Kalkoff s10 life out of a chain

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi

i'am looking to sell my BH Neo Cross in the spring time because it chews through chains really fast i am lucky to get 100 miles out of a chain really.I was wondering how miles do people on the kalkoff range get before they have to change a chain on there bike

any information and i would be grateful

Regards

Paul

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Your Neo Cross is chewing through chains? Something is not set up right then, as the bike is a hub drive so shouldn't be placing any more stress on the chain than a normal pedal bike (my road bike has done over 6k miles on the original chain). If suggest you sort out whatever the problem is rather than go to the expense of changing the bike. You should get more chain mileage on your BH than on a Kalkhoff because they are mid drive so the electric motor is stressing the chain and drivetrain.

Michael

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i have had it in the bike shop and they have said to me that there is no problem with the bike at all that the style of bike and there is nothing i can do about it at all but change the chain when it needs to be done.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Hi

i'am looking to sell my BH Neo Cross in the spring time because it chews through chains really fast i am lucky to get 100 miles out of a chain really.I was wondering how miles do people on the kalkoff range get before they have to change a chain on there bike

Regards

Paul
100 miles? Is that a typo? You should get many thousands of miles from a chain on hub geared bike, that just doesn't seem right!
Kalkhoff state a service life of 2000 kilometres for the pro connect 10 with deraileur. Not had mine long enough to confirm that Im on about 700miles so far.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Further to last. Yours is hub geared bike I believe? As Michael says you should get a good chain life. What are the symptoms of the chain failure? Has the shop changed the rear cassette block as well as the chains? The two wear together and it's often the case that a new chain won't run smoothly and change smoothly on a worn block.
Confirming and agreeing with Michale here, a crank drive will eat chains quicker than a hub drive as its doing more work. Look at what is causing the problem rather than a new bike. A workshop may be needed!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My bbs cd has now covered over 500 miles chain is still perfect, so your problem is either a bad / misaligned rear sprocket or front chain set OR are you using the correct type of chains for your set up.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I concur the BH should not eat chains at all?
Chain is normally worn buy dust/grit in the joints carried in on lubricant.
Or excess force on the chain.
A new chain is prelubricated and should need no attention for 100's of miles other than wipe clean. Then if wet use oils or dry conditions use wax lube.
I have done over 2,000 miles in my bent and the chain is still fine?
I did many miles on my BH,s and didn't need to replace and they were CD drive.
Put a new chain on and get a chain gauge. (You are using the right gauge of the size of chain?)

d8ve

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
My Bh neo cross is rear motor driven i am using a park tool c3 chain checker which i bought from amazon a few months ago you cannot really go wrong with the chain checker soon as i hit 0:75 i take the chain off and make sure i get another one fitted straight away.i'am lucky to get 100 miles out of a chain i ride on sport all the time which is 2 and half pedal turn to one of my pedal turns. i do put some lub on when i have been out in the rain.i do check it about once a week.My shop use the same gauge tool that i am using and they have said to me on the phone that my chain tool is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it and they have said to me that the chain is wearing out and it should be replaced.i have used 3 chains on this cassette and the last one i think worn a little quicker so i thought it was about time i had it changed.The bike shop have checked the bike fully over and they have said to me everything is in perfect order and there is nothing wrong with the bike at all so i don't know what more i can say. At the end of the day i am only just going by the chain gauge when it says it time to pull the chain off then i take it off

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You aren't doing a good job of upping the sale value of your second hand BH when you come to sell though.
Mystified of Bristol

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
My Bh neo cross is rear motor driven i am using a park tool c3 chain checker which i bought from amazon a few months ago you cannot really go wrong with the chain checker soon as i hit 0:75 i take the chain off and make sure i get another one fitted straight away.i'am lucky to get 100 miles out of a chain i ride on sport all the time which is 2 and half pedal turn to one of my pedal turns. i do put some lub on when i have been out in the rain.i do check it about once a week.My shop use the same gauge tool that i am using and they have said to me on the phone that my chain tool is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it and they have said to me that the chain is wearing out and it should be replaced.i have used 3 chains on this cassette and the last one i think worn a little quicker so i thought it was about time i had it changed.The bike shop have checked the bike fully over and they have said to me everything is in perfect order and there is nothing wrong with the bike at all so i don't know what more i can say. At the end of the day i am only just going by the chain gauge when it says it time to pull the chain off then i take it off
I say unless you implicitly trust your LBS ,change the shop!
Seems as if there is something amiss with your drivetrain, when you ride does it sound like a bag of nails?,could you be measuring your chain wrong?
There is a simpler way to check your chain for wear, take it off, then hold it in both hands with the rollers facing you,then hold it horizontally in one hand, if the bend in the chain is more than quarter inch, then time for a new chain.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
i do put some lub on when i have been out in the rain.i do check it about once a week.
Would you be using something like wd40 thin stuff for lub?
I am sure that's what wore my chain out early.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
A few things here. Firstly, I ride 60 to 75 miles a week in all kinds of weather. I am on my second chain and the bike has almost 3,000 miles on it. I use GT85 only and lubricate every two or three weeks (when I check my tyre pressure). I clean it every two or three months.

Secondly, it is not unusual to see a chain, with the amount of wear you describe, working just fine. The point at which I would replace is when there was actual slippage under pressure in the last two gears (6th or 7th, 7th or 8th depending on your cassette or freewheel). At that time I would replace both chain an gear cluster. It is cheaper than replacing every 100 miles in the long run.

Thirdly, with a hub drive, there is not as much strain on a chain as the motor takes it away. With proper maintenance your chain should last for years.

Lastly, if you have a shop suggesting you replace a chain after 100 miles of use, it is not the bikes fault. Go to another shop.

I have a crank drive BH City 700 btw. It is much harder on a chain than your bike. Like the other posters said, it is silly to get rid of a bike for this reason. It will happen on your next bike as well if you follow your present guidlines.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't dream of using measurement, I just use chains and sprocket for several thousands of miles until their eventual death, which can be derailleur slippage, or with hub gears, noise through tooth hooking catching the chain.

Then I just change the lot for new, or in some cases with unpowered bikes when years have passed and other wears are apparent, I just buy another bike.

This way is ultimately cheaper and much less hassle.

D

Deleted member 4366

i am using a park tool c3 chain checker which i bought from amazon a few months ago you cannot really go wrong with the chain checker soon as i hit 0:75 i take the chain off and make sure i get another one fitted straight away.i'am lucky to get 100 miles out of a chain.
That's the reason then. Chuck that chain checker in the bin, then your chains and sprockets will last for many thousands of miles like ours.

Those checkers only work on the best chains, which you don't need on your bike. For other chains, there is always a bit of initial wear before they settle down. You didn't need to replace any of them[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tillson

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Hi

Regards

Paul
Crikey Paul even I get more miles than that and I am a medium heavy rider in a steep environment.

Paul check the wheel alignment. Check to see that the wheel is the same distance both sides from the chain stays top and bottom. If not you may need some adjustment of the drop-outs. LBS's are supposed to have gauges to true things up if thats your problem

Hope this helps

Linfitter

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
I did 1510 miles in 8 months on my KTM & the chain snapped. Shop told me this was about right with off-road use.
Doesn't seem much to me.