Lafree Twist Series Owners Repair Information

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Increasing demand from owners for more information on the repair and maintenance of the Panasonic motor unit in the Giant Lafree Twist series has prompted me to produce a highly detailed and very fully illustrated online facility for them.

This will also be of some use to owners of other bikes using this unit or it's later Li-ion version, such as the Gazelle Easy Rider, the Bike Flyer, The Swiss Flyer C model and others. Here's the link:

Panasonic Unit Repairs

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
Another masterstroke Flecc. The article is as comprehensive and well illustrated as anyone could wish for. I hope I'll not need it as my Twist no.2 is still thriving, but I'll make sure I've got it bookmarked just in case! I hope my mental faculties are as acute as yours when and if I get to be your age.
Alan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Alan, your comments coming from someone else who has stripped this unit are all the more appreciated. With regards to your present Twist, I doubt lightning will strike twice since it's very much a minority which have caused a problem.

As for the mental faculties, I think it's just the old principle of "Use it or lose it", doing things like this forcing the grey matter into staying alive. :)

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Thanks Flecc, very informative.

Regarding the handlebar control, mine works fine but is loose on the mount. This causes it to rattle a bit. I am wary of this as things which rattle like this invariable wear and eventually break. For the moment I have jammed a small piece of rubber in to prevent the movement. Is there a better solution?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't come across this being severe Tangent, though some do slide quite freely. It sounds as though it's just looseness on the slide runners which are unlikely to fail completely. You could smear some Bluetack or similar onto the slide runners so that it's stickiness keeps movement minimal to prevent further wear, or even silicone rubber if any is to hand. If it's not exactly what you've already done, another approach would be to introduce a small piece of stiff sponge rubber in the centre between the slide and mount as you slide the switch onto it's mount to take up the slack.

However, your present solution is probably ok to prevent further wear leading to failure.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Thanks, I am wary because I have had bike lights fall off due to wear like this. However, lights are much heavier of course.