Keeping it clean!

Thunder457

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2009
Has anyone any recommendations for a quality product to clean stubborn mud and grease from the frame and utensils to do this for the wheels, spokes etc. I have been told that after washing to spray WD40 on the frame after washing as this will repel water. I have terrible trouble removing mud from the inaccessible areas! Thanks

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
For top cleaning power I find Asda value baby wipes fantastic, don't need many on a pushbike. :)
WD40 and GT-85 can cause plastic and rubber to change, for winter protection most people seem to love ACF50.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Leave all the mud and grease on, it forms a fantastic protective layer against the elements. Works for me anyway.

Thunder457

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2009
Thanks Mussels, I did wonder about WD40 on rubber as it needs to be flexable, so will give that a miss

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Personally I use Windolene and a jay cloth, makes my wisper come up a treat :) . I chose this as it's a very gentle solvent "for all shiny surfaces"...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use a cap full of car shampoo in a bucket of warm water, wash everything using a sponge, leave it to dry naturally for a few hours and wipe the frame with GT85. I don't like WD40, it leaves a sticky film which attracts dirt.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Leave all the mud and grease on, it forms a fantastic protective layer against the elements. Works for me anyway.
I plead guilty too ! :p

When it rains, I usually give my Brompton a good shake before pushing it through the corridor, and I leave it standing on a rug for a few hours before folding and putting aside, ready for the next use. Yes, my lucky e-Brompton sleeps indoors, so I'm not worried about rust.

The layer of dust that remains on the rims, spokes, pedals, etc. doesn't bother me, and the frame itself is usually pretty clean to be honest. The only thing to watch is mud getting stuck under the wheel fenders, and there's nothing like a strong twig to sort it out :D

PS: I should mention the chain, which I clean regularly using the following method:

Short review: Barbieri "bath" chain cleaner

++
Dan

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Me too. I haven't cleaned my Q-bike since I created it in April 2007, though I did knock off a clod of mud at one point to keep the weight down.

Thunder457

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2009
Mmmmn. Not quite what I was expecting. I have just looked up "Muc off" anyone used this? They seem to do a bucket full of goodies quite expensive though £25.00+. For me I can't abide mess and must clean it up, just having problems with the fiddly areas.

tagray

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2007
Be a bit greener

Try green oil products - the chain cleaner sounds wacky - put it on like oil, cycle around a bit, wash it off (yes using water!) - but it works an absolute treat. They have a general spray for frame and wheel cleaning which is the same stuff diluted down - Green Oil
But there's probably nothing quite as green as leaving the muck on! Doesn't look nice though!

Trevor

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I picked up a spray bottle of Halfords bike cleaner (not sure the name of it now as it`s in the garage) it`s a pink colour. I brought it to clean up my Evans MTB that had stood for 20 years unused and to my amazement it came up 90% like new. Don`t think I`ve ever used a hand spray container off the shelf with so much pressure power.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
When the mood takes me, about four times a year, I give my e-bike a good clean using plain tap water, rag and an old toothbrush to get into awkward places. Plated metal parts, prone to rust, are protected with a trace of grease. The shiny metallic looking paint cleans up like new. In between times I spend a couple of minutes occasionally to clean off the muddy parts to keep it looking presentable.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I had intended giving my ProConnect S a good clean at 500 miles, but it did not require it. The damp conditions of the past month has concerned me so I added some wet-lube to the chain just to keep it lubricated. I might give the bike a clean at 1,000 miles if the weather has improved.:D