Kit options for Fat Bike

C

Cyclezee

Hi John, it looks very similar but it's the fatfish bike from argos. Will post up link n pics when I get home.

Would a kit fit those from gooutdoors?
Hi Tezdread,

The Argos bike is identical to the Coyote, only cheaper and sold under a different brand name.

I think the dropouts on both those bikes may be too wide for standard hub motor, the eZee e-Rex has narrower tyres so that the standard hub motor will fit.

I would suggest a visit to Go Outdoors where you can at least see one in the flesh and see just how heavy it is.

Personally, I would want to test ride one first without power.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi Tezdread,

The Argos bike is identical to the Coyote, only cheaper and sold under a different brand name.

I think the dropouts on both those bikes may be too wide for standard hub motor, the eZee e-Rex has narrower tyres so that the standard hub motor will fit.

I would suggest a visit to Go Outdoors where you can at least see one in the flesh and see just how heavy it is.

Personally, I would want to test ride one first without power.
it looks stunning and 299 is very cheap, but after i read this https://www.electricbike.com/pedego-trail-tracker/
i'm not so sure it delivers...clearly fat bike tires are NOT schwalbe big apples (apparently the drag can fry a 600w hub motor offroad)

C

Cyclezee

I can see how a Fat Bike could be fun to ride on the beach or snow, but Milton Keynes is a long way from the beach and it never snows here:rolleyes: so it's not for me.

Here is what happens when I ride on the beach with 'skinny' MTB tyres:oops:
20140906_185655.jpg

Reactions: RobF

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
it looks stunning and 299 is very cheap, but after i read this https://www.electricbike.com/pedego-trail-tracker/
i'm not so sure it delivers...clearly fat bike tires are NOT schwalbe big apples (apparently the drag can fry a 600w hub motor offroad)
I don't know much about much but it looked like a good deal to me. It has a 10 year warranty that covers everything on the bike except the tyres and tubes against manufacturing faults, but that's a bit vague to me but guess in general if something breaks and it's a manufacturing fault, they'll replace etc. How to prove it was their fault maybe another thing...that I hope I never get to!

That's a good article, he is of the opinion of having a rear hub motor and the battery on a rear rack was not such a good design. I think it has to be mid drive with bottle mount battery. I did see one guy in a video with his battery in a backpack, which looked like a pretty good idea, he was using the BBS-02 mid drive.

John, you're right, it's the same bike. I bought the one from Argos (Christmas present to myself) and went out with it the other night. I had to get off and walk up a hill with it and that's never happened and I went up that hill the first time, when I was 9. But that was a combination of spending the previous 4 days eating and drinking more than normal and sitting on a sofa and not riding at all. I also didn't check the gears properly (probably due to the drinking) and I couldn't get into the top highest gears and finally, I don't know if the tyres were inflated enough as I didn't have a pressure gauge on my pump so I left them as they were out of the box.

The climb was up a farmers track\road but down was a well used track and the end of the field. something I've gone down on different bikes/tyres (26"x2.10 biggest I think) and on this fat one it felt more like being on smooth ground. Normally I would be weaving, trying to avoid other peoples ruts, bumps etc. At the bottom of the track, the ground levels and always collects water. I've had two mountain bikes get stuck in that mud patch in recent years, one of which damaged the rear derailleur and a couple of spokes. On this, with the benefit of speed from the hill, I went straight over it. Going the other way was a different story.

Coming back the very muddy part was on the flat like me and the way I had to get to it meant starting at the edge of the mud, which meant I had no speed (mixed with the above reasons why I couldn't climb the hill) and couldn't get through it. So muddy shoes, then a walk up the muddy track.

I'm a long way away from sand, to to far from you but these bikes don't need sand or snow, wherever a bike would normally get stuck, the chances are, these won't. I went out on it tonight for a short ride and took it round some of the smaller roads that are pretty iced up and felt a lot safer, my guess is I took the corners a little faster but it's always going to be slower due to the drag of the tyres on the straights. I wouldn't normally think having some snow would be good, but I would like to see how it handles.

Anyho' I'm happy with it so far and will give it a good thrashing before too long :)

It's the climb more than anything that is hard work and this is why a mid drive motor makes the most sense to me. I don't think a throttle would be necessary for it but a powerful motor would be needed.

The question remains and I'll keep looking

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tezdread,

I wouldn't worry too much about warranty, once you start to modify by adding electric or attacking with an angle grinder it will almost certainly be invalid if something should break.

At £299 it's not a huge investment and mid drive with a BBS 01 / 02 is probably a good route to go depending on the dimensions of the BB shell and the chain alignment.

The shell needs to be 64 to 68mm wide for a BBS kit.

Just out of curiosity I'm tempted to pop round to Go Outdoors with a Vernier gaugeo_O

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi Tezdread,

I wouldn't worry too much about warranty, once you start to modify by adding electric or attacking with an angle grinder it will almost certainly be invalid if something should break.

At £299 it's not a huge investment and mid drive with a BBS 01 / 02 is probably a good route to go depending on the dimensions of the BB shell and the chain alignment.

The shell needs to be 64 to 68mm wide for a BBS kit.

Just out of curiosity I'm tempted to pop round to Go Outdoors with a Vernier gaugeo_O
i'd be grateful if you do, thanks to tezdread's review (sounds a lot better than i imagined, i can see fat tyres might make for easy offroad relaxed cruising) i cant help but being tempted (specially if a BBS kit slotted straight in), the last hurdle, in my case, is that the locals in my neck of the woods sometimes respond strangley to unfamiliar experiences (abuse etc)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
C

Cyclezee

i'd be grateful if you do, thanks to tezdread's review (sounds a lot better than i imagined, i can see fat tyres might make for easy offroad relaxed cruising) i cant help but being tempted (specially if a BBS kit slotted straight in), the last hurdle, in my case, is that the locals in my neck of the woods sometimes respond strangley to unfamiliar experiences (abuse etc)
I have had no chance to get to Go Outdoors, today has been manic and it looks like tomorrow will be too.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for the link Geebee, interesting but I can't see me cutting up the frame (I've never replaced\removed a BB!)

John, you think an electric kit would void warranty? Guess I'd forgo it to have an electric kit :D

California Ebike have a 100mm conversion option for the Bafang 8FUN Mid Drive so it's close. They have said that the only way they could do it for a 120mm would be if they could sell 20 units, due to costs.

http://california-ebike.com/fat-bike-diy-modification-package-bafang-bbs-02-mid-drive/

If there isn't a mid drive kit that fits ATM (I'm still looking), I'm confident that there will be soon(ish) as I think that fat bikes will become more popular.

It was only a short time ago that I had never been on an electric bike. Before I knew about kits and the bike options available now, I thought that all ebikes were not for me...then I learned about the kits and really nice bikes, tried a few out and knew I wanted one but I was never really going to experience how good they can be without riding one. My experience with the fat bike was similar but the only way to try was to buy. I bought, rode and knew the benefits\issues and loved it. I think that the more people that try them will like them but they're not for everyday use like a MTB etc. It's a tractor-bike!

Reactions: Cyclezee
D

Deleted member 4366

Why don't you tell us what bike you have, and then we can advise you how to convert it.?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Thanks for the link Geebee, interesting but I can't see me cutting up the frame (I've never replaced\removed a BB!)

John, you think an electric kit would void warranty? Guess I'd forgo it to have an electric kit :D

California Ebike have a 100mm conversion option for the Bafang 8FUN Mid Drive so it's close. They have said that the only way they could do it for a 120mm would be if they could sell 20 units, due to costs.

http://california-ebike.com/fat-bike-diy-modification-package-bafang-bbs-02-mid-drive/

If there isn't a mid drive kit that fits ATM (I'm still looking), I'm confident that there will be soon(ish) as I think that fat bikes will become more popular.

It was only a short time ago that I had never been on an electric bike. Before I knew about kits and the bike options available now, I thought that all ebikes were not for me...then I learned about the kits and really nice bikes, tried a few out and knew I wanted one but I was never really going to experience how good they can be without riding one. My experience with the fat bike was similar but the only way to try was to buy. I bought, rode and knew the benefits\issues and loved it. I think that the more people that try them will like them but they're not for everyday use like a MTB etc. It's a tractor-bike!
how about this (if you could mount a double chain ring upfront):
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/stoke.html
it may be obvious - but it looks very hackable (one could by the looks of it really manipulate the chain line) and it would suit the aesthetics and grunt of a tractor bike

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks selrach, I found this
http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/stokemonkey_and_ping_battery/index.html
Having the motor in that position would work I guess but if it would fit in the limited space there, I would have an issue of where the controller and battery would go.

Bionx do a rear wheel motor on the Surly Moonlander and that has wider tyres than my bike, but whether or not they could\would send me a kit and whether it would fit I will try and find out but I did read they don't currently ship outside the USA

C

Cyclezee

Hi tez,

Initially I didn't realise that you had actually bought the bike, but as you now have it I would suggest that you measure the front and rear dropouts to see if a hub motor conversion would be suitable.

Regarding a BionX direct drive kits, you can get them from the UK, but the starting price is £1600.
In contrast, the Heinzmann direct drive kits we sell start at £1160 http://www.cyclezee.com/heinzmann-conversion-kits.html

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
I thought that the moonlander would need a wider hub than the standard kit? If not how would you get a standard hub motor to fit the wider wheels?

"A rough measurement of the dropouts puts them at about 150mm front and 180mm rear."

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You could fit a rear hub to the front then.