KIA shows two electric bikes and a new manufacturing process

TGIR

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2013
"South Korean automotive manufacturer Kia looks set to return to its bicycle-manufacturing roots with the showing of two prototype electric bikes at the Geneva Motor Show. Already given a brand name – Kia Electric Bicycle (KEB) – both prototypes are of the "pedelec" variety, meaning they can be pedaled and powered electrically, with one a "City" and the other a Mountain Bike (MTB)."

http://www.gizmag.com/kia-electric-bikes/31076/pictures

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if they'll have the Kia 7 year warranty on everything! :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I wouldn;t take any notice of Kia's so-called warranties. My dealer refused a warranty claim on a bonnet clip which seized up and froze the bonnet shut just in time for MOT at about aged 5, well below the 100k miles.

They claimed it was on account of "incorrect maintenance" blaming me for not greasing it often enough living in a coastal area ( :rolleyes: - pull the other one) and stung me for over £200 in parts and labour to get it through its MOT. Usual story. The joke is the car was bought & registered in coastal Devon but serviced and kept inland most of the time 100 miles from the nearest salt air.

An even bigger joke is that the very same dealer had fixed the front of the car under insurance after some idiot reversed into it in a car park 2 years earlier. The bonnet clip never worked again properly after that without sticking so it was their own shoddy work which was to blame for the premature failure in the 1st place.

I've said it before and will say again, warranties are barely worth the toilet paper they are printed on. Most of the time you may as well buy at a 40%+ discount from abroad if you can and pay for the odd repair if needed. Save yourself the grief of arguing with a load of lying, cheating b******** along the way too !

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
They both look very neat and tidy - pity they don't show a crank drive version as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've said it before and will say again, warranties are barely worth the toilet paper they are printed on.
Absolutely right, I was of course sarcastically joking about the Kia e-bikes having their 7 year warranty.

C

Cyclezee

I wouldn;t take any notice of Kia's so-called warranties. My dealer refused a warranty claim on a bonnet clip which seized up and froze the bonnet shut just in time for MOT at about aged 5, well below the 100k miles.

They claimed it was on account of "incorrect maintenance" blaming me for not greasing it often enough living in a coastal area ( :rolleyes: - pull the other one) and stung me for over £200 in parts and labour to get it through its MOT. Usual story. The joke is the car was bought & registered in coastal Devon but serviced and kept inland most of the time 100 miles from the nearest salt air.

An even bigger joke is that the very same dealer had fixed the front of the car under insurance after some idiot reversed into it in a car park 2 years earlier. The bonnet clip never worked again properly after that without sticking so it was their own shoddy work which was to blame for the premature failure in the 1st place.

I've said it before and will say again, warranties are barely worth the toilet paper they are printed on. Most of the time you may as well buy at a 40%+ discount from abroad if you can and pay for the odd repair if needed. Save yourself the grief of arguing with a load of lying, cheating b******** along the way too !
Sorry to hear about your Kia experiences, If I wasn't happy with my Volvo and my wife could be parted from her beloved Daihatsu (that car is just soooo reliable) I would be tempted by a Kia at 40% off.
Where can you get them from and is that right hand drive?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Do you get a free Alsatian Sandwich or Spaniel Kebab with each bike purchased?

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Is it the dealer that gives the make a bad name? A mate has just had his engine ruined because of a broken cam belt. The manufacturer is honouring the replacement engine, the dealer wanted to charge for a 'worn' flywheel at 35,000 miles. A call to the dealer has sorted that problem.

They will try anything if they can get away with it.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
They will try anything if they can get away with it.
Especially if you need your vehicle back that day and it's £120 round trip in a taxi to go back & forth. It's called taking advantage and the dealers are all "at it". They only do it once to me and I will never deal with them again for sales or servicing. Amazingly, somehow I manage perfectly well without dealers most of the time. I'd rather go to the dentist for root canal than step foot in a retail car dealership servicing department. Unfortunately, since living in the UK I view them now as pretty much scum of the earth.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Maybe toyota or lexus will come up with something, their customer service is best in business.

The Mercedes smart bike looks gorgeous, quite pricey though.