Key On/Off Switch

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hiya,

Does anyone have a means of isolating their Ebikes when left parked somewhere?

I wrongly assumed that the key lock on my HL downtube battery also functioned as an on/off switch i.e like an ignition switch.

I certainly don't intend removing the battery regularly and am a bit faffed that someone could walk up, switch on the bike and start messing around with it.

Thoughts?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Unlocking the downtube battery is certainly not recommended; just asking for it to be stolen.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One could place a switch inline on the V+ line somewhere.
On my 700c touring bike I have a push button latching switch which I fitted to the battery case base on the V+ line to the controller. The battery it self has an on off switch but you have to remove it as it is concealed by the receiver.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'd have to hack into your LCD cable to find the red ignition wire, then you could splice a switch onto it. If you had a conventional aluminium box controller, you could splice the switch into the exposed cable inside it to avoid the hacking, but if you have something like a crank-drive with an internal controller, that's not really an option.

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
You'd have to hack into your LCD cable to find the red ignition wire, then you could splice a switch onto it. If you had a conventional aluminium box controller, you could splice the switch into the exposed cable inside it to avoid the hacking, but if you have something like a crank-drive with an internal controller, that's not really an option.
Okay thank you, will take a look at that. Am surprised that this does not feature as part of the design :/

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi. The 2 bikes I've used behave differently, the older one needs the key to turn it on.
The newer one is like yours - you can turn it on without the key, key is only needed to remove the battery.

Reactions: Swizz