Kit options for a Brompton

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
This is my brompton you can see how I mount my controller

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Nice! Thanks for the picture, that's the logical place to put the controller I suppose. (unless maybe that could also go in a front bag along with the battery? I suppose that would require many connections though.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
All the connections are inside the controller case. Only the battery connection sticks out. And yes my battery is in c bag.

I also have a brompton pannier bag and it fits perfectly well for my 36v 10 ah battery. That makes the handling a lot better. The downside is I need to remove the bag completely in order to fold

Pat

Keith Palmer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2015
Hi,

I have owned a Wisper 905 for some years and become addticted to this bike.
I recently moved London and left my ebike in Norway. Last night my manual folding bike was stolen, and I am now looking to buy a new bike, and considering my options.

I am leaning towards buying a used Brompton, and hopefully also fitting it with an electric conversion.

I use the bike to haul my kids to preschool in a double bike trailer, uphill. That task was easy enough with the Wisper (considerably harder with the manual folder). But will it be possible with an electrified Brompton? (Hill is not very steep btw).

I don't need speed. But I do want decent torque.
Also, I'd preferrably not go broke in the process.

I understand there are two main kits: Sparticle and Nano? Also, I know NYCewheels in New York sell a popular kit with a Crystalyte motor - not sure if this is availble in the UK? Also heard of German alternatives like Heinzmann?

My questions to all you knowledgeable and helpful folks here on the forum are:

Of the available kits:

-Which have the torque needed for the job (all? none?)
-Which offer the best value for money?
-Where should I buy them?
-How hard are they to install?

Is DYI an alternative? Meaning, buying a motor, battery, controller etc off Ebay or from China. And if so - what to look for, and where to look for it?

Thanks for any advice!

Chris
Hi Chris,

At www.conv-e.com there is an article by a magazine in UK on converting Bromptons. XOOTR in PA can source these