KT-LCD2, KT-LCD3, KT-LCD6, KT-LCD8, KT-LCD10 replacement button assembly mounting bracket

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The button assembly itself holds the nut captive, so one is not required on this part.

The part pictured in the above photos is printed with PLA, which has proved sufficient for all clamps I have printed previously. The only time I ever use PETG is when a higher glass temperature is required.

I used to use a fair amount of PETG whenever I needed something a bit tougher, but modern PLA is much improved in this regard, so I rarely bother anymore.
I see, so the nut is held captive already in the switch.

I would probably still put a little fillet into the area in blue, to avoid stress concentrations at this critical point:

Modern PLA is pretty good, I've made quite a few bike attachment parts from it. It's usually fine so long as you don't hit it hard with a hammer. But this design should be fine in terms of toughness because of the orientation of the layers and there is no space filling.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Good suggestion, thanks. There should be room for a small fillet there if I leave a cutout for the screw head.
Have you thought of providing a general 3D printing service to people on the forum? There are loads of areas where it would be a big help to people. There are all sorts of clamps etc you could make for people. For example, battery mounts that are secure and don't risk damage to bottle holder bolts:

Or controller mounts:

Small components, like this gear tensioner bracket, so the Powabyke could use modern indexing gears:

Not to mention all sorts of brackets and clamps to fit things onto handlebars...

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Have you thought of providing a general 3D printing service to people on the forum? There are loads of areas where it would be a big help to people. There are all sorts of clamps etc you could make for people. For example, battery mounts that are secure and don't risk damage to bottle holder bolts:

View attachment 37750

View attachment 37751

View attachment 37752

Or controller mounts:

View attachment 37753

Small components, like this gear tensioner bracket, so the Powabyke could use modern indexing gears:

View attachment 37754

View attachment 37755

Not to mention all sorts of brackets and clamps to fit things onto handlebars...
Yes, it's something I have considered, but decided it would be too time intensive due to the wide variation of component and frame dimensions and therefore prohibitively expensive. Anything involving one-off fabrication is not of interest to me as a commercial operation. There are already 100's of UK based 3D printing companies that will simply print an STL if forum members require such a service.

The only exception I would consider is high-end fabrication, where one-off costs are easier to recoup.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Received my bracket this morning (thanks again!) and fitted it during my lunch break. Perfect fit and very rigid. Certainly not going anywhere. Would definitely recommend if anyone has suffered the dreaded button box break!
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the repair. I'm also pleased that I managed to nail the design on the first attempt - that's quite a rare occurrence with 3D printing. Would you object to me using your photos to demonstrate the bracket in use?

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the repair. I'm also pleased that I managed to nail the design on the first attempt - that's quite a rare occurrence with 3D printing. Would you object to me using your photos to demonstrate the bracket in use?
Not at all, please feel free. It was a perfect fit, seemed my old bracket broke in just the right place!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Thank you.

If anyone else needs a replacement bracket free-of-charge, now is the time to request one.

The STL file will eventually be published, allowing anyone with a 3D printer to fabricate their own.

The brackets will also be available to purchase for around £4, delivered within the UK. Additional postage costs will apply for international purchases.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I got in from work tonight just before 23.00hrs and my pair were sitting on the mat, will see if I can find time to fit one tomorrow on my Norco 700c commuter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The PLA 3D replacement holder is perfect, great stuff Daniel.
Grips firmly and looks good, some might want to fit a 3 or 4mm longer M4 machine screw.

Button pad with offending old broken holder sawn off.
DSCF1104.JPG

Button pad with new PLA 3D holder in position.
DSCF1105.JPG

Button pad fixed on the handle bar.
DSCF1107.JPG

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Thank you for your feedback Neal. Is your button assembly attached to a standard 22.2mm handlebar and did you need a longer screw? The original 13mm screw should be long enough for a standard handlebar.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes 22mm Daniel, I did use the original screw just mentioned it as the thread didn't want to engage with the nut without more pressure then I expected.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Yes 22mm Daniel, I did use the original screw just mentioned it as the thread didn't want to engage with the nut without more pressure then I expected.
Hmmm... I wonder if that's due to a slightly-less-than-perpendicular screw/nut engagement that occurs when the bracket is compressed enough for the screw to reach the captive nut. I thought I'd left sufficient play in the screw hole to account for this, but possibly not. Seeing as you were able to fit it successfully in the end, I'll probably leave the design as it is.

Do you mind if I use one of your images to illustrate the bracket in use?

Last edited:

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
Yep. You'll have to remove the remaining portion of the bracket to make room for the replacement though.

Just PM'd you.
lcd3 switch.jpg IMG_20200815_133224_4.jpg IMG_20200815_133244_3.jpg magic_1597494894490.jpg magic_1597495253099.jpg

Recieved today and fits perfect and feels much stronger than i expected it to and i would say stronger that the original. Once everything is back together you wouldn't notice it had been repaired. I used the same screw that came with my LCD3 and didn't have any issue with mine. Good to hear you are going to make these available to purchase and i would be happy to pay for one if any of my other conversions encounter the same issue.
Thanks again.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
View attachment 37805 View attachment 37806 View attachment 37807 View attachment 37808 View attachment 37809

Recieved today and fits perfect and feels much stronger than i expected it to and i would say stronger that the original. Once everything is back together you wouldn't notice it had been repaired. I used the same screw that came with my LCD3 and didn't have any issue with mine. Good to hear you are going to make these available to purchase and i would be happy to pay for one if any of my other conversions encounter the same issue.
Thanks again.
Thank you for your feedback. It's great to read that the fix is so effective and I'm happy to have been able to help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can use the pics if you wish to Daniel.
I fitted the 2nd unit so both now stable and feeling/ looking like new, the 2nd retro fit I had to find another M4 as the original was lost some time ago. The M4 I found was 18mm so cut 2 or 3mm off and found the engagement much better.

For anyone with a broken KT button pad bracket I can highly recommend these for a nice static fixture again.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Hi All

Do you own a KT-LCD2, KT-LCD3, KT-LCD6, KT-LCD8 or KT-LCD10 display with a broken button assembly mounting bracket?

I have a small number of replacement mounts to give away, all costs covered (UK only). The repair doesn't involve any glue or adhesive and is secured using the existing screw & nut. All I ask in return, is for your feedback on the installation, fitting and efficacy of the replacement mount.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Dan
Good evening Dan, do you have any of the replacement button fitments left as i would like one please for my KT-LCD8H which broke on me two days ago?. If you have how do i purchase one from you?.
Kind regards.
Andy.