Kalkhoff/sram

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
I see from the kalkhoff site that they do use the odd sram hub including the i motion 9gear. I think the sram hubs are known for being easier to connect/disconnect re wheel removal and the latest i motion are simply a lift up and out wire job from behind a sliding cover.

If the i motion hub is successful what chance do you think it will appear in the electric bikes? What do you think of sram versus shimano in this context?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been a firm fan of SRAM hubs for years. They are tough, very reliable, and as you say, the cabling arrangement on the latest 9 speed is much better then Shimano's. Gear ratios are too.

But their gear changes have never been as slick as Shimano's, and they are best in the hands of someone who appreciates how hub gears are best used.

They are more expensive, often much more so, and I suspect the i-motion could only appear in a high end version, given the very high price. A Kalkhoff Pro-Connect with the i-motion would be a great bike for an experienced rider to own.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
Yes nearly all reports put the shimano over the sram hubs in terms of smoothness. Though a fair few of the shimano hubs have failed i am sure by over enthusiastic use, ie: no pauses between gear changes. And there was a seal problem on early versions of the 7 and 8 judging by various reports.
As for taking the wheel off, i guess if you have your best choice tyre on at purchase you shouldnt need the wheel off until replacement. Just change the tube with wheel in situ.

Maybe kalkhoff will put the i motion in something like the tasman next year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe kalkhoff will put the i motion in something like the tasman next year.
If I did buy the Pro Connect or Tasman, I'd fit an i-motion straight away anyway. When bought my Lafree years back, first thing I did was scrap the Nexus 3 and fit an SRAM P5.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
I think careful reading of the various sources of information on hub systems does point to longer term reliability of the sram hubs. I wouldnt have the funds to go for an immediate change of hub but i would certainly be patient with my gear changes and get the seals looked at once a year.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
My local Aldi has a horrible step-thru bike on offer with 7-speed and dynamo SRAM hubs. Price equivalent to £195.

Maybe worth buying just for the hubs?