Kit advice

Daz73

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Hello fellas, looking at converting my sulcata to electric , any links to best kits , I've seen so many I'm lost ha

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hi Daz73 ,
theres plenty of info on here.
Try the conversion section for a few ideas to start with.
Hub kits, crank kits etc are all covered.
Regards
Rob

Ooops , just realised that's were you posted. Have a read through anyway and it will give you some ideas as to whats available.
Also state what you want to get from your conversion and im sure advice wfollow.

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
Thanks Tony , Read quite a few and thinking Bafang mid motor is the way to go, just need to decide on which W to go for any good UK dealers as dealing from China doesn't really float my boat , thanks

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
So as I've been trawling through billions of threads, quite a few people here use pswpower, where I'm struggling is anyone that's dealt with a Sulcata bike.. I'm fancying this setup, any good ??

Again, all help appreciated

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have used them with no problem in the past.
It appears postage is quite dear when I look at the whole price, they never use to be.
CS may be lacking should an issue arise so like many China seller you take your chance.

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
well i bought the above, wish me luck, no doubt I'll be back with problems/ issues :)

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
Today received my bbs02b mid drive motor & battery, couple of issues,

1. There isnt enough thread for the M33 locknut to attach too, is this ok to leave off??

also the battery is going to be a struggle due to the bottle holes in the wrong place ( too low down the bar )

the carrera's mid section isnt the biggest so placing the battery with enough room to then take off will be touch

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
holes can be drilled and rivnuts inserted quite easily.
If you can at least get battery on, do you need to take off regularly? If not it wont be an issue.
If you mean the second part of the locking mechanism on the crank then you can get away with thread lock like I did. There are pics on my recent bbshd project
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Daz73

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
holes can be drilled and rivnuts inserted quite easily.
If you can at least get battery on, do you need to take off regularly? If not it wont be an issue.
If you mean the second part of the locking mechanism on the crank then you can get away with thread lock like I did. There are pics on my recent bbshd project
Hope this helps.
I went through your whole thread, nice bike and build ... Not sure about that bike ride from Heywood to Blackstone edge haha. Felt tired reading it

Reactions: RobN

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Change the brakes to hydraulic. They'll be a hundred times better You can get decent used ones on Ebay for about £40 a pair. they only take a few minutes to fit as long as you buy them with the hose attached to the lever and the caliper.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's better to get branded ones like Tektro, Juicy, Shimano, Avid, hayes, magura, etc, Avoid unbranded, Zoom and Clarkes. be careful that they're genuine. Any set coming from China for less than £40 is unlikely to be genuine. Search by those each of those brand names to filter out all the crap.

One thing to loo out for is the shape. On some, the gubbins on the levers runs close to the bars, and if you have other stuff on the bars, like a throttle, they don't fit. Have a look at what's on your bars and then look at the shape of the ones that you're thinking of buying, just to be sure.

These look OK

I must admit that I prefer the Shimano M766 integrated shifters/hydraulic brakes, that I fit on all my bikes. They're only 9 x 3 speeds. I always make sure that I have a spare pair in stock for my next build. Whenever I use a pair, I start trawling Ebay for the next one. I usually pay about £40 each. You can see enough room for the thumb throttle, right where you want it:

Reactions: Daz73 and Woosh

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
Hmmm! It depends how much $40 is worth to you. They could be worth a try. You get a lot for your money and at least we'd find out if they're any good.
I dont mind being a guinea pig ;) just an idea really..

also whilst im here, I just been on a ride ( 15 miles ) all good apart from a red "i" icon in the top right of my diplay , the display is the p850c , it comes on and then disappears, there is no error code so not sure what it is

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I dont mind being a guinea pig ;) just an idea really..

also whilst im here, I just been on a ride ( 15 miles ) all good apart from a red "i" icon in the top right of my diplay , the display is the p850c , it comes on and then disappears, there is no error code so not sure what it is
Doesn't that symbol come on when you apply the brakes, assuming that you have brake switches?

Daz73

Jun 19, 2020
im not sure, it was random , i'll go out again and try and notice when it comes on :) thanks for all your help mate, much appreciated