KT48ZWSRM-HY02L - characteristics?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
There appears to be a bit of misunderstanding about KT controllers in this thread.

SVPR – sine wave
ZWSR – square wave

KT sine wave (SVPR) controllers are only available for sensored motors.

KT square wave (ZWSR) controllers are available for sensored, sensorless and dual-mode (both sensored and sensorless) operation.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Some controller can be dual mode
Yep apologies I get it - I suppose I should practice what I preach about doing extensive research - So one would deduce, if your controller is dual mode(hall sensor and un-sensored) but your motor was hall sensored you would get a hall sensor error if the motor sensors fail as your motor is not a non hall sensored motor it would not operate as one if the sensors did fail... correct me I am wrong

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Yep apologies I get it - I suppose I should practice what I preach about doing extensive research - So one would deduce, if your controller is dual mode(hall sensor and un-sensored) but your motor was hall sensored you would get a hall sensor error if the motor sensors fail as your motor is not a non hall sensored motor it would not operate as one if the sensors did fail... correct me I am wrong
A sensored motor can be paired with any of the above controllers - sensored, sensorless or dual-mode. There is no difference between sensored and sensorless motors, apart from the presence of hall sensors and the associated connector.

In the specific example you give, a dual-mode controller should revert to sensorless operation in the event that your motor's hall sensors fail.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The newer KT software L parameters has a setting should there be no halls or a hall failure. L3/1 is default L3/0 for no hall setting.

End of the day if OP orders/buys the kit he linked to it will work for sure.

Chees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
Thanks all. Agree that if I buy the kit it will work.

At this point I was just checking whether there is optionality for the future. That is, can I switch to a sine wave in future with minimal additional purchase (only a new controller)? From the discussion it looks like is possible but depends on the components I'm supplied. That means that only the seller can confirm for me, and they have shown some tendency to make mistakes with the specs so I don't know if I can trust them to get this right.

In the end it sounds like there isn't much difference between sine/square anyway so I may as well take the plunge, though would gladly check out any referral to a reputable seller that does sell a complete kit including sine wave controller (48v, geared, rear hub, cassette).