Help! KT P and C settings (Swytch motor, 36v 10.6 battery , KT 15amp controller) L5 max 18kmh

FrTedCrilly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2023
Hi all - hoping for a bit of help here ...

My previous post was "..alternate battery and controller options to use with Swytch" .. thanks all for help on that one.

From this I purchased the following, all connected up and working.

Hoping KT settings can tweak / change up the speed limit, and that I have not made a mistate with what I bought (e.g battery)

My issue is the speed in power assist levels are lower than I expected - basically looking for assistance at top level to be a few more KMhs speed than it is giving., and hoping that the Swytch hub Sywtch/AKM 100SX-6XX-36H-S is not speed limited (was sure I read in some thread it was not )

Basically on Level 5 there is no assistance above around 18kmh ... I have searched a fair bit on this forum and others but no luck Left wondering is reason to do with the 10.6 battery output ? and if so how in the setup can increase this ? or is it other KT settings ? e.g. C2

All help welcome and hopefully answers can help others in future - thanks in advance - TC

Currently using KT settings from https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/settings-for-kt-controller-and-swytch-hub.46338/

KT -LCD 4 -
I have set the top speed to be 35 kmh - so was hoping for assistance to be a bit greater than the legal limit.

Controller -TBK T06S 36V/48V 250W-350W 15A KT SINE WAVE CONTROLLER WITH JULET WP PLUG
1--Rate Voltage:36V/48V
2--Rated Current:7A
3--Maximum Current:15±1A
4--Low Voltage Protection:DC30/40V±0.5V
5--Speed Set:1-4.2V
6--Brake input: Low-level
7--Torque Simulation Sine Wave Brushless Controller
8--Suitable for 250-350W Sensor motor

Battery - Yose - https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bike-battery/products/36v-10-4ah-bottle-battery-e-bike
Voltage: 36V
Capacity: 10.4Ah
Standard Current: 10A
Max Current: 20A
Protect Current: 50A
End Voltage: 28V
Charge Voltage: 42V

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all - hoping for a bit of help here ...

My previous post was "..alternate battery and controller options to use with Swytch" .. thanks all for help on that one.

From this I purchased the following, all connected up and working.

Hoping KT settings can tweak / change up the speed limit, and that I have not made a mistate with what I bought (e.g battery)

My issue is the speed in power assist levels are lower than I expected - basically looking for assistance at top level to be a few more KMhs speed than it is giving., and hoping that the Swytch hub Sywtch/AKM 100SX-6XX-36H-S is not speed limited (was sure I read in some thread it was not )

Basically on Level 5 there is no assistance above around 18kmh ... I have searched a fair bit on this forum and others but no luck Left wondering is reason to do with the 10.6 battery output ? and if so how in the setup can increase this ? or is it other KT settings ? e.g. C2

All help welcome and hopefully answers can help others in future - thanks in advance - TC

Currently using KT settings from https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/settings-for-kt-controller-and-swytch-hub.46338/

KT -LCD 4 -
I have set the top speed to be 35 kmh - so was hoping for assistance to be a bit greater than the legal limit.

Controller -TBK T06S 36V/48V 250W-350W 15A KT SINE WAVE CONTROLLER WITH JULET WP PLUG
1--Rate Voltage:36V/48V
2--Rated Current:7A
3--Maximum Current:15±1A
4--Low Voltage Protection:DC30/40V±0.5V
5--Speed Set:1-4.2V
6--Brake input: Low-level
7--Torque Simulation Sine Wave Brushless Controller
8--Suitable for 250-350W Sensor motor

Battery - Yose - https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bike-battery/products/36v-10-4ah-bottle-battery-e-bike
Voltage: 36V
Capacity: 10.4Ah
Standard Current: 10A
Max Current: 20A
Protect Current: 50A
End Voltage: 28V
Charge Voltage: 42V
The battery won't affect the speed. 18km/hr is too low:
1. Did you check your actual speed with GPS or is that what you see on the LCD?
2. How fast did it go with the Swytch controller? It must go at least that speed.
3. Have you checked the speed with the wheel in the air or is 18km/hr the speed up a hill with a heavy rider?

KT controllers regulate the speed using commutation pulses. The one I tested kept the wheel at the same maximum speed when I changed the pulse rate on the speed sensor, but you should check all the settings that affect the interpretation of the speed anyway.

P1 affects how speed is controlled and displayed.
Wheel diameter affects how speed is displayed
P2 affects how the speed is displayed and might cut the speed if set too low. It should normally be 1 or 6, depending on which motor you have.

Please answer questions 1 to 3 above if you need more help from me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One expects P1 setting is wrong, try a higher value then 96 (suggest 100 to 132 ) until the speed cuts out at 25 kmh/15.5 mph ( varify with a gps) . Then reset the required spd limit in the basic settings.

P1 is a calculation of the motor ratio of motor magnets x int gearing ratio.
I once swappped my CST out for the Q128 and could only managed 10mph then it would cut out (I forgot to change P1 84 to the required 164 needed) , changed the value and and all was ok again.

Last edited:

FrTedCrilly

Jul 6, 2023
2. How fast did it go with the Swytch controller? It must go at least that speed.
3. Have you checked the speed with the wheel in the air or is 18km/hr the speed up a hill with a heavy rider?

KT controllers regulate the speed using commutation pulses. The one I tested kept the wheel at the same maximum speed when I changed the pulse rate on the speed sensor, but you should check all the settings that affect the interpretation of the speed anyway.

P2 affects how the speed is displayed and might cut the speed if set too low. It should normally be 1 or 6, depending on which motor you have.

Thanks for coming back …

On Answers
1.was just there - verified with Waze - actually about 16.5 kmh was the assist stop speed. Ease matched LCD display.
2. Re Swytch kit assist cut out - it’s been 2- years since I had it running , and no lcd on it from memory was higher than now
3.speeds on #1 were out on road cycling

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lightweight hub is said to be 6:1 ratio so do wonder if it is correct , original AKM 100's used ratio's between 8:6 - 12:6 so it may be that the ratio calc isn't correct.

FrTedCrilly

Jul 6, 2023
One expects P1 setting is wrong, try a higher value then 96 (suggest 100 to 132 ) until the speed cuts out at 25 kmh/15.5 mph ( varify with a gps) . Then reset the required spd limit in the basic settings.

P1 is a calculation of the motor ratio of motor magnets x int gearing ratio.
I once swappped my CST out for the Q128 and could only managed 10mph then it would cut out (I forgot to change P1 84 to the required 164 needed) , changed the value and and all was ok again.
I have P1 set at 96 .. which I got from other pedals Swytch related post … this obv assumes my hub is same - it is mark II hub - model in the 1st post

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
I have P1 set at 96 .. which I got from other pedals Swytch related post … this obv assumes my hub is same - it is mark II hub - model in the 1st post
I have an AKM100CST hub with T06S controller and the correct P1 setting for my hub is 227 (12.6 gear ratio x 18 magnets),

FrTedCrilly

Jul 6, 2023
The lightweight hub is said to be 6:1 ratio so do wonder if it is correct , original AKM 100's used ratio's between 8:6 - 12:6 so it may be that the ratio calc isn't correct.
Thanks @Nealh I tried 132 and way better - L5 assist cutting out at 23 kmh … which is fine . ( should I tweak up again to get to 25kmh ?
Is there units I should be going up ?
What’s does this mean for the magnets count in this hub ??? (In case others need it)

thanks for the great and prompt help guys

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks - will try this later …
You should always check the speed with the wheel in the air, not when riding the bike.

What are you using for a speed sensor? The early Swytch motors with no LCD had no internal sensor, so you'd need an external one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The higher p1 figure to get the right cut off spd suggests the IGR of 6:1 quoted is not right and the figure lies some where between 8.3 - 9:1 , also is the 16 motor magnet can confirmed.
P1 sound slike it will be 137 - 144 for that motor for 25km/h.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I have a motor tester that tests the Hall sensors, so I count how many times they flash. You can also do it by feel, with two phase wire tied together. I'm dubious about that, because of the strength of cogging, but people say it works.

By the way, I have an AKM 100 and mine is 12.5:1 gearing,

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's the issue with AKM's , one never knows which version /rpm someone is using. The ratio's vary so much from 8:3 - 13:2 , and now folks are saying 6:1 for the switch model.