KTM Macina 29 stolen last night

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Hi all

My KTM Macina 29 was stolen from home last night.

Bike was "D" and cable locked. Covered in heavy duty motorcyle cover and tied.

Bike and locks gone, tie straps cut and cover on the ground.

Battery and HMI was luckily indoors. So some consolation.

My other Non ebike was left, could not cut the chain on that one.

Needless to say, I am less than happy.

Anyones sees it advertised, let me know and I'll be sure to go and retreive it.

Thank Ian SRS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So sorry to hear that Ian, the lack of the HMI and battery might hopefully help to bring it to light soon.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Flecc, thanks, lets hope so.

The police have all the details.
There are loads of old vans parked up the road with people living in them. Thefts have started since these vans arrived.

I'll hold my breath and see if the police investigate fully.

C

Cyclezee

Really sorry to hear this SRS.
I'm sure we will all keep a look out in all the usual places.

Where was it stolen from?
Just an approximate location if you don't want to reveal too much detail.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Really sorry to hear this SRS.
I'm sure we will all keep a look out in all the usual places.

Where was it stolen from?
Just an approximate location if you don't want to reveal too much detail.
Thanks for asking. Brighton.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
:(. Sorry to hear about you beautiful macina... hope you make progress and failing that have some sort of insurance? I haven't on mine as they asked really stupid price each month which would be more in total than paying for a pedelec bike in two years!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
:(. Sorry to hear about you beautiful macina... hope you make progress and failing that have some sort of insurance? I haven't on mine as they asked really stupid price each month which would be more in total than paying for a pedelec bike in two years!
Wissy, many thanks, it was insured and am just waiting to see what they will pay out.

It was locked up extremely well, with more than one decent lock and covered up out of sight

Makes me feel that someone local knew what was under the cover before they cut the cover off

Security is now very very much upgraded at a good deal of expense.

Bike aside, these robbers have no idea of the after effects on a family.

I now have a partner that feels we are going to be burgled any minute and a 5 year old that asks each morning if the robbers have been back.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Really sorry to hear this. People who do this have no concern for others. I will keep an eye out if anyone asks me for a battery and/or display. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Really sorry to hear this. People who do this have no concern for others. I will keep an eye out if anyone asks me for a battery and/or display. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!
Many thanks.

Who ever stole it, they can keep the bike. Now replaced.

Should any enquiries come you way for battery or HMI, please try to ascertain the thief's identity and whereabouts as I have an invoice I would like the courts to pass on.

Reactions: Helen C

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Well, the police have just closed my case. Got it in writing. Same letter as the last 4 time I were robbed.

Closed due to lack of evidence. They did not visit the crime scene so even if there was physical evidence they would not find it.

On the brighter side there is apparently CCTV footage showing the bike being taken and the face of the crook.

On the not so bright side, the face is not know to the police so not enough for them to keep the case open.

I have just been into the police station to request a copy of the video or a screen capture of the face. I suggested that I would keep a look out for the crook and call them if i see him.

Beyond belief, they will not release it due to data protection. Data protection, my ass. Criminal protection more like it.

Even if this guy was my next door neighbour, I would not know. How can the public assist the police when the police hide the only evidence available?

D

Deleted member 4366

That''s absolutely ridiculous.

It should be obvious where the camera is. Could you ask the owner for a copy to put on Youtube?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
That''s absolutely ridiculous.

It should be obvious where the camera is. Could you ask the owner for a copy to put on Youtube?
I agree, ridiculous. The camera in on the street within a gated community, operated by an onsite security team.

I have asked them for a copy, the same reply. Data protection.
Livid is not the word.
The only time there is evidence and I am not allowed to see it.

I put it to the police that it was to protect the criminal, just in case I or someone else found the culprit, and sorted him.

They agreed with my reasoning. However, had it been someones home cctv, that would be ok for me to check out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the brighter side there is apparently CCTV footage showing the bike being taken and the face of the crook.

On the not so bright side, the face is not know to the police so not enough for them to keep the case open.

I have just been into the police station to request a copy of the video or a screen capture of the face. I suggested that I would keep a look out for the crook and call them if i see him.

Beyond belief, they will not release it due to data protection.
As irritating as this naturally is, there may be a general ruling in place. Not all such CCTV videos will be absolute proof of a crime and a person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Because of widespread public concern about the "Big Brother" aspects of our comprehensive CCTV* coverage, there are many legal restrictions on how the media is used.

*More than anywhere else in the world

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
As irritating as this naturally is, there may be a general ruling in place. Not all such CCTV videos will be absolute proof of a crime and a person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Because of widespread public concern about the "Big Brother" aspects of our comprehensive CCTV* coverage, there are many legal restrictions on how the media is used.

*More than anywhere else in the world
Flecc, I believe that the UK has more CCTV cameras than almost any other country.

Seeing that we appear to have to accept these cameras, it makes it all the more irritating that I cannot view the footage.

The police have footage of a man cycling my bike away. My bike and the guys face.

I am sure he was not taking it home to wash for me.
I think that he was actually stealing it. He has certainy not returned it.

The police may have closed the case but I have not. The so called legal restrictions prevent me from recognising this man should he be in the area again.

And they ask the public to be vigilant and assist in anyway possible, hmm!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I certainly sympathise, it must be incredibly frustrating. You could make a freedom of information application to the authority whose TV camera it was, you certainly have just cause. Here's the "How To" link:

Freedom of Information application

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Thanks, I am awating on a meeting with the security manager, I'll see what the outcome of this is first.

At the end of the day, I have replaced the bike added additional security and am awaiting on the insurance company to (hopefully) pay out.

Frustration is the word.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi all

My KTM Macina 29 was stolen from home last night.

Bike was "D" and cable locked. Covered in heavy duty motorcyle cover and tied.

Bike and locks gone, tie straps cut and cover on the ground.

Battery and HMI was luckily indoors. So some consolation.

My other Non ebike was left, could not cut the chain on that one.

Needless to say, I am less than happy.

Anyones sees it advertised, let me know and I'll be sure to go and retreive it.

Thank Ian SRS
Hi. One on sale on Ebay right now. Seller states it is new and was purchased as a present for his son. States he threw the receipt away! Also says he has charger. May be worth a look.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi. One on sale on Ebay. Seller says it was bought as a present for his son however seller says he has thrown the receipt away! May be worth taking a look.