KT 3 setting help please

Adwb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 2, 2022
Using a KT 3lcd display I am getting my self a bit confused with the Chinese English on some settings,
what I want to achieve is the following,
set legal speed limit as maximum
set PAS levels to increase power rather than speed,
get max power for hill assist
have pas start as quickly as possible
have pas soft start if that’s possible give the one above?
have thumb throttle only give 6kph unless pas is active then more power or max power?

is any of that achievable with out conflicting with one another?
thank you for reading this.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Not sure you will be able to achieve everything, but this is the best English explanation that I have found on how to configure the LCD03.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Using a KT 3lcd display I am getting my self a bit confused with the Chinese English on some settings,
what I want to achieve is the following,
set legal speed limit as maximum
set PAS levels to increase power rather than speed,
get max power for hill assist
have pas start as quickly as possible
have pas soft start if that’s possible give the one above?
have thumb throttle only give 6kph unless pas is active then more power or max power?

is any of that achievable with out conflicting with one another?
thank you for reading this.
Legal set speed is easy to do . Turn on display and press the up/down pads for 5 secs until the dispaly flashes , the first units to appear are speed units set the units to 25kmh. Press the middle pad again and set wheel size, press again to enter kmh or mph readout. Once done simply sw off.

PAS levels power are pre set PAS1 13%, PAS2 20%, PAS 3 33%, PAS4 50% & PAS5 100%. Make sure P3 is set for value 1 , current control.

Max power for hill assist is PAS 5 and set C5 value for 10.

Typically PAS is pretty instant within a 1/8 - 1/4 turn if using a 8 or 10 pole disc.

Soft start option is pre programmed whether one feels it is soft enough is out of one's control.

Throttle one can have either 6kmh or full throttle but not both.
C4 value 1 = 6 kmh.
C4 value 2 is speed limit specified ( one inputs the max speed whilst in C4 parameter).

Hope the above helps.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I don't have a throttle fitted so can't test this, but according to the LCD4 manual, if you set p4=1 and c4=1 you get the throttle action you wanted.
"Before power assist, the throttle speed limit is 6KM/H, after power assist, throttle is full speed."

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can have 6kmh walk assist with out a throttle though holding down the button/pad isn't as easy as a throttle. As you have no throttle fitted you can't have throttle max power though one can have max power via peddaling with PAS 5.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't have a throttle fitted so can't test this, but according to the LCD4 manual, if you set p4=1 and c4=1 you get the throttle action you wanted.
"Before power assist, the throttle speed limit is 6KM/H, after power assist, throttle is full speed."
P4/1 means one has to pedal first before throttle becomes active, by setting C4/1 then one limits the throttle to 6 kmh . With C settings one can only select one of the parameters and one thrtottle action afaik.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Nealh,

It may be that you are right. As I said, I can't test it because I don't have a throttle, but according to my manual (see below) P4=1 and C4=1 does what is wanted by the OP.51766

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
.........have pas soft start if that’s possible give the one above?
I think this can be done with the newer KT controllers and LCD's by setting C5 to 0 or 1 or 2 although I did not try it. It could be a useful function on front wheel hub motors to reduce the stress on dropouts. I would be interested myself in comments/feedback on this as I have been looking into fitting front motor to bike with suntour alloy forks.

Last edited:

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
Good afternoon AGS, Nealh , RogerA and Sturmey, first thank you for the assistance and replies and my apologies for the length of time it has taken me to reply.
below my setting which achieved , with your help, what I was looking for.
P1 = 100
p2 = 6
p3 = 1
p4 = 1
p5 = 15
c1 = 0
c2 = 0
c3 = 0
c4 = 1
c5 = 00
c6 = 5
c7 = 1
c8 = 0
c9 = 0
c10 = N
c11 = 0
c12 = 4
c13 = 0
c14 = 3
c15 = 6

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
I think this can be done with the newer KT controllers and LCD's by setting C5 to 0 or 1 or 2 although I did not try it. It could be a useful function on front wheel hub motors to reduce the stress on dropouts. I would be interested myself in comments/feedback on this as I have been looking into fitting front motor to bike with suntour alloy forks.

View attachment 51768
I can confirm that using the 00 or 01 option does have a soft start effect, not a huge one on a 250 w motor but on a bigger one or a light bikeI would I suspect it would be very noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: Sturmey

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
Also the speed achieved is full speed as per currently selected PAS level.