Kudos-KTM Roadshow,Manifold Trail,Derbyshire,April 13,12.00-17.00

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The simplest solution is to fit a throttle and use your own computer - it is called a brain.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So basically the purpose of a torque sensor is to increase the range and make the bike harder to ride! I prefer my cheapo kit where I'm getting lots of power all the time and if I pedal harder I can see the current come down or the speed increase.
No, a torque sensor just imitates normal cycling, pedal harder to get more performance. Simple!

In the other 26 countries of the EU they don't have throttles, they ride pedelecs, mostly with torque sensors, which doesn't seem to be problem for the 400 million of them. Below are the rounded sales in some key EU cycling countries and the UK of e-bikes per one million of population in 2012:

The Netherlands: 12,000

Germany: 4,400

Belgium: 2,090

UK: 320

The "advantage" of having a throttle option doesn't seem to be doing much for us!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
No, a torque sensor just imitates normal cycling, pedal harder to get more performance. Simple!

Until you want to ride the bike with no assistance the you have to switch the systems off and on, with a throttle you just let go thus preserving your battery .

I imagine most Europeans are struggling to get the range out of their bikes as the motor seems to be in constant use whether they need it or not.

Works for millions of Chinese and others worldwide.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
So basically the purpose of a torque sensor is to increase the range and make the bike harder to ride! I prefer my cheapo kit where I'm getting lots of power all the time and if I pedal harder I can see the current come down or the speed increase.
Just out of interest, what kit do you have & is it modified for more grunt?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Until you want to ride the bike with no assistance the you have to switch the systems off and on, with a throttle you just let go thus preserving your battery .

I imagine most Europeans are struggling to get the range out of their bikes as the motor seems to be in constant use whether they need it or not.

Works for millions of Chinese and others worldwide.
wow I have to click a button rather than let go of a throttle some hardship.

helecats

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Just out of interest, what kit do you have & is it modified for more grunt?
Just a standard 8fun 250 watt kit. I should rephrase loads of power what I meant was I have power all the time when I am pedalling with not much effort. I like to pedal but have a bad knee so light pedalling suits me. I found on the Bosch that I needed to push a lot harder to get power. Maybe I just needed to to ride the bike more to get the best out of it.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
wow I have to click a button rather than let go of a throttle some hardship.
Hi GaRRy,

I am just worried about the technology route we seem to be going down.

I envisage a future bike loaded with electronics taking away the "intuitive feel" of riding a bike.

The technology is already in place, electronic gear changing controlled by an output from the controller, ceramic gyros to detect inclines, proximity detectors to avoid obstacles all linked up to a gps system and together with an electronically controlled twin bike rest (for when it needs to stop) you should be able to program in you journey and the bike will take you there - of course only if you are turning the pedals;)