the 7 speed has been around for years giving good service to most. It's true with hub gears that the rider is the greatest influence on reliability. Being just a bit patient and pausing momentarily when changing is always best, especially on the Panasonic unit where, as you say, there's more power applied at times.

The fully engaged gears don't usually suffer failure, that's more commonly caused by tooth edge chipping caused by snatched and impatient changes with power applied. Then it's just a matter of time before a chip of the flaked off metal gets between two gear wheels with disastrous effect.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
i suppose as you say like most things its how they are treated that makes the difference. i read a review somewhere on the net that favoured the 7 speed hub in terms of it being a more balanced hub with more favourably stepped changes. whilst the 8 speed hub that a2b considers a better hub does not have such even changes and a 7 gear that is similiar to the 8 gear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's perfectly true Joe, the close spacing of the extra gear makes it a bit pointless in my view. Trouble is they felt the need once Sunrace-Sturmey launched their 8 speed model, just silly competition really to suit the marketplace, hence the even dafter 9 speed hubs now arriving. Hopefully they'll stop now.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
From what I've read both systems are very robust - with some mountain bikers fitting the 8 speed (Not recomended by shimano) with no adverse results.

It might come down to the type of shifter you prefer - The 8 speed being available with either a twist or trigger shifter and the 7 speed only available with twist shift (I think)

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
When I was a kid, I use to break chains (popping wheelies). And so, I maybe shouldn't be suprised this Lafree's chain and hub gear are both working fine after 4 1/2 years, because it really does shift better if you pause (and don't pop wheelies ;) . Plus, I think, there's not that much stress as long as power is continuous and no sudden shocks.

I suppose if you have a defective one up front it might break down much earlier.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
so a key thing that is coming through here is to remember to make gear changes smoothly with momentary pause. you can certainly imagine how some people may be much harsher with the hubs and perhaps never get the hub checked from time to time to ensure water isnt getting in and grease out.