Keep quiet, don't tell my wife!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Searching in German
'ebike bosch probleme' 15.7 million hits
'ebike hub probleme' 26.7 million hits
(though the German for hub is Nabe, most of the hits are English even searching in German)

This is not the first thread to have been thus hijacked.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you want to be specific on google.de
search for 'bosch motoren e bike probleme' returns About 2,220,000 results
search for 'nabenmotor e-bike probleme' returns About 95,000 results
(search for 'nabenmotoren e-bike probleme' returns same results)

There are very few specific issues with the hub motors in view of their simplicity.

Before you should me down, I have absolutely no inclination to rubbish anyone.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Poolepete it looks as though your Wife will be appreciative of your nice Present . I did the same thing 10 years ago for my Wife`s 70th , she has always ridden Bicycles and Motor Scooters starting with a Honda 50 in 1964 . I bought her a Batribike Quartz SE Folder and had it delivered on the very day . A big mistake as I didn`t ask her first ! Well it was supposed to be a surprise . She refused to ever ride it and I have been riding it ever since and she still insists I bought it for myself . After 54 years I still don`t understand how the female mind works . Not wishing to be labelled a male chauvanist , perhaps she thinks the same about me !

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Interestingly about the same number of results as if you google "electric hub ebike problems"
IYou seem to think that is a problem, let me say, its not. You can open them up easily and repair most failues on hub motors.
Tell me how you handle a Bosch mid motor that is defective and the guarantee has long run out, and a defective rear hub where the guarantee has long run out? big BUCKS is the answer.....
The defective hub motor can be replaced, with or without a new wheel, from many different sources, from about about 140 UK pounds, including controller and LCD. See here:-
Just the wheel and motor come even cheaper....
For Bosch I could not find a complete unit, which is apparently required due to the number of different parts that may be worn or already broken. The complete unit needs to be shipped to Bosch for replacement, apparently. I could not find a price for that.
The hub wheel could usually be replaced by a reasonably competent biker, with a reasonable tool kit.
Using a tester (under 10 UK Pounds) on a defective hub motor, a biker should be able to identify broken Hall effect sensors, easily replaced, damaged wiring, easily repaired, open coil/field, usually where the wiring connects internally, test outputs of the controller to make sure that is not at fault too!
None of that is possible with Bosch units. Even the LBS that sells them is not allowed to fix the motors!!
I noticed that new bafang mid motor units cost upwards of 450 UK pounds, I bet Bosch are even more expensive.....450 Pounds would easily buy 3 complete new replacement hub rear wheels and include a pre mounted motor, controller and wiring harness, but not the battery. That you can buy where you wish to buy!!!
It's more than a sight difference in cost!!
I hope this explains the difference!
Andy

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
if you want to be specific on google.de
search for 'bosch motoren e bike probleme' returns About 2,220,000 results
search for 'nabenmotor e-bike probleme' returns About 95,000 results
(search for 'nabenmotoren e-bike probleme' returns same results)

There are very few specific issues with the hub motors in view of their simplicity.

Before you should me down, I have absolutely no inclination to rubbish anyone.
That is a huge difference in numbers, that is a ratio of over 23:1 .
And when one takes into account that there are no cheap Bosch bikes, that is an overwhelming ly huge difference, which in itself, tells it "how it is!"
The more expensive the bike, the lower the total number sold in general. Like saying, fewer Rolls Royces get sold than Fords!
Many thanks for supplying such a telling and vital "detail/statistic"....
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

and jimmy can recell the gen 2 bosch packs as long as they are working for £300 or a bit more if you want pure silver inter connectors than copper.

nothing with moving parts lasts forever just some are more lucky than others qc wise.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
With due respect, I started this thread just to have a little fun, to say how much my wife enjoyed riding an ebike for the first time and that I have chosen to surprise her with an ebike of her own.

If Bosch is the source of true evil in the cycling universe, perhaps it might be worth setting up an individual thread, rather than derail what I hoped would be a light hearted topic.
....and leaving you in ignorance of what REALLY happens?
I see that as the unfriendly way, that many people do use, (not me) so they can say something like:- " well you should do your research before buying!"
My way (I did it:)) you still can make a choice, but whatever you do, you are well informed up front!
Did you see the statistic that someone else found out as an indication of the problems between ALL HUB motors and Bosch mid motors, it worked out to be more than 23 problems with Bosch, against 1 hub motor problem.....
Even just 2:1 wold have convinced me that Bosch are just expensive rubbish.....

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
That is a huge difference in numbers, that is a ratio of over 23:1 .
I see you only choose the statistics that suit your rather one sided rant, you have made your point you obviously do not like Bosch, but other people do, so probably best to leave it at that and each to their own. As for me I have one of each ie Chinese hub and Bosch crank and like them both.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i took a hub motor rear wheel bike down a dh track the wheel would snap in half fact.

the point here is right to repair bosch like apple will not sell you any parts as they want you to replace the hole unit.

if you dont like that then dont buy it simple as that and there are now 3rd party offering a repair service just depends what has broken ;)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I see you only choose the statistics that suit your rather one sided rant, you have made your point you obviously do not like Bosch, but other people do, so probably best to leave it at that and each to their own. As for me I have one of each ie Chinese hub and Bosch crank and like them both.
You should read more on this site, and this topic, someone else found that out! Someone I am MOST grateful to!
remember its the number of Bosch problems online, against problems of ALL Hub motors online. Pretty damning!
And it therefore rather proves my thoughts on the subject completely......
But do not let solid hard facts change your mind! Remember, donald trump NEVER lets true facts get in the way of his wishes, thoughts and dreams!
Why should you not be the same as he if you so wish....?:DYour choice either way.....

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
But do not let solid hard facts change your mind! Remember, donald trump NEVER lets true facts get in the way of his wishes, thoughts and dreams!
Why should you not be the same as he if you so wish....?:DYour choice either way.....
Not sure why you have to result to insulting innuendos? all I can say is do not believe everything you read and try and be a bit more civil.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
if i took a hub motor rear wheel bike down a dh track the wheel would snap in half fact.

the point here is right to repair bosch like apple will not sell you any parts as they want you to replace the hole unit.

if you dont like that then dont buy it simple as that and there are now 3rd party offering a repair service just depends what has broken ;)
I personally have never heard of an axle breaking, and I am sure someone, somewhere could break the rear axle of a Bosch bike as well.....that is not an argument for the high prices and poor service that Bosch is known for.
I ride on forest tracks daily, good and bad ones, through hills that a UK resident would call mountains!
For around 6 years on my previous bike and well over 2 years on the present one. Never, ever had a problem, never even bent an axle, let alone broke one....I have not even broken a spoke. And I pull a trailer sometimes, fully loaded, placing extra strain on the rear axle, with no problems.
Maybe you have done it yourself on a very poor quality bike possibly? Let us know the make and model please? Or have you not actually had it happen to you personally?
I would even expect it to happen occasionally for almost any bike, probably due to a bad design of axle combined with bad metal working. A good well made axle should be able to support several tons of load without even bending....
I can find no statistics supporting this as a "common" fault of any bike type (Hub or middle motor!), or even make of bike. If you have links to such statistics, please post the web link, as I am always willing to learn something new.
I put it down to being a very seldom fault, if ever.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
And what actions were they?
I thought that it was patently obvious what my actions were.
Therefore I was assuming, maybe wrongly, that you had a better idea/action....
But apparently not!
Talk about going round in circles.....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I personally have never heard of an axle breaking, and I am sure someone, somewhere could break the rear axle of a Bosch bike as well.....that is not an argument for the high prices and poor service that Bosch is known for.
I ride on forest tracks daily, good and bad ones, through hills that a UK resident would call mountains!
For around 6 years on my previous bike and well over 2 years on the present one. Never, ever had a problem, never even bent an axle, let alone broke one....I have not even broken a spoke. And I pull a trailer sometimes, fully loaded, placing extra strain on the rear axle, with no problems.
Maybe you have done it yourself on a very poor quality bike possibly? Let us know the make and model please? Or have you not actually had it happen to you personally?
I would even expect it to happen occasionally for almost any bike, probably due to a bad design of axle combined with bad metal working. A good well made axle should be able to support several tons of load without even bending....
I can find no statistics supporting this as a "common" fault of any bike type (Hub or middle motor!), or even make of bike. If you have links to such statistics, please post the web link, as I am always willing to learn something new.
I put it down to being a very seldom fault, if ever.

if you dont brake it or cant crash it you are not going fast enough i have a staple gun and super glue ;)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

if you dont brake it or cant crash it you are not going fast enough i have a staple gun and super glue ;)
Not an e-bike! And the axles appear to have survived, as did the rider, thankfully!! The bike almost broke into 2 pieces....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you try do that with a hub motor the spokes will brake if you use a high power hub motor they can bend them and the frame with the power alone.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
....and leaving you in ignorance of what REALLY happens?
I see that as the unfriendly way, that many people do use, (not me) so they can say something like:- " well you should do your research before buying!"
My way (I did it:)) you still can make a choice, but whatever you do, you are well informed up front!
I read this forum religously. Many people buy Bosch powered bikes on here and are very happy with them. Me being one. I would have considered a Woosh bike, but I have to buy to the wants of the customer, in this case my wife. She wants style as well as an easy ride and with all due respect to the Woosh product, it would not quite press the right buttons for her.

I am not interested in carrying out a conversion.

So what you have works for you, great. To think I have not carried out research on what to buy is very, very wrong. Believe it or not, I am relatively bright.

As I said earlier, if you want to educate the masses on why Bosch are only one step up from the architects of the Final Solution, please do start your own thread. This was meant purely to be a light hearted and happy thread on one more person being converted to E bikes. With my wife enjoying it, (she is a very busy mobile hairdresser) I am sure will bring more people to this wonderful form of transport/pleasure.

So whether people buy Bosch/Shimano/Brose/Bafang hub or crank, let's please celebrate what brilliant vehicles these are and stop derailing threads that are meant to be light hearted.