KT sine wave controller- how to make unrestricted??

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hello, I have an ebike with a "KT sine wave controller 36V 500W 48V 500W Hailong controller Big Hailong battery case controller 36V / 48V 22A 9 mosfers".

It limits the bike to 16kmh speed. I want to remove the limit restriction to use on private land. How can I do this?

Is this controller programmed to limit speed by manufacturer or a market/specific use?

If I bought a new controller, would it still be limited?

I'm using a 1000w motor, with 48v 11ah battery and KT-LCD3 display.

See photos

Sorry for not giving more info, I'm not particularly technically minded!

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
hello, I have an ebike with a "KT sine wave controller 36V 500W 48V 500W Hailong controller Big Hailong battery case controller 36V / 48V 22A 9 mosfers".

It limits the bike to 16kmh speed. I want to remove the limit restriction to use on private land. How can I do this?

Is this controller programmed to limit speed by manufacturer or a market/specific use?

If I bought a new controller, would it still be limited?

I'm using a 1000w motor, with 48v 11ah battery and KT-LCD3 display.

See photos

Sorry for not giving more info, I'm not particularly technically minded!

Any help appreciated!
My guess is that the controller needs setting up, as the top speed should be legally 25 KMH, or around 15 MPH.
Die you maybe read KMH for MPH? If yes, your bike is legal!!
This video might help:-
Or this KT Manual:-
https://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7/0/9/57094291/handleiding-bizobike-kt-lcd3.pdf
I hope this helps.
Andy

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My guess is that the controller needs setting up, as the top speed should be legally 25 KMH, or around 15 MPH.
Die you maybe read KMH for MPH? If yes, your bike is legal!!
This video might help:-
Or this KT Manual:-
https://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7/0/9/57094291/handleiding-bizobike-kt-lcd3.pdf
I hope this helps.
Andy
Thanks Andy, but I've tried using the display to change the speed limit but it will not go past 16kmh/10mph. It's not exactly a 'bike' but a wheelchair attachment http://en.klaxon-klick.com/klick-electric-race-tetra/ which is why it's limited. But 10mph is very slow and what's the point of a 1000w motor limited to 10mph??

Cheers,

Dom

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks Andy, but I've tried using the display to change the speed limit but it will not go past 16kmh/10mph. It's not exactly a 'bike' but a wheelchair attachment http://en.klaxon-klick.com/klick-electric-race-tetra/ which is why it's limited. But 10mph is very slow and what's the point of a 1000w motor limited to 10mph??

Cheers,

Dom
I am a bit out of my depth now, but if you have a wheel size adjustment, try programming a smaller size wheel, that should help to increase the max speed available.
Is it still on a wheelchair, or is it now on a bike?
regards
Andy

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
See photo.

Yes, changing wheel size works and give much better speed performance, but after 5 mins it shuts off and need to restart.

IMG_1334.jpg

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
See photo.

Yes, changing wheel size works and give much better speed performance, but after 5 mins it shuts off and need to restart.

View attachment 30066
Super photo!! I have never seen one before, really interesting for many here I would imagine!!
My personal take, as you have little in the way of protective clothing on, no helmet for example, is to say leave it as it is.....
Furthermore, what does the law say with regard to such wheelchairs?
Is there a maximum legal speed, as if yes, and someone else gets injured, the law and any possible insurance covering you for 3rd party risks, will take a very dim view indeed....
Remember in an accident, everything will be checked out to make sure that the law is being followed.
A problem that many e-bikers apparently totally disregard!
You don't want to go there......
Sorry to be so negative.....but I wish you well.
Regards
Andy

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Cheers Andy, it is for use on private land therefore the laws regarding limits are not applicable. As you said about protective clothing etc, I don't need as I can't go faster than 10mph ...at the moment. I am an experienced hand biker and know the dangers and do use all protective gear especially as I regularly ride in sportives at up to 60kmh (downhill!)
Cheers!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As it is for a wheel chair my guess is that the controller or lcd are programmed to be legal for the wheel chair use which I think is about 8- 10mph max. The controller/lcd although Keunteng will likely be a customer customised programmed version not available through normal channels.

The other possible is the winding speed of the 1000w hub is low wound one so limiting the motor speed, not forgetting it is only a 14" wheel.

Last edited:

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As it is for a wheel chair my guess is that the controller or lcd are programmed to be legal for the wheel chair use which I think is about 8- 10mph max. The controller/lcd although Keunteng will likely be a customer customised programmed version available.
Thanks Neal, that's what I thought. Buying a duplicate controller without customisation from dealer should work, I hope! Cheers.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Cheers Andy, it is for use on private land therefore the laws regarding limits are not applicable. As you said about protective clothing etc, I don't need as I can't go faster than 10mph ...at the moment. I am an experienced hand biker and know the dangers and do use all protective gear especially as I regularly ride in sportives at up to 60kmh (downhill!)
Cheers!
Good for you!!
I am still unable to help further though, sorry, as I simply do not know enough to be of any help.
I am sure that others here know far better exactly what is required!
regards
Andy

Reactions: Dominic Coleman

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's finding out which/what is limiting the speed, if it is controller next step if finding a correct aftermarket KT controller with the correct connectors. I assume are all Julet so you need to be careful as some use 8 pin or 9pin interface connector from the controller for the display etc.

The user manual has 5 PAS levels as normal though each PAS level has a set speed ranging 3kmh - 15kmh so it may be that the lcd is a custom version and custom programmed , another easily sourced controller may not release more speed.

If you let folks know your local someone may be able to test by simply swapping the lcd over to try.
If you lived local to me I would happily lend a lcd to see if this was the case.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If it shuts down after 5 minutes, it's entering sleep mode because it's not getting a speed signal. Have you got a wheel speed sensor?

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Andy, I don't think that there is anything wrong with your kit.
you should ask the supplier (Klaxon) what the top speed is.
The motor may have been wound on purpose to provide high torque at low speed and a better control with the throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Top speed is 15km as in the user manual. So speed is either programmed of motor wound for high torque low speed.

• Useful

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
hi my name is Simon so wheelchair like you and also have a klacxon 1000w. did you find a solution?
It's because he had no wheel speed sensor and or the wrong setting for P2, which should be 0 for no wheel sensor, 1 if there is one or the motor has a single magnet one inside the hub, or 6 if the motor has 6 magnets. If the hub has a speed sensor, there will be the qhite wire in the motor cable. Tou can tell whether there are 1 or 6 magnets by the speed displayed on the LCD, which would be correct, 6 times too fast or 1/6 of the correct speed depending on what you set on P2.

lata94

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2021
It's because he had no wheel speed sensor and or the wrong setting for P2, which should be 0 for no wheel sensor, 1 if there is one or the motor has a single magnet one inside the hub, or 6 if the motor has 6 magnets. If the hub has a speed sensor, there will be the qhite wire in the motor cable. Tou can tell whether there are 1 or 6 magnets by the speed displayed on the LCD, which would be correct, 6 times too fast or 1/6 of the correct speed depending on what you set on P2.
Okay.
have I understood it correctly if I have to check on Display what P2 is on