kits and matching the other wheel

snowboarder

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2016
If I bought a bike electric Kit i.e rear oxydrive kit etc is it possible to find a front wheel rim to match.

Anybody else that has fitted an OXYDrive CST HT 350W 36V 13Ah electric bike conversion kit did it match the front wheel?

Id love to see some pictures of the oxydrive fitted on your own bikes?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I bought a bike electric Kit i.e rear oxydrive kit etc is it possible to find a front wheel rim to match.

Anybody else that has fitted an OXYDrive CST HT 350W 36V 13Ah electric bike conversion kit did it match the front wheel?

Id love to see some pictures of the oxydrive fitted on your own bikes?

Thanks
What size rim and where do you live ?
Pick up only I have a Oxydrive 26" rim and 13g spokes spare as I re - laced my kit into a different rim.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
If you mean looks wise I just sprayed the 26" rim of the Oxydrive motor wheel (350w cst ht) with satin black paint, matches the front rim enough for me.

Example of painted vs non painted Oxydrive CST motor wheels with Trance on left with blacked rim, Cube on right with original rim.

Last edited:

snowboarder

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks, it does look better sprayed black. Don't know why the kit don't come all black now as all the rims these days are black. I have just had a new voodoo bike so am thinking of this kit.

Does the Battery feel secure with just the 2 bolts?

Do you have the cut out brakes installed?

My bike has hydraulic brakes so this kit hasn't caught up with the technology yet

thanks

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
On the Trance I had to drill the frame and add a couple of rivnuts to get the battery position right due to the suspension. I would say that I have done some fairly rough riding on the Trance and not once had any concern about the battery mounts either damaging the frame or security of the battery.
On the Cube the battery mounts just bolted straight onto the existing bottle mounts. I suppose it depends on the available clearances.
Both bikes have hydraulics and as for cut outs, I don't really bother. The original Oxydrive kit only had one cut out anyway so I disassembled the supplied brake lever and glued the reed switch to my brake lever housing, covered in sugru and stuck a neodymium magnet to the lever, this worked fine (see Oxydrive kit thread for details and other solutions).
However, since I upgraded my hydraulic brakes (and they're very powerful) I don't bother with cut out or the throttle as the PAS is fine so all is good.
I can't recommend the Oxydrive kit enough, it'll bring a whole new life to your bike!

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherkiwi

snowboarder

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2016
On the Trance I had to drill the frame and add a couple of rivnuts to get the battery position right due to the suspension. I would say that I have done some fairly rough riding on the Trance and not once had any concern about the battery mounts either damaging the frame or security of the battery.
On the Cube the battery mounts just bolted straight onto the existing bottle mounts. I suppose it depends on the available clearances.
Both bikes have hydraulics and as for cut outs, I don't really bother. The original Oxydrive kit only had one cut out anyway so I disassembled the supplied brake lever and glued the reed switch to my brake lever housing, covered in sugru and stuck a neodymium magnet to the lever, this worked fine (see Oxydrive kit thread for details and other solutions).
However, since I upgraded my hydraulic brakes (and they're very powerful) I don't bother with cut out or the throttle as the PAS is fine so all is good.
I can't recommend the Oxydrive kit enough, it'll bring a whole new life to your bike!
do you have a bigger picture of the bike :)

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Which bike, Trance or Cube?
I'll take a pic when I next go out for a ride (this weekend).

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
The Oxydrive kit comes with "torque" anti rotation washers but I have fitted a torque arm to the Trance.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Can you spot the torque arm on my Trance? It's kind of subtle.. It's a cyclezee one bought off eBay.

snowboarder

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2016
IMG_6078.JPG Thanks I've upgraded my voodoo bike rear brake with a 180mm rotor to give more clearance for motor upgrades. But my drop outs are 10mm at least so I may get away without the torque arm as my frame seems quite strong being a new model :) But maybe I could even put a flat black metal plate from axle to the brake spacer bolt to reinforce the dropout?

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I thought I would have to upgrade the rear disc on the Cube for clearance due to the motor but it is fine with the 160 disc.
I wouldn't fret too much about a torque arm as the anti rotation washers supplied with the Oxydrive kit will most likely be sufficient if (as you say) your frame is strong. However, if you are concerned have a search on here as I'm sure others have fashioned and fitted alternative torque plates.

snowboarder

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2016
Guess the 180mm rotor will give it a little extra power to cope with the speed lol, I got the shimano rotor off ebay so was easy to upgrade it to the 180mm , at least the front and back brakes match now lol

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015

Any black rim/spoke/hub wheel will be close enough to the OD one it wont notice at more than a few feet. I even added matching stickers to my OD wheel to suit the existing front :)2015-07-10 16.22.53.jpg

Reactions: snowboarder

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
AFAIK OD spokes are black, as supplied the rim is unpainted on the braking face for use with rim brakes.
I really like the look of Planemo's bike as it looks as stock as any OD conversation I've seen.[emoji106]